Fithy fretboard cleaning

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    edited January 2023
    I saw a YouTube video a year or so ago by a guitar tech (can’t remember who) who had managed to save (well, almost…) a Gibson ES-something, where the owner had used a “common household product” on the guitar - for years. And not only on the fretboard, he’d slathered it all over the body and headstock as well. The finish was wrinkled and rippled, I’m guessing from the product sinking into lacquer cracks. It looked like it had been dredged from a lake. Horrific.

The “common household product” was only revealed at the very end - it was olive oil!
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    edited January 2023
    Wow!  All over the body as well!  What a shame.  Now, had he used Filippo Berio extra Virgin olive oil, not only would he have had a guitar that would play "La donna è mobile" all by itself, but it would have restored the guitar almost to its prime, like it was being touched for the very first time.

P.S. I found the video referred to.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    That’s the one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Genclean used to be handy stuff. Don't know if it's still the same or even still exists?
    I've never encountered anyone who knew about Genklene. I recall it as an industrial degreaser used in the aerospace industry, at least that's where I know it from.

Apparently it isn't banned but is being phased out as it is an ozone depleting substance. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1-Trichloroethane

It was very effective stuff, and is like many effective things... Pretty nasty!

FWIW I wouldn't use it on wood, even if it was available. Gently cleaners and elbow grease are the way to go.

Cheers,

Neil

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    Elbow Grease cleaner might do it...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Petrogli said:
    Genclean used to be handy stuff. Don't know if it's still the same or even still exists?
    I've never encountered anyone who knew about Genklene. I recall it as an industrial degreaser used in the aerospace industry, at least that's where I know it from.
    When we made it at ICI Castner Kellner works the brand name was Triklone. 

• The “common household product” was only revealed at the very end - it was olive oil!
    If only they'd used butter...
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Petrogli said:
    Genclean used to be handy stuff. Don't know if it's still the same or even still exists?

Apparently it isn't banned but is being phased out as it is an ozone depleting substance. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1-Trichloroethane

It was very effective stuff, and is like many effective things... Pretty nasty!

FWIW I wouldn't use it on wood, even if it was available. Gently cleaners and elbow grease are the way to go.

Cheers,

Neil

I thought you meant Trichcloroethylene (Trike, TCE, Dry Cleaning Fluid) for a moment... thats really nasty stuff, and would probably melt the inlays!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• spev11spev11 Frets: 474
    Elbow grease won the day , well actually 3 days on a off (in between working on bikes)

• FFS, guys, I'm doing my best...
    <space for hire>
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom