59 Conversion - I dare say a healthy discussion will follow

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    The issue with these is how do you authenticate what are supposedly ‘original’ elements? And is it ‘better’ than a CS reissue/hand-built fake/‘clone’?
    You can't and it's not.

The asking price is completely taking the piss. I wouldn't have been surprised to read that it had previously been routed for a Floyd Rose and then restored by Ed Roman
    This prompted me to go down a mini Ed Roman wormhole. I remember his website and that he was prone to hyperbole but blimey he really didn't gaf did he
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3346
    edited August 2022
    Maybe its identified as a burst. We can't then argue with that can we.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    What if you identified as an original joke
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14011
    I presume that once the auction has finished, the actual sale price is published... perhaps we should start a competition to guess a sum closest to the purchase price (ex-fees).  I'm willing to donate a c.30 year-old set of Danelectro 10-46 strings (guaranteed unopened and unmolested) to the lucky winner :-)
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3346
    ligroberty said:
    lighten up fella
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14011
    edited August 2022
    ligroberty said:
    lighten up fella
    Well it made me grin.  I even had to think about it first :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2522
    Non-original switch tip - that's me out, at any price...

I'd also have to factor in a "Cleartone" conversion and Harley Benton pickups...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32376

Think the humbuckers and case are the only + points in this example
    It says the pickups are "probably" original PAFs, which is not good enough in that price range.

"Probably" sounds like a disclaimer to me, because they know they're not real.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1121
    £30k for a guitar that no-one really seems to know the whole story of?

I'd rather have a Yaron burst and £20k in my pocket.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20585
    BigPaulie said:

This is why the theory of relativity is not straightforward...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    BigPaulie said:

Yeah but old wood innit.

Bear in mind that you can get many un-fucked-around-with 50s Gibsons for that sort of money, including a Custom I think. (Pricing info may be slightly out of date now, but not too far out.) It’s only if you must have something which looks like a “burst” that you need to spend more on a dog’s dinner than a largely or completely original guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Like most people here I'm struggling with this a bit. I can understand why luthier/restorers make these because they are so oddly valuable, but in the process this hasn't just been repaired & refinished it seems to have had some of the wood replaced, or covered up.
    Philistine probably, but i'd rather it had been refinished gold again & made into a '53 '54 alike with humbuckers, as these had already been fitted. It would sound just as good & there would be more of it left. And no need for the serial nunber B/S.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
    Joe Bonamassa already bought it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    My problem is most 50s goldtops were rarely centre seamed so it could just be a good stig replica anyway.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    The more you look, the more wrong it appears. 
    The solder on the back of the pickups is shiny and new, and in odd places - and doesn’t line up with the covers. The pole piece screws are very shiny…

Its a bitsa and I’m struggling to see what’s left of it that’s “old”. Old wood *perhaps* but even that is questionable.

if the identification of this guitar hinges on a set of inlays… which could have been rescued from an old Les Paul…. I think only a fool would spend fortunes here.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    Like most people here I'm struggling with this a bit. I can understand why luthier/restorers make these because they are so oddly valuable, but in the process this hasn't just been repaired & refinished it seems to have had some of the wood replaced, or covered up.
    Philistine probably, but i'd rather it had been refinished gold again & made into a '53 '54 alike with humbuckers, as these had already been fitted. It would sound just as good & there would be more of it left. And no need for the serial nunber B/S.

makes sense 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    My problem is most 50s goldtops were rarely centre seamed so it could just be a good stig replica anyway.
    It's a new top. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6231
    Every time I see anything about these conversions, all I can think about is how sad it is that another gorgeous P90 guitar was killed off to make a far more run of the mill and ordinary HB version.  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    dazzajl said:
    Every time I see anything about these conversions, all I can think about is how sad it is that another gorgeous P90 guitar was killed off to make a far more run of the mill and ordinary HB version.  :/
    Like people who decide to have plastic surgery to look like someone else…
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6231
    dazzajl said:
    Like people who decide to have plastic surgery to look like someone else…
    Exactly!!

Unless it’s to look like me, of course ;)