Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Use Your Illusion Remasters....

What's Hot
BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5013
edited November 2022 in Music
So yesterday..... (there were so many things I was never told...),

They finally released the first remasters from the Illusion LPs, Planet Rock made a big fuss of the November Rain one which now has a live orchestra on it, ably assisted by one Steven Wilson. It sounds good, some new fancy parts and the guitars sound more "live" but.. I dug out my original vinyl pressings tonight and compared the original to the remaster. Prefer the original, hahaha.....

I mean it's how its sounded for the last 31 years of my life, so I guess it's familiar I just don't get why sometimes they have to fuck with stuff. I prefer Metallica's approach to remasters, clean it up and release it as it sounded before. 

I do forget how good some of the stuff on these is too

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• After the near-perfection of Appetite.., UYI  was a disappointment of colossal proportions. It’d take more than a Steven Wilson remix to sort it out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5013
    After the near-perfection of Appetite.., UYI  was a disappointment of colossal proportions. It’d take more than a Steven Wilson remix to sort it out.
    Ahhh, the sound of my youth really, Appetite, Illusions, Metallica, AC-DC, Maiden, Pearl Jam, Crowes.... I like the Illusions as much as Appetite in places, however Appetite was/is the best debut of all time (closely followed by Kill Em All for me), and is the better album for sure. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    Boromedic said:
    After the near-perfection of Appetite.., UYI  was a disappointment of colossal proportions. It’d take more than a Steven Wilson remix to sort it out.
    Ahhh, the sound of my youth really, Appetite, Illusions, Metallica, AC-DC, Maiden, Pearl Jam, Crowes.... I like the Illusions as much as Appetite in places, however Appetite was/is the best debut of all time (closely followed by Kill Em All for me), and is the better album for sure. 
    Can’t disagree with that though I do like UYI still.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23764
    Boromedic said:
    Planet Rock made a big fuss of the November Rain one which now has a live orchestra on it, ably assisted by one Steven Wilson. It sounds good, some new fancy parts and the guitars sound more "live" but.. I dug out my original vinyl pressings tonight and compared the original to the remaster. Prefer the original, hahaha.....

I mean it's how its sounded for the last 31 years of my life, so I guess it's familiar I just don't get why sometimes they have to fuck with stuff. I prefer Metallica's approach to remasters, clean it up and release it as it sounded before. 

To be honest I thought that's what a remaster was supposed to be, essentially.  Adding something that wasn't there before - like an orchestra - isn't a remaster.  It isn't even a remix, I don't know what you'd call it... reimagined?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Boromedic said:
    Planet Rock made a big fuss of the November Rain one which now has a live orchestra on it, ably assisted by one Steven Wilson. It sounds good, some new fancy parts and the guitars sound more "live" but.. I dug out my original vinyl pressings tonight and compared the original to the remaster. Prefer the original, hahaha.....

To be honest I thought that's what a remaster was supposed to be, essentially.  Adding something that wasn't there before - like an orchestra - isn't a remaster.  It isn't even a remix, I don't know what you'd call it... reimagined?
    You and me both! I guess reimagined would be the right phrase :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7063
    Boromedic said:
    Philly_Q said:
    If they were reimagining UYI they would have realised Get in the Ring was a mistake and dropped it from the rerelease ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Boromedic said:
    Philly_Q said:
    If they were reimagining UYI they would have realised Get in the Ring was a mistake and dropped it from the rerelease ;)
    Fuck you, suck my fuckin dick ;)

It's a great song, ruined by the middle part, damn you Axl!

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5216
    UYI would make a great EP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • If one were to make a playlist of say, an albums worth of tracks from UYI, 10 songs / 12 songs, what would they be? To save me having to listen to them. I never listened to either of the UYI albums.
    If one were to make a playlist of say, an albums worth of tracks from UYI, 10 songs / 12 songs, what would they be? To save me having to listen to them. I never listened to either of the UYI albums.
    Leave it with me..... I did the same with the Load/Reload albums.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:
    If it were re-recorded with a good drummer.

Reverend said:
    Wow, Sorum is stiff like compared to Adler (who I prefer), but he's a great drummer none the less. Game of opinions I guess!

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1594
    Adler definitely has the special sauce (not that!)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Boromedic said:
    Reverend said:
    Wow, Sorum is stiff like compared to Adler (who I prefer), but he's a great drummer none the less. Game of opinions I guess!
    He’s not a great drummer if he just beats the living daylights out of everything, plays with no dynamics and kills the rock n roll swagger of the early songs stone dead.

Perfectly competent drummer, and all that, but completely lacking all the qualities GnR needed.

edited November 2022
    Boromedic said:
    Reverend said:
    He’s not a great drummer if he just beats the living daylights out of everything, plays with no dynamics and kills the rock n roll swagger of the early songs stone dead.

Perfectly competent drummer, and all that, but completely lacking all the qualities GnR needed.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree on the Guns front, Adler is the drummer for them, much better player for their stuff even if technically nowhere compared to Sorum. Sorum was handpicked by Slash though so he's got something, depending on who you believe Adler is on UYI II, he plays on Civil War. Sounds just like Sorum, lol. 

Going back to the discussion in point, its like Simon Wright & Chris Slade and the other guy AC/DC used, nowhere near as much swing and swagger as Phil Rudd. 

edited November 2022
    If one were to make a playlist of say, an albums worth of tracks from UYI, 10 songs / 12 songs, what would they be? To save me having to listen to them. I never listened to either of the UYI albums.
    Sooooo, it's hard to whittle down to 10, so I went with a few more (there's 30 on the two!).. I've picked 15, but there's 2 in bold italics that you could miss off and give you 13 (my lucky number), let me know your thoughts once you've had a listen. Looks mega to me!

I've tried to give it an album flow but it's not perfect:

Right Next Door To Hell
    Bad Obsession
    14 Years
    Double Talkin Jive
    Civil War
    Don't Cry
    You Could Be MIne
    November Rain
    Pretty Tied Up
    The Garden
    Yesterdays
    Back Off Bitch
    Estranged
    Perfect Crime

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Boromedic said:
    Leave it with me..... I did the same with the Load/Reload albums.
    Post up the Load / Reload one too, although I like Load as an album, it’s pretty good.
    edited November 2022
    Do you have Spotify mate?

If so, here's a link:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4oS5rV1Gn0W4DiWOEQQFqf?si=uZKDofkAQJ2RT8Dr9I_1FA&utm_source=copy-link

If not I'll list em shortly.

Fuel
    Memory Remains
    Carpe Diem Baby
    Unforgiven II
    Until It Sleeps
    Wasting My Hate
    Bleeding Me
    Ain't My Bitch
    King Nothing
    Devils Dance
    Where The Wild Things Are
    Hero Of The Day
    Mama Said
    Fixxer

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    The real answer to the one UYI album is:

Civil War
    Dust n Bones
    You Could be Mine
    Knocking on Heaven's Door
    Bad Obsession
    Double Talkin Jive
    Let and Let Die
    Yesterdays
    So Fine
    Pretty Tied Up
    November Rain
    Don't Cry
    Coma
    Estranged

Unashamedly the best songs from the two albums. And unsurprisingly the songs that they normally played from the albums.

Although it's hugely flawed, I'm a big fan of the UYI era. There is so much footage of the shows out there so kudos to them for recording so much. Slash plays amazing on the tour. And Axl sounds fantastic. It's a pity that Duff looks so fucking awful. And Izzy left. And Sorum smashed through any roll the band had. (Maybe it was all shit after all ha!) But I just love it cos it is so early 90s. What a time to be alive.