Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which pedal appeals to you?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
in FX tFB Trader
It occurs to me that as a younger man if I'd been presented with the following pedals:

It would have been obvious without looking at them that the first one was going to be the best one because it has lots of knobs, but now I find the idea of the second one much more appealing. 

Ignoring your actual experience with these two pedals which style appeals to you more?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited September 2014

Same as you, when younger the first with loads of variables would have appealed more, but these days less variables  would be my pick.

I have got rid of pedals with too many variables (IE Boss chorus, flange and phase) and replaced them with simpler pedals (MXR microchorus/microflanger and phase 90)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Actually, it would be neither of them. I'd have the blue one with just the bottom row of knobs.
  • When I was younger the ultimate chorus to me was the small clone. That was one knob of goodnes. 

So I would probably have leaned towards the micro. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Difficult.

I already have a yellow pedal on my board so it would have to be the light blue one. I haven't got that colour.

The LED colours might change my mind though.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2014
    I was thinking about this recently and the balance that pedal designs have to strike between a decisive sound and flexibility.  In ways it depends on the pedal but a lot of the time I prefer fewer knobs for the aspect that the circuit designer is saying 'We made a definite decision on how this pedal sounds', whereas I find lots of adjustable parameters can seem a bit 'Well I'm sure you can find a good sound in there somewhere and if not you probably haven't tweaked it enough'.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Difficult.

I already have a yellow pedal on my board so it would have to be the light blue one. I haven't got that colour.

I shall rename you "Rainbow board"

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It depends if we're talking live or home/recording usage. Live, the fewer the options the better. At home, probably the opposite in terms of inspiring creativity, though there comes a threshold where too many options means more time reading a manual than playing.

I'm finding more and more that I'm finding one sound in a pedal which I love, and don't use any others.

Even when I had all those variables available, I didn't use 95% of them.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Mostly I dislike lots of knobs - Catlinbread Semaphore - knock it slightly and you'll never find those settings again...

But mostly I dislike pedals that give me dials that don't vary much - Voodoolabs chorus - great sounds but nowhere near the range of the Small Clone.

Generally I prefer pedals with one or two good sounds - it's all my brain can handle. Ideally those sounds should be reasonably discrete and should exist either end of a switch or a pot.

Small Clone - depth switch.
    Bear Hug/LoveSqueeze - compression knob.
    CE-2 Rate pot.
    Zendrive - Voice
    Whirlwind Orange Box - speed
    Ibanez PT-999 - speed

DIY Stuff like the tremulus, umble and such have loads of great sounds but one that you'll always return to ... so  I think trim pots are a very acceptable solution, trying to build a tremulus atm where the 35mm knob comes off to reveal 4 trim pots (ideally 3 trim pots and 1 LED but anyway).

What I'm liking about MIDI is how you just set that stuff and forget it. The TC pedals are taking that on board on the minis where the one knob (if I understand it) acts like an expression knob.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I love fiddling with knobs and dials and parameters in menus, but when playing live or even in the studio (if trying to get something done fast at least) I'd rather have simplicity and limitation. It's much easier to stick with whatever you've got and work around it to connect to the music itself if you have no other choice. Getting to the point where the only variable is your own hands is really good sometimes.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9785
    edited September 2014

The blue one. All chorus pedals are supposed to blue. When I hear a nice chorus sound I see the exact shade of the CE-2 in my head.

Don't mess with the colour codes, like when Walkers got blue and green mixed up for Cheese & Onion and Salt & Vinegar. YELLOW IS FOR OVERDRIVE!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The blue one. All chorus pedals are supposed to blue. When I hear a nice chorus sound I see the exact shade of the CE-2 in my head.

Don't mess with the colour codes, like when Walkers got blue and green mixed for Cheese & Onion and Salt & Vinegar.

Wisdom, for all of that (especially the crisps bit).

• I love fiddling with knobs

Aw come on. What was I supposed to do?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    I actually quite like trimpots and dip switches.

For example with the Carbon Copy it's nice to be able to pop it open and select exactly the right amount of modulation and then know that it will never change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i use to have the Black Label Chorus, which i believe the analog chorus is based on, and although it was really nice...it was too many knobs for me. I prefer (and own) the yellow one.

@monquixote I didnt even know the CC had trim pot inside...i've owned one for almost 5 years and its been on my board the whole time. I will have to look inside on the weekend!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Yeah it has width and speed. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2014
    samzadgan said:

i use to have the Black Label Chorus, which i believe the analog chorus is based on, and although it was really nice...it was too many knobs for me. I prefer (and own) the yellow one.

AFAIK It's exactly the same, but without the signature tie-in, so non Zakk Whatsis fans won't be put off.
  • what does AFAIK mean???
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    edited September 2014
    As far as I know it means As Far as I know
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    I am increasingly drawn to simpler stuff, single pickups , few knob pedals like HOF mini 1 knob, EHX chorus 1 knob, 2 drives with  Gain Tone & Level, sometimes I feel more is less and gets in the way of use, forever fiddling…..however Im drawn to a Tc Electronic Nova Multi Effects unit in Stompbox mode…………...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll