Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• mart said:
    ....And at some point in the past we talked about doing Bowie's version of China Girl, but it didn't happen in the end. Does anybody fancy channelling their inner SRV?
    I've played Let's Dance in bands many times. Is that close enough? Otherwise I'm up for learning China Girl.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 92
    Stick me down for rhythm on I Fought the Law.
    +1 on another run-thru please
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2226
    edited November 2022
    Here's an updated song list. I've got 2 run trhoughs of 'I Fought The Law', one with @Jonathangus on rhythm and one with @Brocco

I've also added China Girl at the suggestion of @mart. I'll have a go at the lead guitar role unless anyone else wants to do it.

Let me know if I've missed anything or if there are any errors.

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Sorry I'm no good at thinking of songs! But I can figure things out quite easily. If something pops into my head I'll mention it
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    mart said:
    ....And at some point in the past we talked about doing Bowie's version of China Girl, but it didn't happen in the end. Does anybody fancy channelling their inner SRV?
    I've played Let's Dance in bands many times. Is that close enough? Otherwise I'm up for learning China Girl.
    I'd be happy with either Let's Dance or China Girl. 
  • mart said:
    mart said:
    I'd be happy with either Let's Dance or China Girl. 
    OK, I'll change it to Let's Dance at the next update, as I know that already.

It's not a competition.
    edited November 2022
    And another update to the song list, with Let's Dance replacing China Girl

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    OK  I might just pop down to "say hello" and be sociable  -   (I'll bring a geetar or two just in case) 

tho   I "might" be tempted to do vox on Just What I Needed (again !!)  Im no singer,  but I'll have a run through and get Mrs Bert to "pass judgement"  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    bertie said:
    OK  I might just pop down to "say hello" and be sociable  -   (I'll bring a geetar or two just in case) 

tho   I "might" be tempted to do vox on Just What I Needed (again !!)  Im no singer,  but I'll have a run through and get Mrs Bert to "pass judgement"  

The more the merrier!
  • I was having a muse that I’d like to maybe have a crack at a bit of 80s hair metal - something like Nothing but a Good time by Poison or Dr Feelgood by Mötley Crüe.

Can we have go at those do you think?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • I was having a muse that I’d like to maybe have a crack at a bit of 80s hair metal - something like Nothing but a Good time by Poison or Dr Feelgood by Mötley Crüe.

We did Talk Dirty to Me last time.  No reason we can't do it again, I reckon.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Ok cool, nothing but a good time is tuned Eb on the record, I’m guessing Dr Feelgood is lower than that - so maybe in the interest of tuning nightmares some of the learned members could suggest what’s doable or not and if to bin-off  maybe the Crue?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.

Ok cool, nothing but a good time is tuned Eb on the record, I’m guessing Dr Feelgood is lower than that - so maybe in the interest of tuning nightmares some of the learned members could suggest what’s doable or not and if to bin-off  maybe the Crue?
    i was also going to suggest Nothin' But a Good Time!

Plus:

Yankee Rose - David Lee Roth

Dr Feelgood is possible but easier if we stick in standard (original is down a whole step). Only trouble is the vocals will be pretty high. Girls Girls Girls might be easier to get together quickly too. I know lots of Crue and up for any and all of it! :)
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 92
    Most tracks suggested so far don't have a drummer in the band yet!
    edited November 2022
    I was having a muse that I’d like to maybe have a crack at a bit of 80s hair metal - something like Nothing but a Good time by Poison or Dr Feelgood by Mötley Crüe.

Plus:

Dr Feelgood is possible but easier if we stick in standard (original is down a whole step). Only trouble is the vocals will be pretty high. Girls Girls Girls might be easier to get together quickly too. I know lots of Crue and up for any and all of it!

Should I add these new suggestions to the list, as it was suggested that we select 3 each? In the end it will boil down to whether we have any takers for the singer and drummer roles.

It's not a competition.
  • Yeah, there's potentially a lot of new songs for @onlyonebradders to get his head round (assuming he's up for it again)...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

edited November 2022
    Yeah, there's potentially a lot of new songs for @onlyonebradders to get his head round (assuming he's up for it again)...
    Perhaps we should include some from previous jams. Also, maybe let the drummers plus singers drive the song selections.

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7046
    As a drummer (and singer) it’s a lot of effort to learn new songs to a suitable level and as theres only a few other singers and drummers there’s lots of songs to learn for the jams. So any that I’ve already done the work for (transcribing and learning for previous jams) are easy to say yes to straight away. I’ve probably only got the time to learn two or three new ones for each jam (as I also want to play guitar on some!), unless they are very simple drum parts.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1

Plus:

Dr Feelgood is possible but easier if we stick in standard (original is down a whole step). Only trouble is the vocals will be pretty high. Girls Girls Girls might be easier to get together quickly too. I know lots of Crue and up for any and all of it!

Should I add these new suggestions to the list, as it was suggested that we select 3 each? In the end it will boil down to whether we have any takers for the singer and drummer roles.

Yeah might as well. I’m pretty easy really though and don’t mind what I play :)
    edited November 2022
    OK, I've added some more to the list.

It's not a competition.