Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Old Black

What's Hot

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    edited September 2022
    Fantastic work as always Wez.  Very inspiring.  Its hard to tell but the scratchplate on the original looks as though there are some
    pretty significant scratches at about a 45 degree from the strumming hand. But because if the way the light falls on that pic its hard to make out how defined they are 

amazed you managed to get that skunk stripe looking so neat all the way through the body and neck (well,
    not amazed you did it - just amazed full stop ! ) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I still need to figure out the plate.   It still needs something more
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20597
    WezV said:
    I still need to figure out the plate.   It still needs something more
    Might this be of any help?
    I was thinking of it possibly giving a faux 'brass underneath' part worn through look to the scratch plate.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This is where i am at so far.

Based on this picture, you can clearly see an area worn right through to the brass base material

I've drawn on similar wear with a sharpie

And the engraved it in with the dremel graver.  This should allow me to but some scratch filler in the marks and look a dirty brown colour, if not brassy

the bit i might struggle to do is the  worn through layers of plating on top of the brass, but that is what i am workign on now

a light sanding, some fake dirt, and a dip in bleach

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I hope you lined the scratch line up with the arc of the bigsby arm tip, as that is what caused the original one... it'll look odd otherwise.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

it lines up pretty closely with that.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    definitely getting very close - maybe the oval swirl goes ever closer to the top lip of the plate ? 
    Im trying not to overdo that.  
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    It looks like it really needs polishing up in the worn areas - the 'oval' and the tip.
    Yeah, gonna try some polish as a next step. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Looks virtually identical to the top photo to me
  • At this stage I feel like it's important to give it some authentic actual play wear from a real guitarist. I am happy to take on this important task for the low fee of absolutely no money at all. Should take me about 3 years, ok? :D 

(awesome work... can't wait to see it finished)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s a great piece of work,you should be proud of your skills.Looks like it’s nearly ready for “Down by the river”or Cortez the killer.Be interesting to see what song it debut’s on.
  • glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    It’s a great piece of work,you should be proud of your skills.Looks like it’s nearly ready for “Down by the river”or Cortez the killer.Be interesting to see what song it debut’s on.
    Probably "Cinnamon Girl"  :3
  • bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 271
    edited October 2022
    WezV said:
    a light sanding, some fake dirt, and a dip in bleach

This is going to be such a goddamn cool LP.
    Hmmmm...re the "brass showing through" area? Now that you've dremeled it, I wonder if painting in some Humbrol brass/gold metallic enamel paint, then letting that dry before sanding it back until you're happy with the result might get closer to the outcome you're hoping for?
    To be clear, I've never done this, but a quick check online at a couple of model building threads does suggest you can sand this, in fact that's standard practice for modellists, and that might offer up the cool option of a metallic look.
    Failing that, some brass leaf might work too. Easy to glue on but obviously pretty fragile. Plus it might require a few layers of clear coat to ensure it remains intact? Not sure how that would affect the rest of the pickguard though...

Thanks so much for this thread regardless @WezV ;;;it's a joy to watch this project some together.
    Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
  • glt56 said:
    It’s a great piece of work,you should be proud of your skills.Looks like it’s nearly ready for “Down by the river”or Cortez the killer.Be interesting to see what song it debut’s on.
    glt56 said:   
    And the list goes on 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    glt56 said:

Shouldn't really be - I saw Neil & Crazy Horse on the Psychedelic Pill tour, and Cinnamon Girl was the one song he *didn't* use Old Black on... he used his goldtop. (Probably because it's in a different tuning, although I'm not sure.) Anyway, it sounded better than Old Black :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    glt56 said:

Shouldn't really be - I saw Neil & Crazy Horse on the Psychedelic Pill tour, and Cinnamon Girl was the one song he *didn't* use Old Black on... he used his goldtop. (Probably because it's in a different tuning, although I'm not sure.) Anyway, it sounded better than Old Black :).
    Cinnamon Girl is double drop D I think
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    ICBM said:
    glt56 said:

Cinnamon Girl is double drop D I think
    Yep. Lovely tuning :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires