Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Money saving tips

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
edited September 2014 in Off Topic
So we looked at our financies... we can afford this house, but only just. Things wont be comfortable and I'll most likely have to give up the singing lessons I've been doing for half a year. They've been costing a fair bit - £200 a month if I do one hour lesson a week. Yikes...!!

I do enjoy them, but not 100% sure if I am getting the most benefit from them. I know I'm not doing enough off my own back, mainly due to shyness at home for going through practice routines and exercises, and also not wanting to disturbing my downstairs neighbour. It'll be better in the new flat once I have a purpose built room for my music (got some plans in the works there)

So I'm thinking I can cut back to maybe one every 2 weeks. Still £100 a month I need to find though. So I need to cut back on some other things. So ultimately... looking for tips on saving money. I guess it's probably obvious to some people, but I'm not used to having to look after my money. I'm used to just blowing it like an irresponsible teenager!!

After mortgage, bills, savings, transport, I'll have £480 a month to feed myself, pay for band and potentially singing lessons, and every other extra-curicular activities! So... it's not too bad, just needs properly thinking about and things prioritizing. But I'm pretty sure I cannot afford to keep up my current frequency of lessons.

I've killed my Netflix account. Keeping my Spotify account. Next April I will change my phone contract to a cheaper one. Trying to trim the fat basically.

(I really hate having to change my lifestyle... I hate change...)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27164
    edited September 2014
    It might come down to simple things - how much do you spend on coffee/lunch/etc while you're at work? Could you get a cheaper rehearsal venue? You may not even need to find as much as you think; do you know how much the utilities are going to cost in the new place?

Of course, there's another way to look at it; is there any way you can easily make more money without increasing the stress in your life? Perhaps a bit of mixing/mastering for bands on the side?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Where you buying?
  • If not already in place, get a water meter. Saving in London, especially for two of you can be huge. We're paying £200 p.a. now compared to £1,100 unmetered. Also, more cash flow than money saving, but pay standing orders to as many utility & similar suppliers as possible to avoid getting that nasty £500 gas bill in February. (Some providers give a discount for setting up direct debits which I don't do as the supplier then controls the payment. With standing orders, you can change it when you feel like).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17946
    tFB Trader
    Your singing lessons are quite expensive. 

Mine are £22 for 45 mins.
  • Your singing lessons are quite expensive. 

Mine are £22 for 45 mins.
    His singing teacher lives in London ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Insurance is a minefield where you can save or be overcharged if you don't shop around. Worth researching some savings.
  • London!? Don't do it right now... I still think prices are gonna fall. 
    Where I am you can get a 4 bed detached with conservatory and the lot for £180k. 
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Possible to walk to work? By walking to work instead of taking the bus I've saved a grand a year (and developed really nice thighs). It's 3 miles each way and takes about an hour which is funnily enough the same time it took the bus in rush hour traffic. I feel great for it too.
    All practice and no theory
  • One lesson every 2 weeks will still see you progress if you put the work in. That is what our vocalist does.

Besides that, do an audit on how much you spend on stuff like coffee, lunch, drinking, meals out etc, like DS has suggested. It adds up silently in the background.
  • Yeah the lunches and coffees can add up! 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Christmas and Birthday cullings are a good idea too. Used to spend fortunes, then woke up and realised fuck that.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Check these guys out .. no heavy sell .. City listed .. saved me a bomb .. https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10634
    Use a push bike for transport make your own work lunches, get a £10 a month phone deal, take your own beer to gigs, print your own birth wedding birth cards, cancel any subs for music, it's all free on YouTube anyway

Take dep gigs to earn more money, mix bands to earn more money, offer hire on any nice gear you own, there's a lot of hussling you can do to make money in the music biz
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Have you done all the stuff here (at v least the "pain free" bit)? Loads of stuff that's easy to do and saves lots if you're not already doing it.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3971
    I use utility warehouse for tv, internet, mobile, gas and electric and shop at aldi and lidl. Just doing this saves me loads of dosh.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28098
    Don't really want to add to the money woes but ... interest rates are bound to rise through the next 12 months.  If you're on a variable rate mortgage, that might hurt.  If you're on a fixed-rate mortgage, the pain will be delayed (until the fix ends) but it'll hurt even more.

Sorry.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Ditch the phone contract completely and go PAYG. So long as I top up £10 each month I get unlimited texts and 300 free minutes + web, so pointless having a costly contract.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Plan  your meals and shop for them once a week rather than going to the shops every other day
    Get shopping delivered so you're not tempted by offers. 
    Buy value brands.
    No booze
    Limit social life
    Get an electric blanket instead of using the heating overnight
    Take shorter showers
    Avoid using the oven
    Learn to love the taste of water over other drinks

Decide whether it's worth it compared to your current lifestyle
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • As a long-standing member of the 'property owning democracy' I have had two periods in my life when my mortgage was 'too' big. The first was when we moved to a fairly sizeable house after my ex-wife suffered a severe mental illness. The stress it put us - and our relationship - under, was immense.

The second was after we divorced and I felt I had to buy in the same area, to maintain consistency in our son's schooling. I spent much of the last six years in a job I hated, to enable me to over-pay, to give me the freedom to take a lower paid job, which I'm happier in. It has been emotionally and physically tough.

I really don't want to pour cold water on your plans @Drew_fx, but you are clearly one of life's free spirits. I'd urge you not to get trapped by a financial commitment that restricts you excessively. The 'freedom' of home ownership can become imprisoning....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    If you use a credit card....check you have the best cash back rates....Barclays have an Amex link with 1% and a standard with 0.5%. I try and do my internet shipping through Quidco, more cash back. Water meter definitely,

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview