Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Looking for an OD/Distortion with 2 modes/switches

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
edited September 2014 in FX
Hello all, 

I am looking for something that has two distortion/OD settings on one pedal. 
Ideally something that isn't massive like a Vox Satchurator.

I can rule out the Satchurator and Radial Texas bones as I found them both a bit... well.. shit if I am honest

Edit - will consider bigger pedals

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Been looking long and hard at the Palisades by EQD

Cheers
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Blackstar duals normal or metal.
    Wampler Dual Fusion

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Xotic AC Plus

• TC Nova Drive.

Not sure I can think of any more. Size is the toughest bit. You simply need room for the pedal switches 

• shadyshady Frets: 252
    edited September 2014
    T-Rex do a couple - Mudhoney II and Dr. Swamp might tickle yer fancy.

MXR Double Shot?
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

TC Nova Drive? Not cheap and not small, but works as two (analogue) pedals in one box. Also has clever bits to store settings in 18 separate patches. When I got mine, I realised pretty soon that it's better to just see it as a sort of cascading gain stage distortion rather than try to set an overdrive sound, a distortion sound and then hope that the two together would work as well. In other words, I use whatever combination of one or both pedals (or gain stages) to get a sound, store it, rinse and repeat.

With the 3-way footswitch, it can be used in bank mode - 6 banks (A to F), each with 3 completely separate sound patches (plus bypass). The switches on the pedal then scroll through the banks and the ones on the footswitch select patches 1,2,3 in the current bank. (So, unlike the Satchurator, you can have On, More and Even More.)

Because it's a pedal with programmable settings, the knobs don't mean much when you select a patch (they're encoders, really), although turning a knob causes a couple of LEDs to activate to show which way to turn it to get it to match its setting in the current patch. If you turn the patch selector all the way to the left, you get to a 'live' or 'manual' mode where all of the knob settings you see are the settings it's using.

Before I got it, I was looking at the two separate pedals idea until I realised that it was quite an expensive way to go with far less versatility (assuming 80 quid or so each for decent overdrive and distortion boxes). The Nova Drive can be had for 160 quid in a couple of places (Anderton's and GAK), and the footswitch is about 40.

So far, I've set up 6 sounds (basically a rock bank and a blues bank, the latter having less crunch/saturation than the former). Scope to add other sets of patches for other guitars, of course. I use bank F for patches I'm farting about with.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Do you want something that is two pedals in one box or has two modes in one box?
  • Do you want something that is two pedals in one box or has two modes in one box?
    either really. If it has a boost as well its a bonus
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • There's always the Boss Turbo Overdrive and Turbo Distortion (with an additional small remote switch).
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Do you want something that is two pedals in one box or has two modes in one box?
    either really. If it has a boost as well its a bonus
    I generally find two pedal in one box solutions a bit of a letdown especially if you end up liking one half, but not the other. 

The Jekyll and Hyde is good and can be had for bugger all. 
  • Line 6 m5? That'll give you loads of sounds from one box. If not , boss turbo distortion.
  • The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the jekyll and hyde. The empress has too much going on for me by the looks of it!

Deucetone rat?

Boss ds-2 (but you don't like satchurator so might not be your cuppa).

I loved the satchurator myself, great for pushing an amp into heavy rhythm and lead.
  • BodBod Frets: 1351
    edited September 2014
    I heart my Blackstar HT-Dual.  It's bloody lovely.  I occasionally do a kiss on it.

EDIT - I do also occasionally punch the external PSU though grrr.  At least it's inline and not a wallwart type.
  • I like the jekyll and hyde. The empress has too much going on for me by the looks of it!

Deucetone rat?

Boss ds-2 (but you don't like satchurator so might not be your cuppa).

I loved the satchurator myself, great for pushing an amp into heavy rhythm and lead.
    I cant really push a Twin into break up.
    The satchurator for me just didn't have much variation. The gain dial didn't really do anything until 12 0'clock and after that it was just a bit meh for me personally. 

I will check out the deucetone
  • whoa £240 for a deuce tone. 
    Is it any different from using 2 Rat pedals at £35/£40 a piece?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    @meltedbuzzbox

King of Tone is....the King of Tone....!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• meltedbuzzbox;347831" said:
    whoa £240 for a deuce tone. Is it any different from using 2 Rat pedals at £35/£40 a piece?
    Probably not, but you wanted two in one box ;)

Plus the rat is an awesome sounding dirt box.
  • +1 for the King Of Tone. Loadsa money but it is very splendid. I use the Radial TriMode. Had the Texas Bones as well as the Fullerton and they were indeed both shit. The Trimode is something else. It just does everything and does it very very very well.

• @Gassage they seem to be as rare as hens teeth over here. 

I am guessing you have one>?
  • Perhaps a Twinstomp? I sold mine recently but only because I no longer need 2 drives. They are great pedals.

http://www.twinstomp.com/