Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When people see your music collection...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Only instance I can think of was when I gave someone at work a lift. She thought my in car cd choices that day, about 50:50 reggae and country, were very odd indeed. It's not a great anecdote but gives me an excuse to play this
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited September 2014
    "You listen to metal? Isn't that all just sceaming or some shit?"
    I then try and explain an entire genre, before giving in and conceding that I like screamo too. 

I had one guy start doing an impression of self harm when he saw Bring me the horizon on my phone. I didnt like that. 
    I don't share my music with many people anymore xD 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    tFB Trader
    I file my CDs in cardboard boxes in my loft.

I must get around to selling them.... 
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    mart said:
    Wisdom. 

I hate that iTunes does it by first name... I don't want my Joes mixed in together (Joe Bonamassa, Joe Satriani, Joe Perry etc) -_- 
    Yup. The first thing I do when I rip a CD is change the sort artist, so it's alphabetic by surname, and the sort album name so it starts with the year and month of release, so iTunes sorts albums into chronological order.

And I'm glad that sorting CDs by colour achieves such universal respect. ;) I gave it up after a few weeks of my wife grumbling that she couldn't find anything. Couldn't understand her problem, but I gave in anyway, as you do.
    I might have considered colour, but at some point one label (possibly EMI) dominated everything I owned and invariably they all had red spines. In practice my filling system is 'cds that have sat in boxes since university', 'cds that are at my parent's home and have diffused throughout the various cd racks in the house', 'cds in drawers somewhere' and 'cds precariously balanced on top of other cds on available surfaces'. As for digital I got heavily involved in metadata at one point (there are various bits of the Ogg Vorbis metadata scheme I helped work out), and have some files which contain full production notes that I never look at. These days as long as it turns up in the library when I search for it I'm happy.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    For the first time in years, I have no music on display at all - it's all digital now, aside from my vinyl which is kept in closed cases.

This has the wonderful benefit of hiding all my musical faux pas from casual glances. :D

I do still get the occasional "Oh wow, you have a record player!  Can you put some vinyl on?" though, and then it all goes horribly wrong as the horrors of my collection are slowly revealed. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • MrsF does all her books by colour. Looks lovely but it's a complete pain to find anything when they're across 6 bookcases all over the house...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I don't have friends so no comments. In the old days people would say "wow, I cant believe how many records you have!". 

I probably have about 500 vinyl,  500 tapes, 1000 cds. Rough guess, it's not as if I count them! It's not that many really, but a lot more than most people.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15897
    we sometimes get comments about the number of CD's we have (and books, as in personal books not stock), I'm sure we have more than many people, but still doesn't seem that many to me, not when you think how much great music there is out there.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23741
    axisus said:
    I don't have friends so no comments. In the old days people would say "wow, I cant believe how many records you have!". 

I probably have about 500 vinyl,  500 tapes, 1000 cds. Rough guess, it's not as if I count them! It's not that many really, but a lot more than most people.

I'm at least double that (apart from the tapes), plus similar numbers of DVDs and Blu-rays.  And 30 years' worth of guitar magazines.

Am I strange?

• Honestly, I think a lot of my friends are just surprised that I have CDs.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I usually get "Who's Stevie Ray Vaughan and why have you got so many bootlegs?"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    "Why do you buy CDs, why not just download it?"

GRRRRRRR.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73116
    ^ wisdom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sigue Sigue Sputnik were vastly underrated.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5037
    WTF are they? (points to amplifiers) and Jaysus (points to cd collection).
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

*Direct quote from sister*

"Don't you have all the heavy metal ones?"

Me, laughs........ 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• What people? And wtf are they doing anywhere near the preciouses?!

• I used to have all of mine (well, CD albums, anyway) in an enormous rotating thing, held 500 CDs or something daft.

And then I filled that...and ran out of room...so they all got ripped to a 'music computer' and stored in my dad's loft :'(

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    What people? And wtf are they doing anywhere near the preciouses?!

The bad people.

They get to meet Vim and his, err, ways of dealing with people who get too close to the preciouses.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)