James Honeyman-Scott audio: "I cannot count Chrissie's timing!"

What's Hot
JasOJasO Frets: 97
During our 1981 interview for Guitar Player magazine, the Pretenders' James Honeyman-Scott talked at length about his development as a guitarist, his early bands, his musical interactions with Chrissie Hynde, his gear setup, and the guitar parts on the first Pretenders' album and as-yet-unreleased EP. In this audio excerpt, he explains how his inability to "count Chrissie's timing" led him to alter his playing style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-blEXEO4qSY
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    Absolute hero of mine. Such an underrated player - huge influence on the likes of Marr, Butler, Squire...

Died way too young - and too stupidly.

Thanks for sharing. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    Hattigol said:
    Absolute hero of mine. Such an underrated player - huge influence on the likes of Marr, Butler, Squire...

Died way too young - and too stupidly.

Thanks for sharing. 
    Couldn't agree more and Brian May was also a fan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brilliant, brilliant guitarist. Our band is covering Kid and it's a fantastic bit of Jimmy's work.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1661
    Well, finally found something JHS and I have/had in common ...buggered if I can suss the timing in the chuck-chuck-chuck intro section on The Wait :)
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 538
    AK99 said:
    Well, finally found something JHS and I have/had in common ...buggered if I can suss the timing in the chuck-chuck-chuck intro section on The Wait :)
    AK99 said:
    Sorry pressed send by mistake. I played this and we counted it as 13/4. If you count along 1,2,3,4 - 1,2,3 - 1,2,3,4 - 1,2 it’s easier. There’s a couple of little skips on the snare that can throw you off though! That count seemed to work and I could get the guitar fitting in ok. Needed a bit of work though! 
  • 26.2 said:
    AK99 said:
    Sorry pressed send by mistake. I played this and we counted it as 13/4. If you count along 1,2,3,4 - 1,2,3 - 1,2,3,4 - 1,2 it’s easier. There’s a couple of little skips on the snare that can throw you off though! That count seemed to work and I could get the guitar fitting in ok. Needed a bit of work though! 
    Sounds like 3 bars of 4/4 followed by one bar of 2/4 to me.
  • This is the guy in action at what looks like a lunchtime rehearsal session at a South London boozer!
    I have no idea what he steps on to rock it up at 1:50 in but it sounds great....

Pretenders - Brass In Pocket (Live Rehearsal) (1979) (HD) - YouTube
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    26.2 said:
    AK99 said:
    Just had a listen and you’re right! Either I misremembered it or we made a right balls up of it! Sounded spot on at the time though - I’ll see if I can find a recording
  • CaseOfAce said:
    This is the guy in action at what looks like a lunchtime rehearsal session at a South London boozer!
    I have no idea what he steps on to rock it up at 1:50 in but it sounds great....

That's awesome...just knocking a new tune into shape ;)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    CaseOfAce said:
    This is the guy in action at what looks like a lunchtime rehearsal session at a South London boozer!

Absolutely marvellous stuff - thanks for sharing.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    CaseOfAce said:

Absolutely marvellous stuff - thanks for sharing.
    Non-metal guy being cool with a V!
    26.2 said:
    AK99 said:
    I'm better informed but alas, little the wiser :) 

So basically there's a rhythmic pattern that repeats every 14 beats - right ?
    Could anybody please point me towards the time-stamps on this where the 14 beat pattern(s) start and end.. ?

• AK99 said:
    26.2 said:
    AK99 said:
    I'm better informed but alas, little the wiser :) 

So basically there's a rhythmic pattern that repeats every 14 beats - right ?
    Could anybody please point me towards the time-stamps on this where the 14 beat pattern(s) start and end.. ?

First one starts at 0:16...next one at 0:21...it's where the B chord hits.
  • Looks like this:

edited September 2022
    ^ That's excellent. Thanks @digitalkettle ;; 

Forgive me for labouring the point ...

When I listen closely to the first bar of the set starting at 0:16 - I can relate exactly what I'm hearing on the guitar to what's written in the score above.

When I listen to the first bar of the following set beginning 0:21 though, the percussive strikes on the guitar sound like there's an extra rake of the strings on the upstroke added in between each down-stroke on the beat (if that makes any sense ) ?
  • Erm...maybe something like:

It's just messing around with syncopation ;)
  • SRichSRich Frets: 764
    What a banger that album is..........just sat and listened soup to nuts. Amazing music. That one is going into rotation when I re-find it upstairs.

And Chrissie....I mean come on!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    Erm...maybe something like:

It's just messing around with syncopation ;)
    Ah man.. I'm still trying to get my head round the switch of time signature in the 3rd bar..and u drop this on me ? :)

(If the 00:16 and 00:21 references in those scores relate directly to the audio track btw - that is either a really comprehensive score, or some bl**dy sophisticated transcription software - impressive either way! Thank you..)