For the first time in my life I actually paid to watch a tribute band

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2438
And they were ace:

https://wearenotdevo.wordpress.com/

Any Fretboarders involved here? Obviously a massive labour of love!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1863
    I know the drummer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2438
    Tell him he's awesome!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    I saw an Abba tribute band at Center Parcs... I guess I paid for that, although I think of it as part of the overall cost of the holiday.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11462
    I've seen the Australian Doors and the Australian Pink Floyd, both of whom were great.

I've also seen a Belgian Jethro Tull tribute band, and that was the worst gig I've ever seen. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2869
    Limehouse Lizzy very good
    The Fillers extremely good

• I once got paid to watch a Queen tribute band. Well, I was paid to play in another band, but I got to see the Queen act on the same bill. That was fun.

I got paid, twice, to play in a Wurzels tribute band. That wasn't as much fun, but actually more remunerative.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    One of the first bands I ever saw, as a teenager in Swansea, was a local outfit called Bomber.  They weren't exactly a tribute band - I'm not sure the term had even been invented - but their entire set consisted of Motorhead and Status Quo covers.

Thinking about it, Motorhead was a really new band then.  Bomber had their fingers on the musical pulse.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited October 2022
    I saw the spicey girls at a student union bar in Glasgow once.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    I've paid to see Fred Zeppelin more than once. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2438
    I was just amazed that there are apparently five people in the UK who love Devo enough to want to form a tribute band, given that it can't be much of a money-spinner. And they really go for it too. The drummer has Alan Myers' parts down perfectly and that shit is not easy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive been in quite a few fairly big tributes and its a strange feeling when people are paying to see you vs pubs/functions gigs. When you/they get it right, tributes are fantastic. Theres ones Ive worked with or seen Id pay to watch over and over. Illegal Eagles, Just Radiohead, Liqueur, Mothership to name a few.    
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10634
    edited October 2022
    I really enjoy playing in a tribute band and have to say the moneys amazing. This week we play Norden Farm, Maidenhead on Friday and the O2 Academy, Islington on Saturday. 
    It is a labour of love in my experience, there's a massive amount of work involved but once that's done you do get to play in some fantastic venues to some lovely people... who love that music as much as you do. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I like tribute bands. I'd pay to see any that were conveniently close to home, not the sort of thing I could be assed to travel for. Haven't paid to see any, but saw a Bon Jovi band that were entertaining at a wedding bash.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24906
    I once saw a Pink Floyd tribute at the Derngate Theatre in Northampton. Was maybe 25 years ago, and the place I worked at advertised or sponsored something at the theatre so cheap tickets were available sometimes.

Big show - amazing lights. Great sound.
    If the songs had been any good then it might have been a good night. But that's the fault of the real Pink Floyd.

I'm really glad it was seating only for the audience otherwise there would have been injuries when people fell asleep while standing.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16463
    The official Queen tribute band were good. No dressing up, great musicians. Focused more on the 70s material so I probably liked them more than I would Queen these days. 

I’ve seen a few over the years and unsurprisingly some are great, some are a bit rubbish. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I once saw a Pink Floyd tribute at the Derngate Theatre in Northampton. Was maybe 25 years ago, and the place I worked at advertised or sponsored something at the theatre so cheap tickets were available sometimes.

Big show - amazing lights. Great sound.
    If the songs had been any good then it might have been a good night. But that's the fault of the real Pink Floyd.

I'm really glad it was seating only for the audience otherwise there would have been injuries when people fell asleep while standing.

You need a spliff. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    edited October 2022
    I've been a regular watcher of some of the Steely Dan tribute bands like Nearly Dan but more recently, Stanley Dee and Simply Dan. They're all good.

The Kate Bush one  Cloudbusting, are excellent and only 2 wks ago, I saw The Illegal Eagles and they were superb.

Friends are in these bands and you can get decent money from the theatre shows and in a lot of instances, because of the attention to detail and where those artists are now in terms of age, ability or even death, the tributes are better 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2869
    I’m seeing KateBushka this week :) 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11462
    sev112 said:
    I’m seeing KateBushka this week :) 
    If she was blonde she could be Kate Bushkakaka. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    I went an all dayer ages ago with loads of classic rock tribute bands, it was really great fun, everyone seemed really happy to be there great atmosphere.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"