Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Old Black

What's Hot
Im finally getting ro make one.

The aim here will be to get as close as possible to this

It started as a 52/53  les paul and his been through many changes.  Im going to try and recreate as much as possible.

The starting point is this rather nice shiny MIJ tokai.

It will get fully stripped back to wood.   Converted to 53 specs with P90's, then taken through all the NY mods.

The headstock will have a binding ridge without binding added, and a Gibson style crown inlay.  Body will get the P90 routes, mini switch added, bigsbsy.

The whole rear will get the stripe and metal plates.

It will be refinised in Black nitro and heavily aged.

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    That is one heck of a project. Good luck!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    Can’t wait to see this…
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    ..Dibs maybe?? :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    This one has a home
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    Gibson now offers an Old Black replica at a price that is taking me Out Of My Mind. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    This will be far more accurate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    WezV said:
    This one has a home
    BAH!!! That's ok - i'm sure it'll make the eventual owner VERY happy!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Mega cool project, looking forward to this. Relic work is going to take aaaages! 
    Ragged Glory :)
    edited August 2022
    The relic work is the easy bit.   

That back stripe is the bit i need to think about a lot before i take tools to wood.   A few ways i could go with it.

I'm also trying to decide how much of a gold top to make it before it becomes old black.  The more i look at it the more I think it needs some remnants of aged bronze powder goldtop under that black.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 765
    Absolutely in to see updates on this

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    The back stripe always makes me think the whole thing was bandsawed in half up the middle then glued back together :).

What’s under the extra round cover plate? I forget… I did know at one time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2022
    note that the back stripe inlay is missing on 3/4 of the body, and the remaining channel gets narrower towards the neck.

The neck has certainly had a lot of work early in it's life.  The crown inlay suggests it went back to Gibson for a repair in the early 60's. Really it's all a mystery as it happened so early in the guitars life, much of it before it was given to Young

the back plate suggests it had a switch added  behind the bridge.  It is the same size as the toggle switch cover.  This also suggests it went through a few bridge changes early in its life too.  it looks like it may have had a stop bar tailpiece at some point between its early 50's bridge and Bigsby periods. 

this is apparently 69

The pickup change is well documented.  Interestingly you can see something going on under the B3, and the mini switch by controls has not been added.  It's also very shiny and reflecting the trem/bridge

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    edited August 2022
    What an interesting project, the research looks as much fun as replicating it. Looks like quite a project, but based on what youve already done, it will be a cracker!
    Following this joker….
    I wonder if the switch behind the bridge was the bypass all controls switch, which was then located between the pots when the Bigsby was fitted?.,Or perhaps its is the switch under the B3 that looks awkward to access and perhaps relocated
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

There is a pretty good conversion here which may interest those waiting to see how i go about it.

https://ap-luthier.com/AP-Luthier/OldBlackI.htm
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2676
    Very cool project. Out of interest why did you go down the Tokai route as opposed to building from scratch?
    I am not planning on making any more LP's. I want to focus on the hollowbody stuff and some of my own designs.

I am still taking on the occasional refinish/relic job, so this falls into that category
    edited August 2022
    The first hurdle introduced by the Tokai choice is obviously removing the finish.  I did check a few thinners/strippers to see if anything would touch it, but as expected no joy.

the black actually peels off rather easy once you find an edge to go at, leaving the sealer coat underneath 

I am down to the sealer coat on top, through to the wood on a few patches near the waist on the bass side

I have to say, Tokai did a really good job on this finish on this, definitely not a thick gloopy finish.   It is a relatively thin coat of sealer that should sand away relatively quickly.  The black/clear coats were pretty thin too

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    WezV said:
    There is a pretty good conversion here which may interest those waiting to see how i go about it.

https://ap-luthier.com/AP-Luthier/OldBlackI.htm
    Cool project. A few things bounced around my head reading that:

Neck centre strip; what a massive pain in the arse, could only be justified in the event of a terrible crack with the rod pushing through.

Binding with nibs, how could/do Gibson waste man hours on so something so pointless

The welded on copper bigsby tip! 

Aluminium plates and hardware look pretty cool on a black guitar.

Daniel Lanois has his own old black style guitar modelled after Young's:

Dan is a cunning guy, he also kinda stole edge's AC30 delay rig tricks for his own use hahaha

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    edited August 2022
    Not sure about that. Edge only begins using that layered ambience on The Unforgettable Fire, co-produced by …

Back on topic.

One original 1952/53 spec detail that you might prefer to dodge is the neck pitch angle associated with the trapeze "wrap under" tailpiece!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    just done a little test with an aftermarket metal P-90 cover to see if that gets us close.  I've added a little physical wear, nothing chemical yet.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom