Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Old Black

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I've had a look but not found anything Pre NY.

In the mean time i have sealed the stripped guitar and sprayed a tobacco/amber mix over the mahogany to give a good base.  I tinted the sealer as i don't  want any clear lacquer layers when i come to age this, just raw dirty wood or old lacquer.

Just waiting on some goldtop powder as i can't find the stuff i had since my last move..  then it will get 3 or 4 coats of tinted clear.... basically the aim is a very thin sunken grain gold top finish at that point, ready for the old black mods. 

I was hoping to get all that done prior to having a short holiday, but slow postage stopped that happening

I think skipping grainfiller will be right for the final look on this.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've only just noticed this thread... interesting project (and personally I love the look of when you're trying to do).

One, possibly stupid, question though - why all the speculation about what the stripe on the back is? Does Young's original guitar not exist any more? If it does then surely there's somebody who must know for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1091
    I love this and can't wait to see how it turns out. 

The stripe definitely is pinstriped. Zooming right in on a picture shared earlier in the thread shows it really well. 

edited August 2022
    No doubt its pin stiped in some way.   I dont think its  w/b/w/b/w purfling though, but a strip of ridged metal and a load of dirt in the grooves. 

This is based on prior reports its a metal strip, and the metallic appearance you can see round the heel. Plus a metal strip would look different in different photos and lighting, wheras purfling would always look  obviously like purfling.

I will likely be doing a plain aluminium strip for this in a nod to the original, without a weird feel.    Only question for me to figure out is whether i install that strip before or after the black finish work.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2022

One, possibly stupid, question though - why all the speculation about what the stripe on the back is? Does Young's original guitar not exist any more? If it does then surely there's somebody who must know for sure.
    I think for NY it was only ever a tool he used, and he simply wouldnt care about any of this stuff. 

Anything aesthetic was done before he had it.  Anything since has been about keeping it working and gigging.

There are likely many who know for sure, and very few of them who care.

Goldtop coats done.

Not perfect, but it rarely is first time with bronze powder.   Most old gibson goldtops show signs they have had multiple attempts at getting the gold right.

Thankfully this one doesn't need to be perfect as its mostly oversprayed with the black anyway.

This will now get a few costs of amber/tan clear.  Then the fun begins
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Great stuff, nice to see progress
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2522

The stripe definitely is pinstriped. Zooming right in on a picture shared earlier in the thread shows it really well. 

Neil Young is right into old American cars and model railways (railroads?), so pinstriping makes sense.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    edited August 2022
    Ddigger said:

Neil Young is right into old American cars and model railways (railroads?), so pinstriping makes sense.
    Im not so sure about pinstriping, I would have expected some to have worn off…and yet it appears to be complete all along the neck and body, although I concede it would be significantly easier to apply and much less invasive than inlaying a strip of ally or binding…I guess we will never know for sure
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Ddigger said:
    A piece of metal trim makes sense for the same reason,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    edited August 2022
    WezV said:

Aluminium will oxidise with household bleach.   That gets us here.

This new learning amazes me! Vapour bath or direct to the surface?
    i tend to mix up a strong bleach solution and submerge the whole part
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2022
    I found a sheet of aluminium i will likely use for the metal parts and stripe.  Didn't realize i still had a full sheet hanging around, so this is a bonus, although I will need to take a bit diagonally from the middle to get a long strip for the neck. 

Metal work should start soon

• davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    You're a braver man than me cutting a long thin strip from sheet! Personally, for the sake of 4 quid I'd start with one of these and trim the width to fit.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/aluminium-flat-bar-combitech-profile-1m-x-11.5mm/12816569.html
    it's only 1.5mm thick so should be easy enough.  I do have backup plans 1 and 2 if it doesn't work ;)
    done all the rough metal work

The strips are 1/4" wide and 1.5mm thick.

just roughly placed in position here, but these look like they will work well

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    Will you be scoring/staining/whatever? that 'pinstripe' pattern into the metal strips or leaving them plain?
    edited August 2022
    just plain i think - this will already be closer than most old black replicas
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    Wow, nice metalworking!
  • glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    OH WOW, I LIKE IT!!! Might get another gold one!  :#