Quad Cortex - Tying Myself Up In Knots...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9839
edited August 2022 in FX

So, I've dipped my toe into Neural World.

As requested by a very few people on here, I thought I'd offer up some INITIAL thoughts. This is not a review as such; instead, a simple overview of the early stages of this particular relationship.

Background

Well, modellers init ?!?

I've tried em all, I guess. Here are some thoughts;

Fractal FX8 - really loved this. Built like a Nazi bunker, and an enjoyable UI. Loved the looper on this, and the Fractal verbs are the best, imho.

Helix Floor/Stomp - fun and easy to use, loved the simplicity of it, decent fx, average amps. The Stomp is an amazing small fit-into-any-pedalboard genius though.

Kemper (Toaster) - mine had the amp in, and saved my life one night at a gig. Some great amps in there (Brian Carl stuff is amazing). Loved the footswitch, and the looper. Hard and steep learning curve, and it appeared to me that there were 867 in/output volumes...

Fractal FM3 - loved it - brilliant looper, still a bit complex behind the scenes for me. Owned one twice.

Kemper Floor - this should've been the one, but I had an early model, and there were a few issues.

Caveat 1:  Now, imho, ymmv and all that - I think that some of the generic 'rock' tones that appear mainly in YouTube land are fairly easy to achieve with anything. They are not hard to generate. I like those BF tones with chiming overtones, blooms and harmonics. Not so easy to get...

Caveat 2: I need a good looper, and if I can see it, even more the better. A good screen which shows the actual position of the loop, is essential. Both FM3 and Cortex have this.

Caveat 3: I want to use a real cab. I have a Zilla 1x12 with a Neo Creamback in. I've tried FRFR and Im no longer interested. The RedSound FRFR are the exception, as they are superb. 

The Neural Quad Cortex

Let's start right at the beginning. Packaging is lovely, and the unit is quality when you pull it out of the box. Superbly engineered, and lovely to hold. Footswitches are a little wobbly, but seem fine. The (infamous) power supply is included, and yes it does emit a little bit of noise.

Dead simply and FUN to use. Within seconds it was powered up, and I was away. Easiest to use of the whole bunch, VERY instinctive, and no Masters Degree required to operate. I never even looked at the manual.

I like playing at home in stereo (with the Two Rock alongside), and using a looper. It improves me as a guitarist, and allows me to be extremely creative.

The FX were better than I'd thought; and the amp models sounded good. Not great, but good. For me, nothing beats the sound and here we go, FEEL of a real valve amp. Still, I think I'll be able to shape these as I learn a little bit more.

Best amp sounds are still from the Kemper, imho.

Next and very close, the Fractal.

Tying Myself Up In Knots...

And so, Im very happy with the Cortex, for my needs. The looper is amongst the best Ive used - head to head with FM3 - and the screen is great. Looper sounds are very clear, and you can record for over 4 mins. I wish a manufacturer would make a unit that stores and saves your actual loops - is that so hard to do ???

Now, this is where the knotage (that's not a word surely, is it ? Really ?) starts...

The Cortex costs £1599...

... and I need an amp to err, amplify it.
Enter the Seymour Duncan PS - £435.

And a couple of leads to use with Cioks DC7 - £20

Oh, and a Mono Passive Isolation Box thingy - £40 - to help with your profiles (sorry Kemper, I meant captures...)

So, we are now £2100 into things. Oh, and the Seymour Duncan fan is noisier than a Junkers JU88 landing in your garden...

I'm now starting to question tings.

Q. Now, I've got a Two Rock, and a Lazy J10 LC on order. Surely my stereo needs are met ? Check.

Q. These real valve two amps do/will sound good ? Check.

Q. Do I have a looper like the QC which inspires me, and brings out the best in my playing ? No. Er, no.

Q. Am I beginning to tie myself up in nots ? Affirmative big Jim.

Some Closing Thoughts...

I cannot say 'concluding thoughts' as Im more confused than a dyslexic who has fallen into a can of Heinz Alphabetti.

I really like the QC; it's small enough for a board. The looper is magnificent. It's easy to use.

Some Key Questions.

Is the cost vs benefit worth it ?

Do I just buy another Kemper ?

Do I swop the Junkers (sorry, Seymour Duncan) for the more expensive Fryette PS 100 (I do like me Frtyettes) ?

Will Q.P.R. sign a striker ?

Who knows the secret of the black magic box...?

More to follow...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 651
    Hmm....sounds like maybe
    ...a posh looper would get you there?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9839
    JohnCordy said:
    Hmm....sounds like maybe
    ...a posh looper would get you there?
    Name it mate, I think Ive tried em all !

I've still got the brilliant Glou Glow Looper - maybe its time to master that...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7206
    I’ve got (well actually um two) Aeros loopers, they are amazing…
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3496
    edited August 2022
    @Wazmeister the looper on the DL4 Mkii is good. What are you looking for in a looper?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 651
    @Wazmeister fun fact, before Neural decided they didn't like me, Doug actually slid into my DMs and asked which modeler has the best looper. At the time I pointed him to the Headrush, so that's where they got the multiply idea from...
    For a similar looping experience, headrush might do the trick and cost way less?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 549
    What are you trying to achieve that a great amp  plus a couple of quality drive pedals plus an excellent looper would give you?

• RolandRoland Frets: 8961
    26.2 said:
    What are you trying to achieve that a great amp plus a couple of quality drive pedals plus an excellent looper would give you?
    One of several answers. For a start:
    1. Less to carry because you’re playing direct to PA.
    2. Easy switching. Changing drive, amp channel, reverb, and chorus when going from rhythm to lead is a lot easier if you only have to hit one switch.
    3. It’s cheaper than a board of separate pedals.

There’s a time and place for an amp and pedals, and there’s a time and place for a modeller.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 549
    edited August 2022
    Roland said:
    26.2 said:
    What are you trying to achieve that a great amp plus a couple of quality drive pedals plus an excellent looper would give you?
    One of several answers. For a start:
    1. Less to carry because you’re playing direct to PA.
    2. Easy switching. Changing drive, amp channel, reverb, and chorus when going from rhythm to lead is a lot easier if you only have to hit one switch.
    3. It’s cheaper than a board of separate pedals.

There’s a time and place for an amp and pedals, and there’s a time and place for a modeller.
    But he’s just ordered 2 amps. Or have I misunderstood?

also he said it was for home use, so surely portability isn’t an issue. 
    JohnCordy said:
    @Wazmeister fun fact, before Neural decided they didn't like me, Doug actually slid into my DMs and asked which modeler has the best looper. At the time I pointed him to the Headrush, so that's where they got the multiply idea from...
    For a similar looping experience, headrush might do the trick and cost way less?
    JC, thats a good shout mate.
  • Very in-depth, excellent and well-formatted review as always, Warren, thank you.

I’ve always had the Kemper at the back of my mind, how much easier it would be with everything in one box, no costly amp repairs, swapping pedals in and out more regularly than Casanova in Magaluf… but there’s something about valve amps. Maybe I’m doing it wrong, maybe those Kemper Kone speakers (have never tried one) give you a better “moving air” experience. 
  • Small beer to everything else but why do you need to run special cables to a cioks PSU? What's wrong with the PSU it comes with? 
    Very in-depth, excellent and well-formatted review as always, Warren, thank you.

I’ve always had the Kemper at the back of my mind, how much easier it would be with everything in one box, no costly amp repairs, swapping pedals in and out more regularly than Casanova in Magaluf… but there’s something about valve amps. Maybe I’m doing it wrong, maybe those Kemper Kone speakers (have never tried one) give you a better “moving air” experience. 
    As ever, thanks mate for the kind words :)

• ricky50ricky50 Frets: 160
    @wazmeister - I’ve got a rough idea of what you might like from the amps and pedals you seem to go for.  Try this as a start and see where you can take it.  Captain 50 amp (based on a Morgan and a fantastic clean).  Use a splitter and put 2 cabs after it – Zila 212CB16 and 412 Brit Alnico Cream sounds good to me.  Put a Jewel compressor into the Nobels ODR and then into a fairly low gain capture of any of the Origin Revival Drives before the amp.  Then start a new path and add vintage chorus, tape delay and Mind Hall reverb after the amp and cabs all at a very low mix.  Then add your looper.

You’ll have to EQ and gain stage it to whatever guitar your using but I think you’ll get a good starter sound out of that into any FRFR.  

