SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

£20k to splurge, what’s the closest I can get to a ‘59 Burst

What's Hot

Comments

• Step into my office…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @matt1973 I don’t have any ‘50s Les Paul’s (aside from a ‘54 Jnr), but do have an early ‘68 LP Custom, ‘64 SG Standard, as well as an early ‘65, wide neck/nickel part Cherry ES335 with Bigsby 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2056
    Pics or I will consider them to be imaginary!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 171
    Really, really, I'd buy a 335 or a 345. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Many thanks to all for the comments :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10921
    @matt1973 I don’t have any ‘50s Les Paul’s (aside from a ‘54 Jnr), but do have an early ‘68 LP Custom, ‘64 SG Standard, as well as an early ‘65, wide neck/nickel part Cherry ES335 with Bigsby 
    Is there anywhere online I can perv at these?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I like both the ‘68 Goldtop and the ‘63 Les Paul/SG that ATB has 
  • If you don’t know what you’re buying, why on earth would you spend £20k? Utter madness. The vintage guitar market is a Ponzi scheme and these assets are illiquid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2321
    "I’d like the instrument to ascend in value."

Naturally, but I doubt there are any risk free investments in the guitar sector. Someone else would have bought then all already....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 459
    At that price you could always try my Gil Yaron replica that can’t be advertised here and get some change. 
  • SickSquidSickSquid Frets: 152
    For appreciating value, Tom Murphy Gibson Custom Shop work with his signature marking from before his own division was formed
    Better still, that with an artist connection
    eg Joe Walsh ‘60 replica aged by Tom, signed by Joe
  • MikeC said:
    At that price you could always try my Gil Yaron replica that can’t be advertised here and get some change. 

It’ll be interesting to see how these “replicas” (like Bravewoods) fare in the future. Not entirely sure they’ll keep their value. But will probably have some value as curios.
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 171
    A Joe Walsh replica is just a replica, it isn't an older vintage guitar such as an early 1960s Gibson, do you need an older vintage quality instrument or a lookalike? Vintage is vintage. Old wood, craftsmanship. There's a clue in there somewhere....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28387
    MikeC said:
    This was my other immediate thought. I remember Yaron's early build threads on TGP - absolutely phenomenal attention to detail.

Otherwise I agree with the ES-335 people - they're better than Les Paul for everything except standing in the mirror pretending to be Jimmy Page :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1350
    Just buy a s/h  Gibson R8  ,if you need to spend another £400 on a set of pick ups jobs a good'un and have a few holidays with the £16,000 saved ( or buy a custom shop fender tele or strat and you'll still have ££££££ss to spend).
    I think owning a 50s les paul has become a status symbol and the prices reflect that ...a good R8 with boutique pick ups and good wiring loom will be in the same ballpark as a 50s les paul

All the cork sniffers about wood drying out ,pick ups ageing,mojo etc  ..snake oil...
    I would love a blindfold test of a 50s les paul against a good R8 with a good set of pick ups fitted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2464
    It is wise - like the art world - to buy what you really like and will bring you joy. 

If it also appreciates in financial value great if not, you are getting the value of your investment. 

Here’s three of my examples. 

1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom. Bought it for 400 quid in the mid 80s now it’s worth 3-4k. In between I played the living hell out of it 

Couple of years ago I bought a 1965 SG special all original for 5k. It’s probably worth 5.5k today but in between I’ve been playing it loads and I don’t care if it appreciates it’s a great guitar. 

Late 90s bought a Gibson 335 dot reissue for 600 quid. Now worth about 3k. Played it loads and it’s a great guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Conversions are a pretty good option. Here's my 52/57 

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10921
    rze99 said:
    It is wise - like the art world - to buy what you really like and will bring you joy. 

If it also appreciates in financial value great if not, you are getting the value of your investment. 

Here’s three of my examples. 

1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom. Bought it for 400 quid in the mid 80s now it’s worth 3-4k. In between I played the living hell out of it 

Couple of years ago I bought a 1965 SG special all original for 5k. It’s probably worth 5.5k today but in between I’ve been playing it loads and I don’t care if it appreciates it’s a great guitar. 

Late 90s bought a Gibson 335 dot reissue for 600 quid. Now worth about 3k. Played it loads and it’s a great guitar. 
    This is wise. I had an opportunity to but an original Nocaster around 20 years ago for $NZ5.5k (~£3k) but it seemed an excessive amount of money to me at the time. Likewise a '56 Junior for £2k a decade or so ago

If you also factor in the money I spent flipping and being financially conservative in the meantime it begins to look like a comedy of errors. On the plus side I learnt a lot and it has kept me amused
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 117
    Terry Morgan? There's one on reverb for £20k.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom