Finished Q4 22 Challenge part deux Paulnb57

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
edited October 2022 in Making & Modding
Have hardly started my other challenge entry, but in conversation on here @DrBob shared a photo of this

So Im a bit smitten and something similar, based on, inspired by will commemce starting with a Mex Strat neck and a guitarbuild body, in White Limba, Ill need to rout for a middle pickup, which could go horribly wrong…obvs a sucker for punishment

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Can I get one built before you start a second???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    TTony said:
    Can I get one built before you start a second???
    Only if you crack on!  =)
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2022
    So, the body had arrived, its really lightweight, very nice as Guitarbuild usually are, not sure on colour yet, maybe natural, needs thought…
    First area to address is the neck pocket, I know I could just fit it as is, but Id rather curve the bottom to match the neck profile….

Then there is the issue of making all the parts, not intended to be together, to form a harmonious mariage..
    Scratchplate is just for mocking up purposes, there is one in the mail from Brian Pillans (earlpillans on eBay) Strat outline, no pot holes, no switch holes, Tele bridge and two Tele neck pickup holes.

The eagle eyed will note there is no middle pickup rout, so that will have to be created.

Also I have to modifiy the Strat plate to accommodate the Tele control plate.
    Unlike a “normal” partscaster, theres quite a lot to be getting on with

However, winter is coming (John Snow) and telly is shite….

• RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    edited September 2022
    paulnb

… First area to address is the neck pocket, I know I could just fit it as is, but Id rather curve the bottom to match the neck profile….
    I presume you’ve measured the scale length to work out where the heel needs to sit. The bridge position is already drilled, so the only room you’ve got for adjustment (apart from saddle intonation) is the heel position.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    paulnb

… First area to address is the neck pocket, I know I could just fit it as is, but Id rather curve the bottom to match the neck profile….
    I presume you’ve measured the scale length to work out where the heel needs to sit. The bridge position is already drilled, so the only room you’ve got for adjustment (apart from saddle intonation) is the heel position.
    Yes, and its fine, theres loads of movement in the saddles

A couple of fraught hours modding the scratchplate, its not quite right, Ill try and finesse it tomorrow, but Im pretty much resigned to getting one professionally done…..it will however do for mocking up purposes…

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:
    but Im pretty much resigned to getting one professionally done
    Don’t do that - persevere!

Whats wrong with what you’ve done so far?
    TTony said:
    paulnb57 said:
    but Im pretty much resigned to getting one professionally done
    Don’t do that - persevere!

Whats wrong with what you’ve done so far?
    The cut edges are a bit uneven…

So, slept on it, decided to use the safe edge of a file as a straight edge guide, clamped with leather offcuts, to increase the pressure of a couple of bulldog clips…..
    You can see here how much “out” the supposedly straight edge was…

Slowly filed the edge of the guard until I hit the edge of the file….much happier now, as they say in my home county “That’ll do”

I had to move the rear control plate screw up about half a mm, so filled the existing hole and re drilled..

Lessons learnt

Probably best not to attempt something like this after a few G nT’s

Put it down and go back later

Build easier bitsas!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    :)

That was worth doing - and better than just buying one.
    TTony said:
    :)

That was worth doing - and better than just buying one.
    Agreed!

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Nice recovery !
    edited September 2022
    So, continuing the forced marriage of incompatible parts, first, the scratchplate required more butchery, erm trimming, to accommodate the Tele half bridge, so some Dremel with a mini drum sander and a bit of filing achieved that, no GnT beforehand ensured modest success, however a couple were consumed, after, purely by way of celebration…

That done the scratchplate was populated with pickups, Creamery Tele size P90’s front and rear, a Wilky Tele neck in the middle.
    FFS! The angle of the bridge pickup on the plate doesnt match the angle of the rout, as luck would have it, the lovely Nicky, our scrummy post lady dropped a couple of router bits onto the floormat…how did she know?
    Some Forstnering and freehand routering saw the pickup cavity adjusted and a none too tidy, but very suitable middle pickup cavity was formed.

Then the screw holes for the bridge were pilot drilled and the whole mess screwed together for the first time..

Need to drill a hole for the bridge earth, then its a quick rub over with 250 grit and steam out two little dents, cos Im a clumsy oaf,  and its paint o’clock!

Im at work, Weds and Thurs (I was retired, but a couple of days out of the house is good) which provides a bit of disposable…Friday the Motorhome really needs a run, so we will wild camp somewhere into Saturday, which means paint is unlikely to occur until next week….
    Stay tuned for more Rock n Roll

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Love it - and the commentary !! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So, a cheeky end of season couple of days away on the MoHo, much chilling, much GnT and we are home and back on this joker.
    First job slight countersink of the Scratch/control plate holes, just to make then a bit tidier.
    Then to steam a couple of dents, two minor, two I though were there to stay, however a bit of time with a damp cloth and a soldering iron sees three of them disappear and the fourth will almost once sanded,,,it quite grainy and that will show through the finish, so the last should pretty much disappear

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

I could post more photos, but you would get bored.

Weather permitting, a quick sand a paint tomorrow…..

Oh!, and a quick tip

Don’t forget to order a switch tip!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Today the body was sanded, vacuumed to remove dust and sprayed, no primer, rattlecan straight onto the wood, its now hanging from the back bedroom curtain rail, doing the drying thing, looks ok, but Im out of paint…hopefully wont need another….
    But what colour is it Mister?

The old damp cloth & soldering iron trick ... works miracles!!
    TTony said:
    The old damp cloth & soldering iron trick ... works miracles!!
    It really did,I was very surprised and pleased, obviously pleased..

edited September 2022
    Just had a lookyloo and the paint is nice and even very thin, sunk into the grain, just as I like it and touch dry.
    As its ultra matte, its dried very quickly and is unsurprisingly, ultra matte, it still smells though so it will get left for a couple of days to gas off and fully harden.
    When I woke up this morning, I thought there would be no chance of painting as it was hammering it down, wetter than an otters pocket.
    Luckily it stopped so I pinned back the french doors, tucked the curtain out of the way, so I had a clear run from jardin to back bedroom…only fly on the ointment was a three year old English Bull Terrier that found the whole hissy rattle can, hugely entertaining, jumping up, trying to get at it, the usual “Fuck of Ruby you twat,” made little difference, but perseverance paid off, mine not hers, luckily a shitehawk landed in the garden and had to be seen off…she has a short attention span..

Eventually it will be coated to a silky sheen, with something silky and sheeny…

Then its final assembly, wiring, setting up and stuff

Im so excited! Im a little light headed, but that could also just be paint fumes…