Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which pedal appeals to you?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thanks hubobulous...i need to learn these abbreviations...i only recently worked out what IIRC...its embarrasing that I'm so far behind, FFS i'm not that old!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

But what does FFS mean?

:D

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Funny Friends Say.....
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    For drives and delays, the fewest options the better, for me.

With mods, especially chorus, I like a depth knob, otherwise faster settings sound out of tune to me. I did use a Small Clone for about 14 years, though!
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I'd take the top one

Yes I'm only going to use one setting, but with chorus its easy to get overbearing and obnoxious, and I'd hate to have a chorus where I couldnt dial in as much/little as I needed.
  • Big trim pot problem - I asked to adjust one on a carbon copy in store, and they wouldn't let me open the pedal.

Would be nicer if it was still a trim, but accessible without taking it apart.

I have my hardwire chorus, 7 sounds? Plus rate, depth and level.

I use vintage mode. No point fiddling around - the others are great, but I immediately found a great chorus sound on vintage - why bother with the others?

I need to work out what pedal that's based on and get it. It's still intermittent problening on me.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9785
    edited September 2014
    Back on topic (from my earlier flippant comment), I think both are too extreme. A chorus with only a rate knob would be very limited, because you'd want different depths of effect for different speeds (I tend to whack the depth up for a very slow rate for instance). Having both depth and level (i.e. wet/dry mix) on a modulation pedal seems superfluous though - so two controls are a happy medium for me.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2404
    Probably something more in the middle- enough options so it's versatile, but not enough to get confused or where it makes it too hard to dial in.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    I like simple pedals, but there is a certain number per effect that is optimum for me. Phasers should be one knob for example, tremolos two knobs, and chorus should be 2, possibly three. A one knob chorus is Very limited. 

I've actually got the 5 knob blue MXR one at the top, it's a great pedal. The two EQ controls are cut only so just crank them all the way up and forget about them if you need to.
  • I don't know how close the MXR analogue chorus is to the older big yellow 18v stereo chorus but that yellow brick is a weird pedal. I Always blew hot & cold with that pedal then one day I actually bothered to try it in stereo into a pair of JCM800s. Then I understood, suddenly all those knobs become much more useful. Stick a fuzz in front of it. HOLY SHIT it sounds MASSIVE! You simply can't get that with a one knobber.