I’m really happy with the Neural – better than any multiFX I’ve ever tried and I’ve only just got going on it.  Still keeping my amps though!

ricky50 said:
    @wazmeister - I’ve got a rough idea of what you might like from the amps and pedals you seem to go for.  Try this as a start and see where you can take it.  Captain 50 amp (based on a Morgan and a fantastic clean).  Use a splitter and put 2 cabs after it – Zila 212CB16 and 412 Brit Alnico Cream sounds good to me.  Put a Jewel compressor into the Nobels ODR and then into a fairly low gain capture of any of the Origin Revival Drives before the amp.  Then start a new path and add vintage chorus, tape delay and Mind Hall reverb after the amp and cabs all at a very low mix.  Then add your looper.

You’ll have to EQ and gain stage it to whatever guitar your using but I think you’ll get a good starter sound out of that into any FRFR.  

I’m really happy with the Neural – better than any multiFX I’ve ever tried and I’ve only just got going on it.  Still keeping my amps though!

Ricky, brilliant - thanks for that mate, Ill try it !  =)
    Well, I’ve had some good hours playing today…

And I’m sending the QC and the SD 200 back.

Real amps for me :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3332

I only just started this thread ...wanting to get a QC.  3 mins later I dont. Thanks Waz!

I only just started this thread ...wanting to get a QC.  3 mins later I dont. Thanks Waz!
    It is a wonderful device to be fair and the looper is the best I’ve played.

However, £2100 with the amp, is really good valve amp
    money.

I really recommend the QC though, and it’s so easy and fun use.
  • ColWilkieColWilkie Frets: 149
    Good timing on this thread!  Every few years I tend to go through the same cycle, and consider selling all my kit and starting from scratch again.  I've been down that route once with the Kemper (it is an incredible piece of kit) and led me to come back to amps via a Friedman BE profile I loved.

I have recently been bombarded with some QC videos.  For fun, I thought I'd give some of the Neural DSP plugin demo's a whirl.  Amazing how far they have come, the SLO100 and Tone King are really nice.  From purely a recording perspective I can see why plugins would be preferable.  I may actually pick one or two up if they go back on sale to use with Ableton.

This brought me back to thinking about going down the QC route, so I sat back in front of my Friedman and monster pedalboard for a few hours to debate.  

Ultimately, I'm not playing live or having to lug kit around.  If I was, I'd for sure give it a go.  I believe, Helix, Kemper, Axe and now the QC are all more than capable of putting out some great sounds straight to the mixing desk - the audience would not know or care about the difference.  I also realised from owning the Kemper, as awesome as it was to have a large number of amps at my disposal - I always gravitated towards one or two profiles.  I could see why others may want/need this - it sure beats buying/storing/maintaining a dozen or so valve amps!

My favourite thing to do however, is feel the amp in the room / direct connection.  There is just nothing like it.  I recognise it's not going to be the sound I'd get if mic'd up - but for my use case I don't care, it is irrelevant.  I'm also fortunate that my amp of choice covers all nearly all bases for me (along with my pedals), and the master volume is excellent.  I would like to add a real Tone King at some point however!
  • keirkeir Frets: 146
    I think another advantage of modellers like these is that you can try a huge range of amps to find your favourite sound. 

In my playing career if had a number of fenders (blackface type) which I really like on their own but not in a band mix, and Voxes - Ac15 for a while which I upgraded to an AC30. 

I have never played a Marshall, Orange or a Fender tweed or bassman, all those sounds are in a modeller to try. 

@ColWilkie has found his sound in a Friedman by using the Kemper profile by the sounds of it, which is great
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • ColWilkieColWilkie Frets: 149
    keir said:
    I think another advantage of modellers like these is that you can try a huge range of amps to find your favourite sound. 

In my playing career if had a number of fenders (blackface type) which I really like on their own but not in a band mix, and Voxes - Ac15 for a while which I upgraded to an AC30. 

I have never played a Marshall, Orange or a Fender tweed or bassman, all those sounds are in a modeller to try. 

@ColWilkie has found his sound in a Friedman by using the Kemper profile by the sounds of it, which is great
    Totally agree mate. I was actually close to buying a Mesa Mk5 before moving to the Kemper.  Spent quite a bit of time with the models for that and the JPC.  I enjoyed them, but the Kemper also gave me a chance to try other sounds out.  The Friedman ended up sticking, despite not even really being on the radar before.

It truly is a great time to be a guitarist (well, perhaps prior to the chip shortages!)