Maybach guitars.

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6263
    edited November 2022
    tony99 said:
    Has anyone tried the LP custom versions: The Black Velvet, or the aged white Eidelweiss? I could be tempted
    They look great but apparently are very hard to get hold of. It seems Maybach build guitars to order and being a small company the waiting times are very long. 
    This was a response from a dealer when I recently inquired about the Black Velvet model:

"Maybach's guitars in particular are extremely difficult to get hold of and we've been waiting quite some time for the models we've ordered!
    The Black Velvet 57 isn't one we currently have on build already but we can get you a fresh one built, but it's worth baring in mind that because of their operation being so small it can take 9-12 months to arrive based on previous experience!"

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7228
    equalsql said:
    tony99 said:
    Has anyone tried the LP custom versions: The Black Velvet, or the aged white Eidelweiss? I could be tempted
    They look great but apparently are very hard to get hold of. It seems Maybach build guitars to order and being a small company the waiting times are very long. 
    This was a response from a dealer when I recently inquired about the Black Velvet model:

"Maybach's guitars in particular are extremely difficult to get hold of and we've been waiting quite some time for the models we've ordered!
    The Black Velvet 57 isn't one we currently have on build already but we can get you a fresh one built, but it's worth baring in mind that because of their operation being so small it can take 9-12 months to arrive based on previous experience!"

How does it work then, do you have to pay before you receive it?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3966
    The elephant in the room about Maybach guitars in GB though: Richard's Guitars... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    They seem quite well priced if they are that good.
    In ordered mine in April and it came a few weeks ago. Project already had it on order a month or so before I put my deposit down. I don't know what's going on but the certificate says it passed inspection in April. A few came and went on the second hand market in that time
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6263
    tony99 said:
    equalsql said:
    tony99 said:

How does it work then, do you have to pay before you receive it?
    In this case I believe the shop just ordered a range of instruments to add to their stock but if you want something they don't  hold then they would look to make a specific order just for you.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    @tony99 I put a £50 deposit down to secure mine. Project sell them before they land, there is more demand than supply
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 409
    edited November 2022
    Thomann seem to have limited models in stock. Including the 57 black velvet.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/maybach_lester_black_velvet_57.htm
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    Tempted to get the Lester 54 Maybach Custom P90 next. 

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    edited November 2022
    Late back to this but as it seems to have turned into a "show us your Maybach" thread I'll start with these:

As I said earlier in the thread, I bought this in January this year. It's so good I sold my Les Pauls as I realised I'd probably never play them again after playing this. My Gibsons were quite good examples of non CS Les Paul Standards, nearly great guitars but just not quite. 

I am genuinely struggling to find fault with this Maybach. If I'd had the choice I'd have not bothered with the "light ageing" that Maybach do as standard....but it's reasonably tastefully done and not enough to put me off ordering another "lightly aged" Lester.

Their Lesters are chambered (if that matters to you) which is one of the reasons they can build all their Lesters to their stated weight limit. It'll upset the LP purists I'm sure. On the plus side for the cork sniffers though is they have long tenon neck joints......once again if that makes any difference to you. No binding nibs and the binding is a touch thicker than Gibsons on the neck.

I ordered a Lester Goldrush '57 back in April from a retailer (with some less than glowing connections to this forum, hence me not naming them here). I'm still waiting for delivery and have actually made contact with I Music in Germany (Maybachs parent company) as the retailer wasn't being very communicative. I can't speak more highly of I Musics customer services. They replied to me almost immediately and put me in touch with their UK distributor who has also been equally as helpful.  

So I should have the Goldrush "before Christmas" I'm told.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    Iamnobody said:
    I like the cases! I’m sure I could like what’s in them as well…
    Oh yes, the cases are very nice too!
    Rowby1 said:
    I am genuinely struggling to find fault with this Maybach. If I'd had the choice I'd have not bothered with the "light ageing" that Maybach do as standard....but it's reasonably tastefully done and not enough to put me off ordering another "lightly aged" Lester.
    These are my feelings on the ageing too. For the quality/price I'm happy to go with the majority. You can only see it up close
    Rowby1 said:
    Their Lesters are chambered (if that matters to you) which is one of the reasons they can build all their Lesters to their stated weight limit. It'll upset the LP purists I'm sure. On the plus side for the cork sniffers though is they have long tenon neck joints......once again if that makes any difference to you. No binding nibs and the binding is a touch thicker than Gibsons on the neck.
    I think these spec differences matter mostly on paper, in part due to the efforts of Gibson's marketing team :-) the minute I picked one up none of these things really mattered. All the important bits are done right

Rowby1 said:
    So I should have the Goldrush "before Christmas" I'm told.
    Here's hoping
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7228
    I asked for email update on these and got a response today, very helpful:
    Saying build times are currently a year or longer so you have to be in it for a long haul. They were also recommending Gordon Smith guitars as a company who could make a similarly high quality product.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I really don't "get" Maybach.
  • bluecat said:
    Before I came on this forum,I had never heard of Maybach guitars.
    A few questions,how do they compare to Gibson Les pauls?I have never been a fan of Gibson's although I had a Jap copy of a Gibson acoustic for many years,how do they  compare to equivalent guitars,are they expensive for what you get? Or are they cheap?what is the build quality like? I have read that they are built in Germany,do they make them anywhere else? I have seen the Lester on here but do they make any other styles? I have been online but would like to hear from my  Fret Board Brothers who can give a genuine opinion ( sisters as well,of course).
    Played one of their Les Pauls and I’m afraid I liked neither the finish or the playability. For the price, I’d rather an official LP. 
    Just noticed how steep the neck angle on my Maybach is compared to my R7 Custom. It's a really high carve, the tailpiece is nearly all the way down and the strings clear the bridge. It all works out. The angle makes it comfortable for me to play (I'm quite small)

• I really like the look of Maybachs. Much of the talk here seems to be about their rather lovely looking Les Pauls. Alas, I'm not really a Les Paul guy.

When I was on the hunt for a nice aged-finish Strat earlier in the year the 'Stradovari' Strat copy was briefly on my list. They look and sound like excellently specced guitars and I'm sure they'd be really well put together. However, couldn't get over the look of their logo on the headstock. I actually think the logo looks good on the 3-a-side headstocks, but for some reason it looks unbelievably naff on a Fender headstock:

Reminds of the entry-level £100 piece of shit guitar I got for my 13th birthday.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12563
    I really like the look of Maybachs. Much of the talk here seems to be about their rather lovely looking Les Pauls. Alas, I'm not really a Les Paul guy.

When I was on the hunt for a nice aged-finish Strat earlier in the year the 'Stradovari' Strat copy was briefly on my list. They look and sound like excellently specced guitars and I'm sure they'd be really well put together. However, couldn't get over the look of their logo on the headstock. I actually think the logo looks good on the 3-a-side headstocks, but for some reason it looks unbelievably naff on a Fender headstock:

Reminds of the entry-level £100 piece of shit guitar I got for my 13th birthday.
    It's a small point but I totally agree.  For some reason that headstock looks really naff and cheap where as that on the LP-alikes looks classy.
    I am a bit numb to headstock variety now. I used to care a lot more. The logo looks like it's branded on rather than a decal?