The Jam - Rickenbackers etc.

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12737
    Question: was there ever more than one "Wham" Rickie? I'm sure there was one for sale on Denmark Street about 25-30years ago...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7010
    impmann said:
    Question: was there ever more than one "Wham" Rickie? I'm sure there was one for sale on Denmark Street about 25-30years ago...

Not sure. I assumed they just rent the guitars from their current custodian for the purpose of the show? It could be owned by anyone now as I’m sure Weller doesn’t have it. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9815
    Iamnobody said:
    impmann said:

Not sure. I assumed they just rent the guitars from their current custodian for the purpose of the show? It could be owned by anyone now as I’m sure Weller doesn’t have it. 
    There have been numerous copies across the years, especially on eBay :)

It is my understanding that the Wham guitar was Weller's Mapleglo 330, overpainted.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4055
    edited August 2022
    All of the memorabilia has the current owner’s name under it. I think Weller still owns the WHAM going by this (as well as the short scale 325 in the op).

Edit: image won’t load but obviously it’s a pic of the WHAM with Weller’s name under it…

https://imgur.com/a/RGsYrfJ
    Iamnobody said:
    impmann said:

It is my understanding that the Wham guitar was Weller's Mapleglo 330, overpainted.
    Actually, that cant be right !!! 

Just looking at my photos from the previous displays, the Wham looks like a Jetglo, according to the headstock and back... hmmm...
    Iamnobody said:
    impmann said:

Actually, that cant be right !!! 

Just looking at my photos from the previous displays, the Wham looks like a Jetglo, according to the headstock and back... hmmm...

Correct.

The Jam have been the biggest musical influence on my life, and remain important to this day...

I was fortunate to see them live 4 times; it was a spiritual experience, that has never been surpassed. 

I attended the About The Young Idea exhibition and stood in front of that black 330 for ever. Man, it has meant so much to me in my life that guitar...

It's a shame that Weller threw away so much of his paperwork, songwriting and history. It would have been great to see that.

@Deadman - but I hadn't seen the receipts for the guitar work before; thanks for that mate =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You have Nicky Weller to thank for that @Wazmeister. She ensured everything was kept. You're a lucky man btw!
    What's going on underneath the black one? I'm sure I read that Weller sprayed it himself somewhere years ago. Also the headstock. Purple art of some description under said black? 
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1469
    It's WHAAM! not Wham.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2450

receipts... 8% VAT

Yes please
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's WHAAM! not Wham.
    I think we know. We’re just LAAZY.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7537
    Fond memories of sitting with my dad, him playing me Jam records, and the look on his face when I said I didn't like them haha.
    This has reminded me I need to listen again though. I was at a wedding and the DJ played a song of theirs I liked, however I've no idea what it was. What's a good album that's maybe not got the main well known songs on it?
    edited August 2022
    DefaultM said:
    Fond memories of sitting with my dad, him playing me Jam records, and the look on his face when I said I didn't like them haha.
    This has reminded me I need to listen again though. I was at a wedding and the DJ played a song of theirs I liked, however I've no idea what it was. What's a good album that's maybe not got the main well known songs on it?
    Start at the bottom. In the city. Proper R n’ B and nothing like Town called malice.

edit: The good thing is that Weller consciously tried to keep the singles separate from the albums so you’re laughing for most of the LP offerings tbh.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7537
    Oh that's interesting. Hopefully I'll get a new band from this then, cos I've only heard whatever the popular singles are. 

Town Called Malice isn't a song I find bad or anything. This girl from college asked me to score out the main melody for her, cos she wanted it as a tattoo. I obviously painstakingly did it knowing it was to be forever on her skin, listened loads.
    She got the tattoo and it was so shit. "Stop Dreaming Of The Quiet Life Cos It's One You'll Never Know" with some random quavers dotted about. They're not even the right words.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20042
    It's WHAAM! not Wham.
    Aye, it's been above 20º C most days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7010
    Iamnobody said:
    impmann said:

Oh yeah - I know there’s been copies. The painted player sells one. I meant only 1 Whaam Ric that’s the ‘one’ associated with Weller. 

Deadman said:
    All of the memorabilia has the current owner’s name under it. I think Weller still owns the WHAM going by this (as well as the short scale 325 in the op).

Edit: image won’t load but obviously it’s a pic of the WHAM with Weller’s name under it…

https://imgur.com/a/RGsYrfJ
    Every day is a school day! I read an interview years ago when he said he only had a couple of Rics left and the Whaam one wasn’t mentioned so I put two and two together….

In his drinking days and he probably couldn’t remember…
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Funny one for me, guitarwise, The Jam.

To explain:

I got into them when Malice was number one - so, basically, about five minutes before they split up. I was 9 at the time. Never saw them live. Didn’t even know what seeing a band live WAS until several years later.

Didn’t start playing guitar until years later, and whilst I still highly rate the band, and dig out the superlative box set every couple of years, by the time I got into guitar, I’d got my sights on learning other bands’ stuff. 
    In other words, huge band for me as a listener but barely scraping the surface as an influence on my playing.
    TL:DR version: I’ve never given Weller’s gear much thought before, this would be awesome to see in the flesh.

DefaultM said:
    Few bands match the Jam for integrity; the lyrics are incredible, and unsurpassed.

Setting Sons is the album for me, but try All Mod Cons. “In The Crowd” is lyrically an insight into society, that has never been more relevant for today…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3788
    Deadman said:
    Neil said:
    Nice to see the receipt for Paul's Jedson!
    Quite a saving for it being ‘shop soiled’ too eh. I wonder if Paul negotiated that.
    I believe he also got a new set of strings thrown in.  ;)