Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When people see your music collection...

What's Hot
What do they say?
- Holy crap dude that's a lot of CDs.

They begin to browse your shelves, boxes, racks (whatever you have)... what records do you get 'called out on' the most and what do they say? 
- Fall Out Boy greatest hits "they're shit!" 
- Avril Lavigne's second album "why the hell do you have this?!"
- KT Tunstall's first album "huhhhhh?"
- Various Hillsong, Passion, Kari Jobe, David Crowder etc etc etc CDs "what you go to Church? you play guitar and listen to metal - you can't go to Church!" 
- The entire back catalogue of Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Billy McLaughlin... "but that's so boring, there's no singing!" 
- The Fray's new album Helios "did not expect that!" 

What's yours? 
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10778
    "Why are there only two artists?"
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "So you like Led Zeppelin then".
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15897
    never really stopped to hear what they say, just get out a gun and scream "what are you doing in my house?".

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "You REALLY like John Martyn don't you?"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So what does Robyn Hitchcock sound like? :D
    Link to my trading feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73116
    Mostly they just laugh.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    For a while the response was "Huh? You've arranged your CDs by COLOUR!?!?"
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2042
    "That's a lot of Zappa you have there"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mart;357755" said:
    This is truly deviant behaviour!

The 'only' CD arrangement acceptable is alphabetically (by artist) - then chronologically (by release date) within each artist's section. Fact.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mart;357755" said:

The 'only' CD arrangement acceptable is alphabetically (by artist) - then chronologically (by release date) within each artist's section. Fact.
    WISDOM!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1597
    mart;357755" said:

I've always grouped my CDs loosely by genre for some reason
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23741
    mart;357755" said:

I did that until I ran out of space, now there are hundreds more in big piles all over the place.  I do roughly know where things are but I may not be able to actually get to them without a great deal of hassle.

Same with DVDs and then Blu-rays.  I've built shelves wherever there was a bit of blank wall space but I always outgrow them.

But anyway, back to the original question.... no-one actually gets to see my music collection.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73116

richardhomer said:

Alphabetically by artist and then alphabetically by title.

The real theological problem is whether to classify solo artists by surname or first name initial. The old-fashioned English student in me wants it to be by surname, but then how do you deal with anomalies like Madonna? (Other than by not having any Madonna albums.) iTunes also lists by initial unless you tell it otherwise, so I have gone for that across the board.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23741
    What do you do with remasters/deluxe editions?  Keep them all together or insert them next to the original versions of the same albums?
  • ICBM said:

richardhomer said:

Alphabetically by artist and then alphabetically by title.

The real theological problem is whether to classify solo artists by surname or first name initial. The old-fashioned English student in me wants it to be by surname, but then how do you deal with anomalies like Madonna? (Other than by not having any Madonna albums.) iTunes also lists by initial unless you tell it otherwise, so I have gone for that across the board.
    Wisdom. 

I hate that iTunes does it by first name... I don't want my Joes mixed in together (Joe Bonamassa, Joe Satriani, Joe Perry etc) -_- 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16082
    edited September 2014
    they say......"Christ that was due back on the 3rd Sept '13....and this one was due......."
    tae be or not tae be
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Wisdom. 

I hate that iTunes does it by first name... I don't want my Joes mixed in together (Joe Bonamassa, Joe Satriani, Joe Perry etc) -_- 
    Yup. The first thing I do when I rip a CD is change the sort artist, so it's alphabetic by surname, and the sort album name so it starts with the year and month of release, so iTunes sorts albums into chronological order.

And I'm glad that sorting CDs by colour achieves such universal respect. ;) I gave it up after a few weeks of my wife grumbling that she couldn't find anything. Couldn't understand her problem, but I gave in anyway, as you do.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15897
    I have no problems worrying about how to arrange my CDs, I just start at 1 and go in order to 88. Simples

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    I have friends who had a large record collection. The only problem was that he filed by Christian name, and she filed by surname.

They begin to browse your shelves, boxes, racks (whatever you have)... what do they say?
    "How many CDs have you got on your NAS? What format do you us?"
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Some people are surprised to see more Tudor church choral music than heavy metal in my record collection.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself