Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your favourite budget delay?

mike257mike257 Frets: 374
As the title really - I've got to put some funds into other bits besides guitar toys (outrageous, I know) and as I seem to have shifted from most of my gigging being on guitar back to my natural home on bass then I'm thinking of raising some cash by downgrading some of my pedals for budget alternatives while they aren't seeing much use.  

So, with that in mind, if I was to cash in my Carbon Copy, what cheap and cheerful delays are theFB's gear hounds enjoying?  I previously had a Joyo Digital Delay (the silver one with eagle graphic) that the CC replaced, that always did a pretty good job, but would be good to know where else you're getting cheap kicks from!

Cheers, 

Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Second hand Ibanez DE7.  One of my favourite delays regardless of price.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Picked up a Marshall Echohead 2nd hand recently. Doubt it's the best delay in the world, but does a pretty good job with plenty of options
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Picked up a Marshall Echohead 2nd hand recently. Doubt it's the best delay in the world, but does a pretty good job with plenty of options
    I did like the Echohead, sounded pretty decent - mine just kept acting weirdly and would randomly decide to just make odd buzzing noises instead of letting any signal through.   :-O
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Guyatone md3. Really simple and doesn't change your sound at all.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    I really liked the EHX Memory Toy when I had it, once you open it up and tweak the intensity of the modulation it can sound really great! 
  • Digidelay is great.
  • Ana Echo is good
  • Nux Time Force. 10 different delays, 9 presets, tap tempo. Currently £37.99 on eBay from China, £42.59 from UK.
  • Fuzzdog said:
    Picked up a Marshall Echohead 2nd hand recently. Doubt it's the best delay in the world, but does a pretty good job with plenty of options
    I did like the Echohead, sounded pretty decent - mine just kept acting weirdly and would randomly decide to just make odd buzzing noises instead of letting any signal through.   :-O
    Ah! Touch wood, mine's been ok so far!
  • Fuzzdog;347655" said:
    Second hand Ibanez DE7.  One of my favourite delays regardless of price.
    I bieve this does self oscillation if you want to simulate the alien invasion.

Otherwise another vote for the Digidelay which is the Vauxhall Astra of delay pedals: cheap, reliable, easy to use and a safe choice rather than anything flash.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Caline blue ocean, cheap Chinese DBD clone
  • For basic no frills delay, I'd go for the Belcat Analog Delay, I picked up mine for a £10 second hand and it's on my board as a thickener after my delaylab.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I used an Arion DDS-1 that I got in 1989 until very recently. 
    I also use an Arion SAD-1 which is a brilliant analogue delay
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Cheers guys, loads of good ideas there - time to go and check out some videos and things.  I've currently got the Carbon Copy for my basic delays and the EHX Memory Boy Deluxe for my tap tempo shenanigans so if I can find cheap-but-decent alternatives I might offload both - that'll help me fill the gaps in my microphone collection for my PA jobs!
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    If you could find a second hand Line6 M5 it would give you plenty of delay options with lots more goodies to play with. Same with a Zoom G3.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3534
    Mooer Reecho, check it out.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Third vote for the Digidelay. For the dollar, you can't really go wrong.

And yes I've said that about more than one Digitech pedal......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• GassageGassage Frets: 31252
    MIJ DD2.

Utterly sublime.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1772
    My Belcat Delay. Cost about £18 and four years on it's still going strong and sounding great week in week out at gigs.
  • Gassage;347982" said:
    MIJ DD2.

Utterly sublime.
    I think early dd3 and dsd3's used the same chip and mostly circuit (albeit a bit different with the dsd3), and can sometimes be had cheaper.

That's assuming the chip does make that much difference - I've not had first hand experience and I'm going on Internet wisdom which can be a load of cobblers, so if I'm wrong correct me and I'll edit!