Quad Cortex - Tying Myself Up In Knots...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I've got a QC incoming, hopefully it works out for me. I need to simplify my live rig and add a vocal chain too, which this looks like it'll handle all of it.

Gonna A/B it against my Rockerverb, and capture it, if it stacks up, no more lugging ludicrously heavy amps to gigs for me.

If not I'll just return it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As a gigging musician who regularly either has to carry all of my gear (sometimes quite a long way), then isn’t allowed to use said gear on a small stage/quick turnaround gig - or get lumped with an absolute shite-heap of an shared amp, I’m hoping the QC can take away a lot of these stressed and hassles for me. 

So far I’m loving it, and it’s good fun trying to get my sounds set up.

I am definitely not selling my amps though, as I’ll use these when I can, and in the studio. I’ll have presets in the QC so I can run 4CM too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As a gigging musician who regularly either has to carry all of my gear (sometimes quite a long way), then isn’t allowed to use said gear on a small stage/quick turnaround gig - or get lumped with an absolute shite-heap of an shared amp, I’m hoping the QC can take away a lot of these stressed and hassles for me. 

I am definitely not selling my amps though, as I’ll use these when I can, and in the studio. I’ll have presets in the QC so I can run 4CM too. 
    How are you finding your QC. mate ? Still using it ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Yeah buddy, still got it and still enjoying it.

Ive only used it live once, but was pretty solid and happy with the results. It saved me carrying a lot of gear too.

A few things I’ve noticed though, and a big one that possibly ties into your original thread topic. I find that there’s a massive lack of instructions/tutorial's/info on the basic setup and explanation of how the routing works across the 4 paths, and how different ways of routing will affect the signal, and why.

I also find that a lot of the amp captures - to me and in my setup - sound dreadful, and this is probably down to the variables between my setup and what was used for the capture. I don’t use FRFR, I don’t run into a DAW/desktop setup with preamp's etc, so things sound massively different going straight from my QC into my cab.

But overall, I’m really happy with it so far. Hoping for a Matchless amp to be added by Neural at some point, and looking forward to hybrid mode
  • onyironyir Frets: 53
    As a gigging musician who regularly either has to carry all of my gear (sometimes quite a long way), then isn’t allowed to use said gear on a small stage/quick turnaround gig - or get lumped with an absolute shite-heap of an shared amp, I’m hoping the QC can take away a lot of these stressed and hassles for me. 

Ive only used it live once, but was pretty solid and happy with the results. It saved me carrying a lot of gear too.

A few things I’ve noticed though, and a big one that possibly ties into your original thread topic. I find that there’s a massive lack of instructions/tutorial's/info on the basic setup and explanation of how the routing works across the 4 paths, and how different ways of routing will affect the signal, and why.

I also find that a lot of the amp captures - to me and in my setup - sound dreadful, and this is probably down to the variables between my setup and what was used for the capture. I don’t use FRFR, I don’t run into a DAW/desktop setup with preamp's etc, so things sound massively different going straight from my QC into my cab.

But overall, I’m really happy with it so far. Hoping for a Matchless amp to be added by Neural at some point, and looking forward to hybrid mode
    One thing to bear in mind is some captures will have the cab baked in, so by running through your cab you'll have 2 cabs in series, making it sound quite dull.
    For captures, I quite like the free ones posted by amalganaudio on the cloud (they sell captures as well, but I haven't bought any packs yet; might do once there's an actual marketplace), in particular the Carr Mercury V, the Magnatone Dusk and the Matchless Phoenix. I believe most of his captures don't have a cab
    https://neuraldsp.com/cloud/u/amalgamaudio/neural_capture

I have being gigging my QC (with the original PS, can you imagine!) now for over a year and haven't had a single issue

• onyir said:
    As a gigging musician who regularly either has to carry all of my gear (sometimes quite a long way), then isn’t allowed to use said gear on a small stage/quick turnaround gig - or get lumped with an absolute shite-heap of an shared amp, I’m hoping the QC can take away a lot of these stressed and hassles for me. 

One thing to bear in mind is some captures will have the cab baked in, so by running through your cab you'll have 2 cabs in series, making it sound quite dull.
    For captures, I quite like the free ones posted by amalganaudio on the cloud (they sell captures as well, but I haven't bought any packs yet; might do once there's an actual marketplace), in particular the Carr Mercury V, the Magnatone Dusk and the Matchless Phoenix. I believe most of his captures don't have a cab

I have being gigging my QC (with the original PS, can you imagine!) now for over a year and haven't had a single issue

Yeah, I realised that was probably the case with the added cab. 

What’s the consensus here then - captures that include the cab should be used directly into an FRFR, IEM or recording suite without any cab blocks?

I’ll definitely check out the link, thanks for posting that
  • Thank god Hybrid mode now in beta testing with 2.0
    prob my main gripe
    onyir said:

Yeah, I realised that was probably the case with the added cab. 

What’s the consensus here then - captures that include the cab should be used directly into an FRFR, IEM or recording suite without any cab blocks?

I’ll definitely check out the link, thanks for posting that
    Yes, direct to FRFR works best. Some people seems to have managed to get a decent sound when using a power amp and one the new Celestion speakers with the built-in tweeter, but I guess that's still some form of FRFR (although certainly not flat response).
    I think most of the captures on the cloud are DI (without Cab), just because it's a lot easier to buy a reactive load than to have the spake and knowledge to mic a cab... Also, it gives the user more versatility. NDSPs owns amp captures are all DI, as far as I know
    Kultschar said:
    Thank god Hybrid mode now in beta testing with 2.0
    prob my main gripe
    To me, whether the hybrid mode is usable is going to depend on whether the user's allowed to rename any of the switch labels on the gig view. Without that I don't think i'll use it