Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Derren Brown Infamous

What's Hot
LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
edited September 2014 in Off Topic
Anyone watch it?
Melon well and truly twisted. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    ********SPOILERS BELOW**********

Yeah fantastic, complete mind f##k when you try and comprehend how the number generated by adding together 2 randomly generated numbers match the phone number of a randomly selected audience member.
  • DEREK Brown.......?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ha ha ha bloody autocorrect!
  • I saw him live on this tour last year.  Audience of 1500 all walked out at the end shaking their heads in disbelief.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1350
    Derren Brown shows never disappoint.  For me, how he can actually do what he does is much more fascinating than it would be if he actually had some super-natural powers.
    Any skeptic has heard of cold-reading, but it still looks like he is plucking specifics out of the ether with almost no input at all from the participant.

I doubt the likes of that smug snivelling prick Colin Fry would even dare to watch it.
  • I saw that. So, with the gibralter/monkey thing, for example, does anybody know that he definitely doesn't have people feeding him the information? Is it 'genuine' cold-reading, and he is getting the answers from their reactions to what he says? Because if so then it's almost as impressive as if he was actually psychic.
    Use Your Brian
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    edited September 2014
    Saw this show at Hammersmith earlier in the year, really glad I finally got a chance to see him live. Thoroughly gobsmackingly great show apart from the girl sitting directly in front of us having some sort of seizure or fainting fit, which I'll admit probably wasn't Darrens ;) fault
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    I like him. My wife won't watch him at all. She say he breaks her mind and she can't comprehend his "voodoo" - I think it scares her.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw that. So, with the gibralter/monkey thing, for example, does anybody know that he definitely doesn't have people feeding him the information? Is it 'genuine' cold-reading, and he is getting the answers from their reactions to what he says? Because if so then it's almost as impressive as if he was actually psychic.

Detailed cold reading is pretty-much made up. There is no way that someone can glean enough from "tells" to formulate much.

This is not based on anything beyond what I consider to be obviousness. The simplest explanation is that he has an alternative mystical method of finding out about people. Like Google.

• I think it's a safe bet that many grandmas have been bitten by monkeys when on a day trip from Spain to Gibralter...

errr.... maybe....
  • I actually worked on the show earlier in the year, it was my job to pull up the cloth and reveal the seats as well as building and taking down the set.

Derren is a really nice guy, we actually watched Star Wars on the screen for his birthday eating birthday cake.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCat;359826" said:
    hungrymark said:

I saw that. So, with the gibralter/monkey thing, for example, does anybody know that he definitely doesn't have people feeding him the information? Is it 'genuine' cold-reading, and he is getting the answers from their reactions to what he says? Because if so then it's almost as impressive as if he was actually psychic.

Detailed cold reading is pretty-much made up. There is no way that someone can glean enough from "tells" to formulate much.This is not based on anything beyond what I consider to be obviousness. The simplest explanation is that he has an alternative mystical method of finding out about people. Like Google.
    Yeah, I've never really considered 'I don't understand how you can do it so it can't be true' to be reasonable but I agree that is not very likely ;-)

Does anybody have any evidence for our against this sort of cold reading, or insight into Brown's tricks?
    Use Your Brian
  • I've seen him live a few times.  My sister, who mistakenly believes she's psychic, doesn't like him, but I think he's genius.

Marlin
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207

I actually worked on the show earlier in the year, it was my job to pull up the cloth and reveal the seats as well as building and taking down the set.

Derren is a really nice guy, we actually watched Star Wars on the screen for his birthday eating birthday cake.

What's the secret then?
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:

I actually worked on the show earlier in the year, it was my job to pull up the cloth and reveal the seats as well as building and taking down the set.

What's the secret then?
    Making something overly complex seem very simple and easy. That and a large crew with 3 trucks loads of gear!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

watching it now, keeps saying there are no plants in the audience. Just got to the monkey bit - gobsmacking. :(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Didn't watch the show but seen him live twice, and was a part of the second show, which was great fun.

I had a big magic phase a couple of years back, in particular I obsessed over derren and sourced a couple of his very early books, as well as a lot of other mainstay texts on mentalism and the like, but it made me realise a trick is a trick is a trick - it's all in presentation, which is why I gave up on it (I would rather practice guitar in a mirror than magic!). On top of his amazing presentation and style, he's a wonderful person, a true gentleman and has the most amazing stage presence.

I met him back stage after the show and he had photos taken with everyone who waited, shook hands and made everyone feel like they were very important to him.

Bloody love him, in case you couldn't tell ;)

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I saw him a few years ago, caught a frisbee and buggered up his "trick" for laughs. Nobody laughed. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just found my thankyou from Derren.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just watched it. A bit less showy than some of his previous shows, but really good. I'd love to see him live.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires