Q4 22 Challenge: LP Senior (Finished!)

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• gretschthumpergretschthumper Frets: 89
    edited January 2023
    And here is the finished article, I’m just gonna play it for a while now!

And many thanks to forum members for advice along the way  :) 
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2522
    Fantastic.

Who needs a neck pickup anyway. 

Sometimes a guitar doesn't need to anymore than what you have there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Ddigger, there’s times when plug’n’play is the best option :)
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    Fantastic job! Love a junior.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Ddigger said:

Sometimes a guitar doesn't need to anymore than what you have there.
    Some of my favourite guitars are single pick up builds.

If that plays and sounds half as good as it looks, that’s a really successful build @gretschthumper - congratulations.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Thanks chaps! Building is addictive too, I’ve already got ideas for the next one simmering away  :)
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Love the colour you got on this - been really great to watch you bring it together.

WRT the fretwork - If you're experience is like mine, after you do a couple you may find that you get better and better at the subtleties of fretting and fret levelling/dressing. It took me a few guitars before I could get really quality results that I was happy with ( having played guitar for nigh on 43 years )

Once you get good at the fretwork its easy to go back to the first couple/few guitars and bring them right up to professional standard fretwork, and they're even more of a joy to play. 

Whats next ? 
  • Thanks @PeteC, glad you like it! It’s been enjoyable learning to build a guitar, and I’m grateful for your help (along with @davros & @WezV ) along the way.

I think I’ve got my head round the fretting thing now - for next time I’m going to make a fret press, as the frets were pretty uneven this time, which meant I had to dress away an awful lot with the levelling beam, and I think a press would make for more even pressure than just hammering them in.

The plan for the next one is 335 shape, but carved from two pieces, front & back … I have the wood already, mahogany  planks I inherited from my Dad, and I think there’s enough to make a body ( and neck out of as well, if I laminate the pieces) - might even go for a slotted headstock too. Still not quite got the idea sorted out, but it should be fun :)

But I’m going to wait for warmer weather before I start, as it’s still freezing in that garage.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    Look forward to seeing your next build! A 335 is a sizable progression from a junior. Check out my "ES337" thread, I learnt a lot of new techniques in that build, but it was good fun! If you are carving the inside of the top/back l, I'd recommend getting a gouge, makes it much easier.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    That's lovely! you should be proud of yourself!