Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What new song are you currently learning / working on?

What's Hot
CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
I have just purchased the sheet music for the Rolling Stones song, Angie, and am starting to learn how to play it.

'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 988
    Mr brightside.

We've been wanting to bring it into the set for ages and I've been chickening out. Time to man up.

Angie is such a beautiful song. Good luck.
  • I’ve hardly played since Covid but thought I should try and play something. So Drag Racer (the BBC snooker theme). Not a huge amount to it but my timing gets out which annoys me. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3137
    Meantime by Peter Blegvad and Vin Garbutt's version (the best version) of Green Mossy Banks of the Lea.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7063
    Trying to get Heartbreaker by Dirty Honey learnt at the moment, am struggling with the vocals and solo.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14822
    One of my own.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CoolCat said:
    I have just purchased the sheet music for the Rolling Stones song, Angie, and am starting to learn how to play it.

If you hit any frustrations with your sheets, this guy usually nails stuff:
    https://youtu.be/wS_i91qxQYM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5206
    I’m currently learning Sparky’s dream by teenage fan club via Adrian on YouTube 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12614
    Having recently acquired a Gibson jumbo I’m mainly playing that at the moment. Learning/relearning mainly Rem early 90s stuff and Neil Young. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1445
    edited November 2022
    All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey - featuring slash chords, a IIm V I and somehow figuring out the voicings for an arrangement that will work for a 4 piece in time for next month.

For my own pleasure, learning to play and sing Brown Eyed Women (Grateful Dead) by rote - almost got it to a stage I could reasonably open mic it ... 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    CoolCat said:

If you hit any frustrations with your sheets, this guy usually nails stuff:
    https://youtu.be/wS_i91qxQYM
    Many thanks for this. It will be a great help.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Haven’t had the need to learn other peoples stuff for a long time as not playing bands, but recently have a desire so not to get to aimless. I’ve set myself two at the moment, both to really improve my soloing touch and feel as they are much more than the sum of their parts. One is Brothers in Arms, the other is the solo from Bryan Adams’, Everything I do… (not a big fan of the song but always loved Keith Scott’s solo). 

This is my attempt after learning the latter, I’ll record it again in a few weeks to see if I can improve it.

https://on.soundcloud.com/7A2HfzfZqQ37m38WA

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8858
    “Man, I Feel Like a Woman!” The violin licks work on guitar. I haven’t decided what to do about the pedal steel licks yet. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2280
    Tiger feet
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4179
    edited November 2022
    I'm having to learn Standing in the way of control by gossip girl for a project. It's appalling. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7846
    I've been photocopying and scanning a lot of my Mum's documents that I need to sort out some financial things for her. Among the funeral plan paperwork and her will I found a poem that she wrote in 1976.  It is a religious one and I'm sure she envisaged a modern hymn kind of tune while she was writing it.  I have been looking at the words and rhymes and trying to think of a suitable melody, because at some time within the next few years there is a probability that I will be reading a eulogy and it would be nice to play the poem as a song.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3355
    edited November 2022
    I've a bunch of stuff that I'm learning and relearning for a classic rock set but it's mainly perfecting parts and solos on the following and as I can't play slide guitar, mimicking that ala Jeff Beck/Lukather with a floating trem:-

Life in the Fast Lane & Hotel California - The Eagles
    Peg, Night by Night & Reelin' in the years - Steely Dan
    Carry on Wayward Son - Kansas
    Good Morning Judge - 10CC

Oh, and a few times a year, I always tune down to Eb and play all the way through Thin Lizzy's 'Live and Dangerous' and that keeps me on my toes
  • I’ve been revisiting some Stone Roses stuff. John Squire is one of my favourites. I noticed he was 60 the other day which freaked me out a bit!
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    slacker said:
    Tiger feet
    Less straight forward structure wise than one might first imagine.

• I’ve hardly played since Covid but thought I should try and play something. So Drag Racer (the BBC snooker theme). Not a huge amount to it but my timing gets out which annoys me. 

This one’s on my list of songs to learn too. There’s a cover on YouTube where the guy plays both guitar and bass and it’s impressive!
  • Switch625 said:
    I’ve hardly played since Covid but thought I should try and play something. So Drag Racer (the BBC snooker theme). Not a huge amount to it but my timing gets out which annoys me. 

This one’s on my list of songs to learn too. There’s a cover on YouTube where the guy plays both guitar and bass and it’s impressive!
    Yes I’ve seen that. There’s a short BBC documentary on there somewhere as well about the original, Doug Wood had a home multi track set up and recorded all the instruments himself on the original. He was playing guitar in bar bands and having this used as the snooker theme started his career in music production. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.