Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What Does Road Worn mean?

What's Hot

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    Can a Roadworn, Relic etc ever be called brand new ? “Showing no signs of wear or damage” unquote.
    Yes, but if the wear is small, it would be hard to tell...but the frets should never be worn.
    Thats the point of a relic. All the important bits for use, frets, electronics, and new, but it feels 'worn in'. Thats the bit people seem to miss when they mock relics. 
    But you could buy a used guitar. Change the pickups. Give it a refret. It would still look cooler. I like the Ainsley Lister approach of rebuilding that 70’s gold Strat. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4501
    jeztone2 said:
    But you could buy a used guitar. Change the pickups. Give it a refret. It would still look cooler. I like the Ainsley Lister approach of rebuilding that 70’s gold Strat. 
    And how much do you suppose that cost, all in?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    I'm sure I speak for many when I say it's great we are finally getting to have the debate about whether relics are brilliant or rubbish.
    That was not my intention. I asked a genuine question but it seems that marketing hype is,once more,trying to obfuscate a buyer's choice of guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4501
    Hattigol said:
    I'm sure I speak for many when I say it's great we are finally getting to have the debate about whether relics are brilliant or rubbish.
    That was not my intention. I asked a genuine question but it seems that marketing hype is,once more,trying to obfuscate a buyer's choice of guitar.
    Not really because you've been given all the information and are still going on about marketing hype and obfuscation. 
  • Lewy said:
    Hattigol said:
    Not really because you've been given all the information and are still going on about marketing hype and obfuscation. 
    I had no idea if it was true. I am also a sceptic so wanted to confirm or deny that the scepticism was justified.
    And here I was thinking a forum was designed to help people understand more about their hobby. Silly me.
  • Lewy said:
    Hattigol said:
    I had no idea if it was true. I am also a sceptic so wanted to confirm or deny that the scepticism was justified.
    And here I was thinking a forum was designed to help people understand more about their hobby. Silly me.
    Reality is, do you want a shiny guitar, that plays great and feels brand new, or an aged one that plays great and feels brilliantly played in. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7403
    Pot Holed...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I'd like that but with a perfect shiny-new finish pleasethankyou.

Everyone else can have whatever they prefer. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 651
    I am quite capable of wearing in my guitars myself ,at least it would be original and not pretend,although I do like to keep all my guitars in pristine condition.i have had my strat now for 21years and the only visible wear is on the maple board and slight fret ware, ,the body is virtually pristine it does look quite brand new.
    Would never buy anything reliced or road worn unless it was  cheaper than dirt cheap,then I would refinish it.
  • Lewy said:
    Hattigol said:
    Reality is, do you want a shiny guitar, that plays great and feels brand new, or an aged one that plays great and feels brilliantly played in. 
    I have a preference for non aged personally,but as somebody who has only ever owned two electric guitars,very briefly,during my guitar playing days. I use this section of the site to educate myself on the pros and cons of electric guitar. I am a guitar novice who has only been playing for a few years and know very little about the electric side as I only currently own and play acoustic. I am hoping this will change very soon and 'forewarned is forearmed' as is sometimes said.
  • Hattigol said:

Why'd you have to say that...? Damn, look its already happening.

Calling my therapist.
  • For me the idea of road worn or relic is pretty stupid, I mean get your own bumps and stories. 

In reality is nice not giving two hoots about the first scratch and does look cool (most the time).
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12327
    Don't think of it as a pretend used guitar...which is how it appears.  Look REALLY superficially, which is what it is, and by superficially, just think of it as paint.

A red painted guitar, a blue painted guitar, a sunburst painted guitar or a relic guitar.

It is nothing more than the finish chosen.  It is THAT superficial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • My luthier/tech guy is one of those cluttered kind of souls, with a work-place that isn't tidied every now and then, probably never - but he's a genius, God bless him - and he has scratched every one of my nitro paint jobs. Some serious scratches, mind you. 

But I don't mind. He gives me a discount and an apology, and I go home with a guitar that plays like butter.

I've gotten to the point where I actually admire his first scratch. Its a record of a guy I really enjoyed having crossed paths with, and really, it frees me up from OCD'ing over doing it myself. 

I actually enjoy every new mark I see when I pick one or another up to practice...
  • My luthier/tech guy is one of those cluttered kind of souls, with a work-place that isn't tidied every now and then, probably never - but he's a genius, God bless him - and he has scratched every one of my nitro paint jobs. Some serious scratches, mind you. 

But I don't mind. He gives me a discount and an apology, and I go home with a guitar that plays like butter.

I've gotten to the point where I actually admire his first scratch. Its a record of a guy I really enjoyed having crossed paths with, and really, it frees me up from OCD'ing over doing it myself. 

I actually enjoy every new mark I see when I pick one or another up to practice...
    This is a whole different topic! Now we have 'unintentionally road worn/reliced.'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  Factory Road Worn - Desirable

Genuinely Road Worn - No one wants it 
    See my 30 yr old PRS for sale , all real and any marks from years of playing, no one wants it 
    Crazy world we live in 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5118
    Depends if it's genuine road-worn/aged or artificially relic'd/roadworn.
    In the former it's "that's a well-used guitar", in the latter it's "that's as real as the fake tan on an assistant of a department store makeup counter".
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 747
    carlos said:
    He’d have had an easier time tying the rope on if he’d used a JEM.
  • Roadworn's just another word for nothing left to lose.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12327
    edited November 2022
    A real well-used, toured guitar with low frets, scratchy pots, stinks of cigarettes and fretboard covered in dead skin and gunk.  Unless you are David Gilmore.  That well worn guitar is not desirable.  (Exceptions to vintage, which you would clean up etc).

If the above is one from like 20 years old Fender Standard Strat from 1999 own by a nobody.  That kind of roadwon is not what people are looking for, at least not what i am looking for.  Whilst I can appreciate the hard work it has gone though, if i am buying a relic guitar, i don't want that "baggage".

I want a clean, working order electronics, frets that doesn't need re-fretting and no DNA ocean please.  If you want to call that fake, that's fine, but that is the finish i choose.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom