Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Use Your Illusion Remasters....

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23764
    edited November 2022
    Boromedic said:
    Fuel
    Memory Remains
    Carpe Diem Baby
    Unforgiven II
    Until It Sleeps
    Wasting My Hate
    Bleeding Me
    Ain't My Bitch
    King Nothing
    Devils Dance
    Where The Wild Things Are
    Hero Of The Day
    Mama Said
    Fixxer
    I can't remember what all the Load/Reload tracks sound like to be honest, but I think I'd have 2x4, The Outlaw Torn and probably The House Jack Built in there... not sure which tracks I'd drop, but I'm not a big fan of Hero of the Day.

I must admit I've never listened to Use Your Illusion, I or II.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5013
    Philly_Q said:
    Boromedic said:
    Fuel
    Memory Remains
    Carpe Diem Baby
    Unforgiven II
    Until It Sleeps
    Wasting My Hate
    Bleeding Me
    Ain't My Bitch
    King Nothing
    Devils Dance
    Where The Wild Things Are
    Hero Of The Day
    Mama Said
    Fixxer
    I can't remember what all the Load/Reload tracks sound like to be honest, but I think I'd have 2x4, The Outlaw Torn and probably The House Jack Built in there... not sure which tracks I'd drop, but I'm not a big fan of Hero of the Day.

I must admit I've never listened to Use Your Illusion, I or II.
    2x4 hasn't aged well tbh, despite having a soft spot for it as I was at Donington when they played it for the first time. I love Outlaw Torn and also Jack but I wanted to do a one album 14 song list, and both of them tip the length over the edge :)

You should try either of the playlists mentioned in the thread or make one list from them both as theres plenty of overlap. Great stuff!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

edited November 2022
    LPManic said:
    The real answer to the one UYI album is:

Civil War
    Dust n Bones
    You Could be Mine
    Knocking on Heaven's Door
    Bad Obsession
    Double Talkin Jive
    Let and Let Die
    Yesterdays
    So Fine
    Pretty Tied Up
    November Rain
    Don't Cry
    Coma
    Estranged

Unashamedly the best songs from the two albums. And unsurprisingly the songs that they normally played from the albums.

Although it's hugely flawed, I'm a big fan of the UYI era. There is so much footage of the shows out there so kudos to them for recording so much. Slash plays amazing on the tour. And Axl sounds fantastic. It's a pity that Duff looks so fucking awful. And Izzy left. And Sorum smashed through any roll the band had. (Maybe it was all shit after all ha!) But I just love it cos it is so early 90s. What a time to be alive. 
    Defo a great time to be alive!! Such great music, I avoided the cover versions even though Live and Let Die is class. Love Coma but it's a fan song for me that, So Fine is a bit on the poo side  , although I still like it.

Listened to the rest of UYI II on vinyl earlier tonight, fuck it sounds great. What a band, fuck you Axl for being a douche and fuck you Slash and Duff for being complete wreck heads!!

LPManic said:
    But I just love it cos it is so early 90s. What a time to be alive. 
    The early '90s was a good time for me musically, but it was all about bands like King's X, Warrior Soul, Galactic Cowboys, Living Colour... I'm not sure what that is, "alternative metal"?  Also Corrosion of Conformity at their peak.  And grunge.  I like grunge.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1594
    Extra credit for GnR taking Faith No More and Soundgarden on the ginormous UYI tour. I t was almost certainly my first exposure to Soundgarden.

Metallica kept trying to do something similar with Alice In Chains, but kept getting rebuffed!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Philly_Q said:
    LPManic said:
    The early '90s was a good time for me musically, but it was all about bands like King's X, Warrior Soul, Galactic Cowboys, Living Colour... I'm not sure what that is, "alternative metal"?  Also Corrosion of Conformity at their peak.  And grunge.  I like grunge.
    This was my early 90s too. Add in Satriani, Vai and Zeppelin (mainly Zeppelin) and you've got what was strewn inside my Capri. We've talked about Warrior Soul before, if ever there was a band that should have made it etc.

Anyway, I was disappointed with UYI at the time but I'll give the remasters a go :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Philly_Q said:
    LPManic said:
    The Galactic Cowboys. Now there was a band I haven't thought of for a long time. I had a few of their CDs - they were fond of piddling about with hidden songs and other CD authorising silliness. 

Philly_Q said:
    LPManic said:
    The Galactic Cowboys. Now there was a band I haven't thought of for a long time. I had a few of their CDs - they were fond of piddling about with hidden songs and other CD authorising silliness. 
    Yes. lots of that on the first two albums, on Geffen Records.  The next few weren't so good, then they split, then they reformed - original lineup - and released a really great new album in 2017.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5216
    Philly_Q said:
    LPManic said:

The first couple of years of the  90s was COC, Trouble, Cathedral, Anathema, Kyuss, At The Gates, Sanctuary, Entombed, Dismember, Confessor, Poison Idea, Leatherface, Kinghorse, Dark Throne all at their peak. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    edited November 2022
    Dropping albums like Appetite and MOP on the world, it's kinda hard to top that or do anything that veers away from that style. Though I must admit I love both UYIs as well as Metallic's Load and Reload. They might get some flack, but if they were debuts by some other band, people would perhaps be raving about them a lot more than they do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7063
    GoFish said:
    Extra credit for GnR taking Faith No More and Soundgarden on the ginormous UYI tour. I t was almost certainly my first exposure to Soundgarden.

Saw that lineup at Wembley - that was a great gig!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    These are released today. 7hrs of music.

The live stuff sounds fantastic. 
    LPManic said:
    These are released today. 7hrs of music.

The live stuff sounds fantastic. 
    Awesome, loved the live vids they released back in the day. I will be listening later :)

• @Boromedic ; - you realise you've got Civil War on your list twice?   ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

@Boromedic ; - you realise you've got Civil War on your list twice?   ;)
    Lol, I do now!! Hahahaha, cheers for the heads up :)

• Boromedic said:
    Do you have Spotify mate?

If so, here's a link:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4oS5rV1Gn0W4DiWOEQQFqf?si=uZKDofkAQJ2RT8Dr9I_1FA&utm_source=copy-link

If not I'll list em shortly.
    Nice one!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7217
    Reverend said:
    UYI would make a great EP
    Or a coaster
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Boromedic said:
    So yesterday..... (there were so many things I was never told...),

They finally released the first remasters from the Illusion LPs, Planet Rock made a big fuss of the November Rain one which now has a live orchestra on it, ably assisted by one Steven Wilson. It sounds good, some new fancy parts and the guitars sound more "live" but.. I dug out my original vinyl pressings tonight and compared the original to the remaster. Prefer the original, hahaha.....

I mean it's how its sounded for the last 31 years of my life, so I guess it's familiar I just don't get why sometimes they have to fuck with stuff. I prefer Metallica's approach to remasters, clean it up and release it as it sounded before. 

I do forget how good some of the stuff on these is too
    Absolutely 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11772
    edited November 2022 tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    UYI would make a great EP
    I always thought that GNR messed up with UYI

As a follow up to AFD they needed a killer album with no filler and we possibly got the tracks but with about 300% too many other tracks 

I like the challenge of what to keep to make it work

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I love UYI which hold a special place in my heart as the albums that steered me into rock music as a 10/ 11 year old. At that age, I heard UYI before finding AFD.

To some degree, with the ballads and majesty, they round off and give a fuller picture of what GnR really were. Axl apparently wrote November Rain as a 19 year old and composed the orchestral parts (played on a synthesiser originally). They are also the albums that introduced me properly to exquisite guitar tone and the Les Paul, with the melodic solos on November Rain, Estranged and Don’t Cry among several others.

That said, I agree with the OP that the remixed November Rain isn’t an obvious improvement. But Im still giving serious thought to shelling out £250 for the collectors set with the Blu Ray concert.