Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Play My Pub Game...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10018
    I always forget about Jake Bugg, got really optimistic when I first heard his first couple of singles, and it's undoubtedly good stuff and great to see a young lad bashing out crashing guitar music, however I can't quite put my finger on why I find his music so dull. Went to see him around the time of the second album and I was so bored after about twenty mins.

It's a shame as I really should like him on paper. Maybe need to give him another go
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    I always forget about Jake Bugg, got really optimistic when I first heard his first couple of singles, and it's undoubtedly good stuff and great to see a young lad bashing out crashing guitar music, however I can't quite put my finger on why I find his music so dull. Went to see him around the time of the second album and I was so bored after about twenty mins.

It's a shame as I really should like him on paper. Maybe need to give him another go

He got forced into a second album too soon... old story... it wasn't great.

He did a song that got me back into him called "Love Hope and Misery" - just after I'd almost fucked up my marriage with shabby behaviour.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10018
    Yes the second album sounded to me like "right, let's do the same again but without the catchy bits"
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Yes the second album sounded to me like "right, let's do the same again but without the catchy bits"

Solid review of it I'd say.

I picked up his latest on vinyl, he's sort of gone early-90s-indie pop - worth a listen.

Still love "Broken" as well...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    darthed1981 said:

He got forced into a second album too soon... old story... it wasn't great.

He did a song that got me back into him called "Love Hope and Misery" - just after I'd almost fucked up my marriage with shabby behaviour.
    I like the second album - it's a bit rockier than the first and has slightly less obviously catchy vocal melodies, I think. The third one - with Love, Hope And Misery on - is great. I have a signed copy, woo hoo! :)

I also have a Patrick James Eggle Jake Bugg signature model parlour guitar...

Still love "Broken" as well...
    Broken is the song that introduced me to him - it still makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I like the second album - it's a bit rockier than the first and has slightly less obviously catchy vocal melodies, I think. The third one - with Love, Hope And Misery on - is great. I have a signed copy, woo hoo! :)

I also have a Patrick James Eggle Jake Bugg signature model parlour guitar...
    It's not bad - but strategically it was a bad call from his label I thought.

I think he's a very talented lad, and his recovery just shows that.

I agree with Noel G a bit that working with songwriters broke my heart a bit - because as a performer he's so powerful - but just big love to the guy.

I've been drinking sorry.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited January 2023
    TTBZ said:
    Not sure on the last 10 years. Wolf Alice is a good shout even though I don't like their latest at all. The first album was brilliant, second has some great stuff on it as well.
    See I find this interesting.

I think "Blue Weekend" is a fucking masterpiece, with both the debut and the second album brilliant but not quite as brilliant.

I'm also a little bit in love with Ellie, but  think it's hard not to be as a straight male fan of WA.

For me the first album has a great 90s alternative/grunge feel to it which they've sort of moved away from. I like a few songs from the later albums but I just prefer the older heavier stuff. I get this with a few bands, they mature their sound and experiment with different stuff, but in the process they lose that spark that made me love them in the first place. Like Arctic Monkeys, the latest album is complete and utter dross.
    TTBZ said:
    TTBZ said:
    Not sure on the last 10 years. Wolf Alice is a good shout even though I don't like their latest at all. The first album was brilliant, second has some great stuff on it as well.
    See I find this interesting.

I think "Blue Weekend" is a fucking masterpiece, with both the debut and the second album brilliant but not quite as brilliant.

I'm also a little bit in love with Ellie, but  think it's hard not to be as a straight male fan of WA.

For me the first album has a great 90s alternative/grunge feel to it which they've sort of moved away from. I like a few songs from the later albums but I just prefer the older heavier stuff. I get this with a few bands, they mature their sound and experiment with different stuff, but in the process they lose that spark that made me love them in the first place. Like Arctic Monkeys, the latest album is complete and utter dross.

Haha - I loved the new Monkeys one! :lol:

We will have to agree to disagree mate! :)