The Jam - Rickenbackers etc.

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4055
I went to the latest Jam exhibition in Brighton at the weekend. Met Nicky Weller and have to say she was a lovely lady; so warm and welcoming. I took a few close ups of the Ricks that were on display for anyone who’s interested. The only one that showed any signs of care/recent play was the black one, owned by Steve Cradock. That missing paint always intrigued me on the headstock; now I know. The pop art painted one surprised me at how ‘brushed’ it actually is. The Boys 330 will always be my favourite, I was loving it. It was strange to be only inches from the guitars that I’ve ogled over for the last 40 odd years that made all those songs.

Also some old guitar shop receipts from back in the day that might be of interest. 

The show is on for a little while longer, well worth a visit if you’re a Jam geek.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7010
    I didn’t know this was on. Thanks for sharing the pics. I also didn’t know The ‘Wham’ Ric wasn’t painted on the reverse.

Missed the About The Young Idea exhibition when it was at Liverpool in 2016 - but someone did give me a programme from it.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15121
    edited August 2022 tFB Trader
    I bet that's great Entertainment - looks a great show with some interesting memorabilia - thanks for posting this
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4055
    edited August 2022
    You’re welcome gents. I took loads of pics that I haven’t uploaded here too. I left feeling on a high and it was definitely a bucket list moment, Nicky Weller was a big added bonus and she even shared a few intimate snippets with me and the wife.

In no particular order there are:

1. The Jam room (guitars, stage clothes, drums, letters, memorabilia etc)
    2. John Weller room (all the silver and gold discs are in there)
    3. Rick room
    4. Bruce room
    5. Style council area
    6. Scooter area (Jimmy’s Lambretta KRU251 is the highlight).
    7. Shop. Nicky even has some old Flexi discs for sale left over from the fan club. 

There’s Jam tunes being blasted in the beer garden and audio/video footage in each individual room. Altogether very interesting and worthwhile for £15 per ticket. Cheers.

https://www.thisisthemodernworld.net/
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1218
    Thanks for sharing. I love the early The Jam stuff. The This Is The Modern World album is a fave and is never off my playlists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for sharing. I love the early The Jam stuff. The This Is The Modern World album is a fave and is never off my playlists.
    Nice one. I never got the negativity, particularly from the music press. Don’t tell them you’re sane is one of my big favourites. I love Bruce’s bass lines on that. The cover and artwork left a big impression on me as an 11 year old too. 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3331
    Thanks
    The Jam were Wellers best outlet. Amazing considering how young he was
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1218
    I was 11 too when the two 1977 albums came out. Life from a Window is my all time favourite Jam track.
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 379
    Looks like the black 330 still has it's original strings...
  • skayskay Frets: 408
    I’ve played The Boys Rickenbacker live around 1996, as it belonged to our band manager at the time, who was a huge Jam fan. I have a VHS of the gig with me playing it, but there was no one in the audience I knew taking photos, so I’ll have to see if future technologies allow me to get a good shot of me playing it from the video.

I had my new Ric 330 at the time, so really wanted to only play that live, so swapping between 2 identical guitars must have looked a bit excessive but it was a nice guitar to play for the cover of Hey Bulldog we used to mangle.

From memory the radius felt ever-so-slightly more curved, maybe the nut was a fraction smaller, and it sounded a bit more centred in the frequencies without the highs my ‘95 Ric had, and I tried not to like it as I was besotted with my own Ric and didn’t want to be disappointed with it.

I wasn’t much of a Jam fan back then, so although I knew the provenance of the guitar, I’d appreciate the opportunity to play it much more nowadays.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You're kidding @skay . Wow. You're very lucky. I can't help but wonder how much these things change hands for etc. If money was no object I'd be making offers left right and centre.
    edited August 2022
    I missed the gift era one off my op. Noel Gallagher obviously doesn’t use it. The close up of the frets is in the op.

• It was in liverpool about 5 years ago. A wonderful exhibition. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3788
    Nice to see the receipt for Paul's Jedson!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14055
    I loved the Black one he used in the last year or 2 that he gifted to Steve Craddock. Does anyone know if that is the same black one from the Setting Sons/Going Underground time just with the white pickguard painted black and the new stop tail piece added?

Neil said:
    Nice to see the receipt for Paul's Jedson!
    Quite a saving for it being ‘shop soiled’ too eh. I wonder if Paul negotiated that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2022
    I’ve tried researching that @RandallFlagg but not got far enough yet.

edit: it appears that it is:

https://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389720&start=15
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2450

Nice One

You guys might enjoy my pics from the Somerset House exhibition from 2015. one my old Flickr account

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rmelson/sets/72157655664881060

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28364
    Although I was never a fan of the Jam, I find this sort of thing fascinating. I loved the massive Pink Floyd exhibition a few years ago, I would LOVE to see a really big Queen one. That would be amazing.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9815
    I loved the Black one he used in the last year or 2 that he gifted to Steve Craddock. Does anyone know if that is the same black one from the Setting Sons/Going Underground time just with the white pickguard painted black and the new stop tail piece added?
    Yes it is. Used on the Going Underground video, with the blacks added just after this...

Ive owned an all-black Ricky, but it never quite looks the same as Wellers. The clue is in the scracthplate; it is white, with the white showing along the edge. My SP was all black...
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14055
    Deadman said:
    I’ve tried researching that @RandallFlagg but not got far enough yet.

edit: it appears that it is:

https://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389720&start=15
    Superb, I always suspected the Jetglo one used towards the end was the Going Undergroud guitar.

• Jetglo (24 fret) with blue "£" and green "P" for "Going Underground", XITS on the back, later with exclamation mark stickers, swapped R for a hardtail, given to Steve Craddock and now has a white nut.