Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gigging amps

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
edited September 2014 in Amps
Sure I commented on another discussion related to this but can't find it - so apologies!

The only amp I have is a Roland Cube 30 (power squeeze / headphone jack are awesome for playing at home) - it's great but I don't think it'd cut it when gigging, unless it's mic'd up. Add to that, if I'm playing a fancy PRS I want to play through a decent amp! But I'm so reluctant to spend lots of dosh on a big heavy amp I'd only use occasionally. So not for the first time (sorry again!) - what do you use? What's good for the money?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1203
    What style of music?
  • No surprise to anybody here, but I use a Jet City JCA50H (£229 new) and JCA24S 2x12" (£114 new). That's about as cheap as you're going to get for anything of quality. There's also the JCA22H (£193 new), but they're out of stock in the UK at the moment.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited September 2014
    It's largely 80s pop & rock (I love the rock - think ACDC/GNR etc).

Also interested what acoustic amps you may use...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Some sort of used Laney combo?
  • Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Gah! Apologies - if the mods are watching, maybe the threads can be merged? Sorry!
  • I would, but I can't remember how to do it. I'm sure one of the others will pop by soon enough... :)
    <space for hire>
  • No probs and thanks!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Peavey Bandit, preferably older US-made Transtube model. Tone, power, versatility, reliability and portability for around a hundred quid second hand.

Acoustic amp: DI box.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I'm using a little black star ht5 Thomss it' does the rock stuff really well and very cheap. they also do a 20 watt head as well if your not gonna be mic,ed
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • There is a harley benton 2x12 and amt stonehead on ebay cheap at the moment.

I'm desperately trying to not buy it.
  • Fender Supersonics are great in my opinion, The 60 watters are dirt cheap for what they are.

• Thanks all - not buying just now but just want to be aware of the options.
  • +1 to the Laney suggestion. A VC30 or LC30 can be picked up for much cheapness on the 2nd hand market. The LC has slightly more gain on tap than the VC, but both take pedals very well. I still gig my Laney from time to time for pub gigs, great amp for the money
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I've just bought a used Harley Benton G212 (NOT the one with V30s) used off here for 40 quid. Best money I have ever spent! Sounds absolutely massive, and is loud enough to make my ears ring with a 15w Orange Dark Terror head. 
    I'm considering saving up and getting the 412 version with V30's at somepoint. But for now, the 212 works great at bedroom levels too. They're about 100 new off thomann atm too, not much more if you want V30s either. 
    Head wise, you could go for a Micro Terror? 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • There is a harley benton 2x12 and amt stonehead on ebay cheap at the moment.

Damn you. So am I, now.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscream;358416" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

There is a harley benton 2x12 and amt stonehead on ebay cheap at the moment.

Damn you. So am I, now.
    It's a battle of wills.

I've pressed 'buy it now' twice, them bailed at confirmation. I can't afford it, but...

250 quid?! Sheesh!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    There is a harley benton 2x12 and amt stonehead on ebay cheap at the moment.

Damn you. So am I, now.
    Do it, then write a review!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3276
    edited September 2014
    used Laney vc30, for the money nothing can touch it. 210 or 112 flavours Although best to avoid early 112with hh invader speaker 'cos it's mounted too close to the tubes.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'