Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Scottish independence- musically wonderful

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31591
At the risk of upsetting our friends north of the border I long concluded the Scots are marginally the second most unmusical race in the world. The most unmusical is undoubtedly Denmark - I was their for the euro football championships and I heard their singing - it was painful. However, the scots have inflicted the bagpipes, Andy Stewart, Jim Kerr, the Proclaimers (so arrogant that they said they'd never travel further than High Wycombe to perform) and of course the Krankies. So is there anything musical, other than Jimmy Moon guitars and Annie Lennox that we'll miss?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The late John Martyn (actually born in New Malden to Scottish parents and brought up in Glasgow) and the wonderful Blue Nile with Paul Buchanan's beautiful voice.

I'm sure there are many others - but those stand out for me.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

sorry matey... I just can't agree with this..

I love the music of the Scots Guards pipes and drums..

I've always had a bit of a thing for bagpipes and Scots / Celtic folk music.

play every note as if it were your first
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Isla St Claire.
    Lulu
    Jack Bruce
    Ian Anderson
    Average White Band?
    Fairground Attraction?
    Jesus and Mary Chain ?
    Belle and Sebastion?
    That guy from Dire Straits?
    ... David Byrne?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Ok I'll buy the Blue Nile ( made by Linn) but them pipes remain in Room 101 I did of course forget the sublime Craig Ross who has scots parents on the plus side, and overlooked the Bay City Rollers on the down side

frankus said:
    Isla St Claire.
    Lulu
    Jack Bruce
    Ian Anderson
    Average White Band?
    Fairground Attraction?
    Jesus and Mary Chain ?
    Belle and Sebastion?
    That guy from Dire Straits?
    ... David Byrne?
    More compelling evidence I'm right.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Gassage said:
    At the risk of upsetting our friends north of the border I long concluded the Scots are marginally the second most unmusical race in the world. The most unmusical is undoubtedly Denmark - I was their for the euro football championships and I heard their singing - it was painful. However, the scots have inflicted the bagpipes, Andy Stewart, Jim Kerr, the Proclaimers (so arrogant that they said they'd never travel further than High Wycombe to perform) and of course the Krankies. So is there anything musical, other than Jimmy Moon guitars and Annie Lennox that we'll miss?
    Don't buy this ... Americans thought the Average White Band were black as their grooves were so tight and they meant it as a compliment. Lots of good Scottish bands and musicians and bagpipes in a band sound OK - a lone piper can sound like a cat being strangled.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @fretwired yeah but that was down to Ferrone who is from Brighton!

• RUNRIG
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    KT Tunstall
    Claire Grogan ffs!!
    Bon Scott.
    Paolo Nutini

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    I sold my tc2290 to Donny!! I see that no-ones disagreed re Denmark though - that proves I'm right.

• I was going to make a joke that David Crosby's replacement liver was taken from a Scotsman but then appreciated that the chances of a dead Scot having a salvageable liver was too ridiculous a jump even within the context of humour.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375

We English inflicted 'Brotherhood of Man' on the world  :-S 

After that we are in no position to criticise any country for their music... not even Germany!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Guy Pratt coined the wonderful phrase "as twatted as a Crosby in a Caravan"

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    equalsql said:

We English inflicted 'Brotherhood of Man' on the world  :-S 

After that we are in no position to criticise any country for their music... not even Germany!

Nice legs though ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I once saw the Proclaimers at Glasonbury so they were lying about the High Wycombe thing. I can imagine them refusing to travel *to* High Wycombe though. Who could blame them...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I once saw the Proclaimers at Glasonbury so they were lying about the High Wycombe thing. I can imagine them refusing to travel *to* High Wycombe though. Who could blame them...

I once saw the Proclaimers at Glasonbury so they were lying about the High Wycombe thing. I can imagine them refusing to travel *to* High Wycombe though. Who could blame them...

High Wycombe is just over 500 miles from Glasgow. Glastonbury is only 434 by road so would be inside their agreed travel radius.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    In addition to J&MC and B&S also Orange Juice (+ongoing Edwyn Collins) and Aztec Camera.

And to defend Denmark while we're at it, I caught part of the Copenhagen Jazz festival in July and there were some good people. Including this guy http://www.jazz.dk/koncert/6367/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited September 2014
    Gassage said:

High Wycombe is just over 500 miles from Glasgow. Glastonbury is only 434 by road so would be inside their agreed travel radius.
    Really? Well bugger me. I've always lived in the south east - took a LONG time to get to Glasto!

EDIT: Google says Glastonbury is 394 miles by road and HW is 382 miles :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • You haven't felt pain and mental anguish until you worked a 2 or 3 day Bagpiping national or world championships, I am getting all anxious and woozy just having the memories.

Anyhoo I take the OP's point but will submit some for consideration.

The Sweet

The Skids

Big Country

Hipsway

Ian Anderson (Tull)

Aztec Camera/Roddy Frame

Maggie Bell

Biffy CLyro

Jack Bruce

Mogwai

Cocteau Twins

Danny Wilson

The Associates

Donovan

Simple Minds

Fish

The Fratellis

Franz Ferdinand

Hue and Cry

Idlewild

The Jesus and Mary Chain

King Creosote

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

Dan McCafferty (of Nazareth fame)

The Rezillos

Red Hot Chilli Pipers (joking but they do exist)

Mike Scott (Waterboys)

SAHB

Stealers Wheel

I could go on and in many genres, not all above are to my taste but good nonetheless.

Of course any number of celtic, celeidh and Jock Rock bands too.

Like Wolfstone who I reckon are better than Runrig, but then I may be biased as a few friends have played for them over the years.

The gaelic/celtic bands a;ways have lovely looking girlies (in the main) playing fiddles, clarsach and various other strange items (try mic'ing up a shedload of clarsachs, harps and other stringed oddities for a show). So what is not to love there.

Pipes in an ensemble doing the hooch and chooch thing is fine but solo. Oh johnny boy the pipe, the pipes are calling, oh no I am having a flashback....help!!

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    edited September 2014
    Ultravox, Deacon Blue, Simple Minds, The Commotions (even though Lloyd Cole is English), Hipsway, Big Country, Dougie MacLean, Del Amitri, The Rezillos, and Shirley Manson (WTF is up with the editor thing now?! There are returns in all that...) Johnny beat me to a few of those anyway :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom