Bass amp required - Help

What's Hot
robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 178
I'm a guitarist (of sorts). A bass player mate of mine is looking for a new amp. He is a cracking player bt in his own words has "made do" for years . So he plays in 4 bands - doesn't drive ! Any recommendations ??? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I recently switched from an Ampeg SVT with 8x10 to a Helix Rack, and much prefer it, much more portable and I can get all of the sounds I need out of it. Really good option! 
  • louis_LLM said:
    I recently switched from an Ampeg SVT with 8x10 to a Helix Rack, and much prefer it, much more portable and I can get all of the sounds I need out of it. Really good option! 
    What monitoring do u use/need?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I'm a guitarist (of sorts). A bass player mate of mine is looking for a new amp. He is a cracking player bt in his own words has "made do" for years . So he plays in 4 bands - doesn't drive ! Any recommendations ??? 
    In the words of a bass player I know, who doesn't drive...

"The best bass amp is someone else's PA". ;)

It's difficult to get a *properly* usable bass amp - if that has to include the speaker - that you can carry by yourself on public transport. I have an Ibanez Promethean combo - it's a 500W 1x10", just loud enough to hold its own against a moderately loud drummer, but even though I've replaced the speaker with a lighter neodymium one it's at the very upper end of what I would consider portable over any real distance without a car. It comes in a neat shoulder bag, and weighs 12Kg/25lb, but it's still a 30cm+ cube and quite awkward, especially if also carrying a bass even in a gig bag. I also recently tried a Markbass Micromark which was a *bit* smaller and lighter - although not that much really - but much less capable as an amp.

Even going for a separate head and cab isn't going to help much, no matter how tiny the head - and there are some truly ridiculously small ones now, in the 100-250W range - because the cab just can't be that small or light, the same sort of size as the Promethean is about the minimum.

The good news is that a decent preamp/multi-FX through the PA is a very valid alternative now, anything from a simple analogue amp emulator to a full digital processor can sound great and will literally fit in your gig bag pocket.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 278
    edited December 2022
    For lightweight days I use an swr spellbinder 1x10 combo, sometimes with an Aphex Bass Exciter to make it sound bigger (not necessary for jazz, but a good idea for rock).

Like everyone else, I'd regard a bigger rig as better, but it is surprisingly good for its size and weight.

It's 160w, and is plenty loud enough for pub-size venues.  It works with drums, keys, guitar and two horns without breaking into a sweat. Its semi-parametric eq is very sensitive, and takes a bit of care to dial in. 

If your bandmates are all busy trying to 'cut through the mix,' then you might want to choose something else.  Or find some musicians who actually listen to the rest of the band. 

The PA will certainly have a better low end. As long as you can trust the monitoring. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14462
    Beware of trusting wattage figures. Check whether they are RMS or Peak and at what impedance rating they are achieved.

e.g. On paper, the Fender Rumble 200 seems to qualify for Secret_Sam's definition of loud enough. In reality, the nominal 200w is only achieved when an extension cabinet is connected. On its own, the combo is only good for 125-130w.

I vaguely recall Tony Butler of Big Country saying in a music magazine interview that he chose bass amplification by multiplying whatever wattage the guitarists were using by four.

My approach is to have a 450w system and never need to use it anywhere near full power.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • No-one's ever going to regret having too much bass :-). One of my favourite afternoons was in a rehearsal room where someone had left one of those monstrous Ampeg amps with an 8x10 cab. 

It solves the OP's problem in a very literal sense insofar as having a car won't help you carry it. You need a low-loader and a forklift.

On the other hand...

I had an SWR bass 350 and in a couple of decades only had to call on its full glory twice. The internet is full of people who complain that the Bass 350 isn't loud enough.  God save their ears. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a markbass combo in the classifieds, about  15kgs.

I like mine. Not sure I could carry it and  a bass on a bus though.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited December 2022
    slugelise said:
    There's a markbass combo in the classifieds, about  15kgs.

I like mine. Not sure I could carry it and  a bass on a bus though.
    I'd be struggling to lift the bus even without the Markbass amp and the bass on top of it...

( =) )
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Your best best is a Barrfaced cab (one x 10 is enough for rehearsals, 1 x 12 for gigs), a class D head (trace Elliot elf) and a backpack to put it alongside leads.

I’ve gigged this set up and it works perfectly welll and is light enough to carry long distances. Get a cover for the cab!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    edited December 2022
    https://www.toob.fi/

I can't comment on their bass speakers, but am enjoying the Metro guitar one. And certainly very lightweight!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27106
    edited December 2022
    Does he actually need an amp? 

Either of the Origin Bassrig pedals straight into the desk (and house amp if it exists) is a hell of a good sound and super convenient for live use & recording
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    I have Barefaced cabs and an Orange Terror head. Compared to ‘traditional’ rigs it’s ridiculously light. I have a compact and a midget cab both of which are one hand carry. The head is the 1000w version which is way overkill for anything I will ever do. If you used something like the new TE elf head it would be even lighter still.
  • Thanks all . 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260

Either of the Origin Bassrig pedals straight into the desk (and house amp if it exists) is a hell of a good sound and super convenient for live use & recording
    Alternatively (and similarly) as a mostly home player I have a little EBS Session 30 1x8 combo. Recently (presumably out of desperation) I was called on to do a “house band” bass player slot at a local jam session, I had the little combo on a chair in front of me facing back for on-stage monitoring with the DI output from it running into the (modest PA) for FOH, it sounded fine out front, I had no problem hearing myself over the rest of the band, and actually ended up backing the volume on the combo down a bit after a couple of songs…

So yeah, decent preamp, DI, and a little bit of something on stage and you’re sorted - the little EBS combo just happens to be all three in a single easy one handed carry box, and I reckon if I ever play anywhere that needs more grunt on stage than it can provide when setup nice and close to me there’ll almost certainly be enough on-stage monitoring to fill the gap.

Which is not to say it isn’t good fun when I get to plug in to somebody else monster rig now and again… :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • If you have the means to get up to Newcastle upon Tyne & pick up a Genz Benz Countour 500 combo, message me & you can have it for free. It's never been gigged & comes with no container & will need a car since it's a 2 x 10.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24371
    The brand new even lighter Mark Bass combos are just starting to hit the shops.
    It's the "MB58R" series (snappy name!)

https://www.markbass.it/bass-amplifiers/ba-combos/?markbass=1&pa_series=mb58r&paged=1

Choice of 300W or 500W, some with 12s and others with 15s

The 300W 121P is only just over 10kg! I fancy one of those myself.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I’ll second the Barefaced One10 and Trace Elliot Elf suggestion. The cab is ridiculously light and ridiculously good. The amp fits in your jacket pocket, or pocket of your gig bag. I use this setup to rehearse and for small gigs, and have never had the amp past halfway, even with just one cab. I am now adding a second cab…….just because it’s more betterer. 

I also have a Markbass LM3 (500w) and two Traveler 102P’s. The cabs are really light too, but I wouldn’t try taking them on public transport.

Rob
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    edited February 2023
    I'm primarily a bass player.  The rig I've recommended in the past is a one handed light weight job.  A Class D based amp like TC electronic RH450, Genz Benz Shuttle or similar and a neo loaded cab like an EBS Neo212 or maybe a Barefaced.  The amp normally gets thrown over a shoulder or (in the case of the GB Shuttle, will fit in the pocket of some bass gig bags).  I wouldn't recommend the Elf, it's a little short on power but I suppose with a Bareface cab, the speaker sensitivity will work in the amps favour.

[This space for rent]

• Your best best is a Barrfaced cab (one x 10 is enough for rehearsals, 1 x 12 for gigs), a class D head (trace Elliot elf) and a backpack to put it alongside leads.

I’ve gigged this set up and it works perfectly welll and is light enough to carry long distances. Get a cover for the cab!
    Funnily enough! Can I cheekily suggest a gander in the bass classifieds here :)

After years of lugging kit around, lightness just about trumps everything unless you have a willing partner or roadie.

All the best,
    Pete
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    JayGee said:

Alternatively (and similarly) as a mostly home player I have a little EBS Session 30 1x8 combo. Recently (presumably out of desperation) I was called on to do a “house band” bass player slot at a local jam session, I had the little combo on a chair in front of me facing back for on-stage monitoring with the DI output from it running into the (modest PA) for FOH, it sounded fine out front, I had no problem hearing myself over the rest of the band, and actually ended up backing the volume on the combo down a bit after a couple of songs…

So yeah, decent preamp, DI, and a little bit of something on stage and you’re sorted - the little EBS combo just happens to be all three in a single easy one handed carry box, and I reckon if I ever play anywhere that needs more grunt on stage than it can provide when setup nice and close to me there’ll almost certainly be enough on-stage monitoring to fill the gap.

Which is not to say it isn’t good fun when I get to plug in to somebody else monster rig now and again… :-)
    I drive but am challenged ably so do the EBS Session 30 into the PA thing for a pub gig and works fine. No complaints and I think most box on a stick PAs these days can easily carry a credible bottom end.

It all depends what sort of bands and types of gig the OP's mate is doing that would really help to make a recommendation. Also the gigs should be providing taxi fare some of the time.