Synth apps for iPad

What's Hot
I have a midi keyboard that gets no use and a bit of spare time this weekend. Prompted by a discussion on synths for beginners, I’m tempted to try out an app in the first instance to see if I can make any interesting noises using my iPad and midi keyboard, before going down the rabbit hole of GASing for an actual synthesizer. Something like this - https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/korg-ipolysix-for-ipad/id579232173

Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really like this https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audiokit-synth-one-synthesizer/id1371050497

Plays well with AUM (that's worth looking into too) and my fishman triple play and best bit – it's free.
  • The Moog Animoog Z is a must try. It's free for a start!

The Moog Model D is pricey for an app (and loud), but who better to make an iOS emulation of their classic synth?

Tardigrain is worth looking at for granular synthesis, though it's confusing as heck

Koala Sampler, while more of a beat making tool also lets you play samples chromatically, which is another form of synthesis:
    (Note you have to pay to use Koala Sampler in AUM as a second purchase, as the developer said getting it to work was a hell of an undertaking)

My other recommendation would be AUM. It makes it easy to route audio from an app say the Model D, through plugins to a speaker. It also handles midi routing or splits (so you can have the low notes go to one app, the high notes go somewhere else). It's really handy to be able get everything configured, save the set up and just be able recall and plug and play.
    Check out some tutorials and see if its for you first though

If you've got the facility to run your synths through plugins (though AUM or some other means), you might as well grab ChowTapeModel which is a free plugin developed by a researcher at Stanford:

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27119
    Don't overlook Alchemy Synth with Garageband - it's good fun
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 138
    Don't overlook Alchemy Synth with Garageband - it's good fun
    I’ve been playing with this a bit but it seems like trial and error for choosing sounds. Fun, but I’m not really understanding what a synth does
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I really like this https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audiokit-synth-one-synthesizer/id1371050497

Plays well with AUM (that's worth looking into too) and my fishman triple play and best bit – it's free.
    Can I get some advice here. Complete newbie to synths and I know literally nothing about them but I liked the idea of having one to muck around with but without the big investment of a physical device. So I’ve downloaded Synth One to my phone and it’s great. It’s not easy to use on a phone though, so what’s the best way of making it a better experience? Get an iPad? If I did that would any version of iPad do or do I need, say, a more recent type or particular spec?  Can I also hook up a proper keyboard to the iPad to make it a better playing experience? If so, any recommendations for a particular model? 

Then, how do I get the sound out to some speakers? I have a hifi system with Bluetooth, would that work? Or do I need powered monitors or an amp, and how do I hook either of those up? 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6160
    > Synth One ... not easy to use on a phone though, so what’s the best way of making it a better experience? Get an iPad?

Yes. By far, even a recent iPad Mini (

> If I did that would any version of iPad do or do I need, say, a more recent type or particular spec?

Synths need CPU, and the cleverer the synth, the more CPU (i.e. ROMplers like Platinum Synth don't need so much). I use an iPad Mini 6 and that's fine

> Can I also hook up a proper keyboard to the iPad to make it a better playing experience?

Yes - a few do MIDI over WIFI (Korg Air, CME Xkey Air). But I'm suspicious of latency with those.

> If so, any recommendations for a particular model? 

Fullsize or minikeys? If you want to add beats, then one with 8-16 pads is a good idea. Can use most USB controllers with an Apple CCK. I use an Arturia Keylab 61

> Then, how do I get the sound out to some speakers?

I'd suggest an audio interface. But not all are iOS-compatible, so check for 'class compliance'

>I have a hifi system with Bluetooth, would that work?

Yes, except for lousy latency. Use wires. And be wary of using a resonant filter patch in the synth, it'll challenge what made-for-hifi speakers can manage.

> Or do I need powered monitors or an amp, and how do I hook either of those up? 

To the same audio interface.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Cheers @goldtop. ; ;)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7155
    Sunrizer is another good one and does the JP8000 Super Saw thing

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    Wizdom Music GeoShred will have you making interesting noises on your iPad WITHOUT recourse to a controller keyboard. The user interface resembles a cut-down version of the LinnStrument. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Korg gadget is a lot of fun, great synths and great sequencer workflow too.