Fithy fretboard cleaning

What's Hot
I've got an old Ibanez Gio that has the filthiest fretboard I'v e ever encountered. The usual, lemon oil and various cleaners are getting nowhere. Its like caked grime that I'd really like to shift. Its sort of a rosewood of somekind (or a copy of).
Whats the best option for heavy duty cleansing? Shall I just get some very light sang paper (ive got some 800 and 1000 grit here somewhere) or a furniture scraper?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great question , it can be hard to clean , I’ve been recommended lighter fluid before 
      Lemon oil is more useful to condition it after cleaning. Lots use wire will but I would find that too messy with all those metal fibres that drop off . I wonder if a dish scourer is too harsh?

I didn’t find a toothbrush much use either and a credit card you would have to be careful not to dig in too much and mark the board. Interested to hear what people say as dark boards seem the worst to clean . Anyone use a razor blade ?it’s sufficiently thin to not damage the board 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 781
    Wipe the lemon oil on, leave it for 20 minutes to soften the crud before "scrubbing" with a microfibre cloth. Rinse. Repeat.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Scrape in the direction of the grain using a Stanley blade.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20600
    I have had success using single sided blades as scrapers, similar to these    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amtech-G0968-Scrapers-Painting-Decorating-Transparent/dp/B077SF4J3S/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=single+sided+blade&qid=1673372230&sr=8-2

Go gently & slowly though  ;)
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    edited January 2023
    BBQ lighter fluid + an old toothbrush (wear some safety glasses s#ro a covid spit shield)
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 474
    i'll get some blades and try that, if no joy then lighter fluid
    ta all
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    I cut an old credit card at 45 degrees and use that as a scraper, you can get the pointy corner right up to the frets with less chance of scratching up the board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Might be best to take the neck off, if you haven't already?
  • BodBod Frets: 1432
    Necks off already, one way or another it’s going to get clean  =)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    Sand blast it ? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2023
    I would probably try and soften it rather than scraping. Don't know how though 

Maybe heat? If not some sort of thinner.

And plenty of elbow. 
    if all else fails i'll scallop the bugger

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Genclean used to be handy stuff. Don't know if it's still the same or even still exists?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Scrape with a knife blade (parallel to the grain along the neck), then use ‘label remover’ spray - this is a very powerful organic solvent which will shift just about anything.

This will leave the board very dry and slightly rough, so you will need to buff it up with ultra fine wire wool or micro-mesh (across the grain), then re-oil with lemon oil or similar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    I cut down the bristles of a stiff toothbrush so they're stiffer still.
    I've cleaned some really nasty boards with this and mineral oil. 
    a vegetable scrubbing brush also works a treat. 
    You could try painting on some neat washing up liquid and leaving it for a while to see if it softens any. 
    its a little better now but bloody hell the previous owner must have been a sweaty filthy mess. Scrubbing brush is next

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader
    I use panel wipe mainly because I've got loads, it's naptha and other things in and isn't expensive. Not a million miles from lighter fluid probably. Had to clean one where the gack was so heavy half the markers had vanished :grimace: wished for a full hazmat suit. Wiped off easily enough though.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    Have you smelled the board?  Does it stink?  I've had one experience where a guy had read about "oiling" his fretboard but used cooking oil of some kind on the board.  The organic oil eventually goes gummy and sticky, rots, and smells putrid.