Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Coke Life

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Anyone else tried this?

It's essentially half sugar Coke with Stevia. 

I'm assuming this is long term what they want to change the recipe to Coke to (as they already have done with Sprite), but after the Coke II debacle I guess they are pretty cautious about making any changes. 

I like it a lot. The taste is pretty similar, but the mouthfeel is different as it's not as syrupy for obvious reasons. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    Is this the black label with green writing one?
    Is Stevia better than Aspartame?
  • It's being promoted a lot in supermarkets. I've had 'all natural' coke from other brands which, to me, are more pleasant than regular coke.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Tried it, as they had it on offer at the local shopping emporium.

It was fizzy, tasted vaguely like Coke, and it satisfied my thirst.  Don't really have more of an opinion on it than that, really!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I'm diabetic so it's Diet Coke or Coke Zero for me - and had been for many years before I even was diabetic.

That said, I had a taste of this new Green Coke.  It was OK but, just like Original Coke, it felt like it was sticking to my teeth.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1144
    I've not tried it but the only other thing I tried with stevia was Tropicana orange juice - tasted absolutely foul to me!
  • It's not bad, better than Diet and Zero for my tastes. Stevia's meant to be relatively good for you, but knowing how sugary Coke is in general, this new stuff probably has 10 spoonfuls of the white stuff instead of the usual 30 odd...
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    I thought this was going to be a thread about Kerry Katona.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I am slightly dubious about Stevia. 

Lots of people are down on Aspartame, but despite various scares it has had huge numbers of studies done on it and no strong links have been found with any health conditions whereas Stevia is far too new for anyone to have found any long term health issues with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Why do they have to keep messing about with it?

OK, I understand if you're diabetic it's different, but for the rest of us, why can't they just keep making it using the proper original recipe and if it makes you fat, drink less of it!

Oh, I forgot - that means they sell less of it and the profit maximising department are out of a job...

Even the proper stuff isn't as good as it was before the New Coke disaster.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I don't think the UK recipe ever changed did it?
  • I can't drink the stuff anymore, sickly sweet, eeuuuurrgh. I used to drink tons of it up to being in my early 20's. I substituted it for something that's probably even worse, Alcohol.

When I first read the post I though it said "Half Sugar Coke with Steve Vai"

B-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    When I first read the post I though it said "Half Sugar Coke with Steve Vai"
    I believe Steve Vai coke is Fire Garden Sweet. 

I'll get my coat.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    monquixote said:
    I don't think the UK recipe ever changed did it?

I'm pretty sure it did. I think the change was that they never went back to cane sugar even after they reintroduced 'Classic' Coke - part of the reason they wanted to change to New Coke was to use cheaper corn sugar. I might be wrong on that though, it's something I read a long time ago. I never thought it tasted quite the same, anyway. Or it may have just been the usual childhood rose-tinted glasses, like all your favourite sweets never actually being bigger in the good old days ;).
    Except that some of them were.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    I don't think UK Coke ever went to Corn Syrup. Neither did Canada (I think people used to import it when New Coke was around).

Quite a few American drinks are based on it and they taste very different.

If the UK was going to change it would almost certainly be to beet sugar from the factory up the road from me.

For all the guff about the secret recipe Coke tastes different in every country.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited September 2014
    I am slightly dubious about Stevia. 

Lots of people are down on Aspartame, but despite various scares it has had huge numbers of studies done on it and no strong links have been found with any health conditions 
    ICBM said:
    OK, I understand if you're diabetic it's different, but for the rest of us, why can't they just keep making it using the proper original recipe and if it makes you fat, drink less of it!

Whilst I'm also unconvinced that aspartame is carcinogenic etc - research has shown that it can increase glucose levels as much as sugar does and contrary to popular belief diet drinks are just as bad for diabetics as full sugar drinks other than them obviously being less fatty which is a pre-cursor to late onset diabetes. 
    Of this I am totally convinced.
    I'm Type 2 and I still drink Coke Zero mainly cus I find regular Coke to be too sweet and cus it's less fatty but the diabetes epidemic (and it is an epidemic) is not being helped by the popular theory that diet drinks are not harmful to diabetics.

Stevia on the other hand has been shown to improve insulin resistance and is tolerated at levels on par with baseline (normal) levels.
    This research is still in early stages.

Also I believe that unlike aspartame, some sweeteners are not broken down by the body therefore doe not create extra calories. Aspartme is broken down and creates carbs so it's not a fat free as we are lead to believe.  
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I have stevia sweetener, it's quite bitter. I like sucralose/splenda the best.
    My V key is broken
  • littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited September 2014
    Whilst I'm also unconvinced that aspartame is carcinogenic etc - research has shown that it can increase glucose levels as much as sugar does and contrary to popular belief diet drinks are just as bad for diabetics as full sugar drinks other than them obviously being less fatty which is a pre-cursor to late onset diabetes. 
    Of this I am totally convinced.

I don't know if I believe that or not - it does concern me - but I choose to ignore it because I can't just drink water all the bloody time.  I know it sounds weird but I don't really like the taste of water.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    My grandfather was friends with this rich American bloke who was almost evangelical in his attitude towards Coca-Cola. I think he'd visited a factory and always used to say "if you saw what they put in it, you'd never touch the stuff again".

I always used to wonder what this mysterious terrible ingredient was... but of course the most poisonous substance in Coke is the sugar.
    edited September 2014
    My grandfather was friends with this rich American bloke who was almost evangelical in his attitude towards Coca-Cola. I think he'd visited a factory and always used to say "if you saw what they put in it, you'd never touch the stuff again".

I always used to wonder what this mysterious terrible ingredient was... but of course the most poisonous substance in Coke is the sugar.
    Maybe the caffeine, given how obsessive the Americans are about "decaf".

Many years ago I asked an American friend out of idle curiosity "what do they do with all the caffeine they take out of their coffee?" (thinking there must be a caffeine mountain somewhere) and he looked at me like I was stupid and said "they sell it to Coca-Cola, of course". Doh. Yes, I was stupid…

I just drink real coffee *and* Coca-Cola, double win!

:)

Philly_Q said:
    I don't know if I believe that or not - it does concern me - but I choose to ignore it because I can't just drink water all the bloody time.  I know it sounds weird but I don't really like the taste of water.
    Having checked your location I can easily understand that :). Never mind, it will run out soon and they'll have to start piping it from somewhere with nice water, like Wales or Scotland.