Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jeff Beck- your favourite tracks/ vids/ moments- and maybe a place to start for the curious...

What's Hot
RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
A place to share- hopefully running in parallel to the tribute thread. 

Please use this space to talk about or post your favourite music by JB, gig memories etc. 

There's so much for existing fans to talk about, but I'm hoping also that people who haven't listened to much of his music before- or who only know the name- can use posts in this thread as a starting point.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• westwest Frets: 1006

x
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591
    edited January 2023
    i must have watched this about 100 times .. never fails to move me. Just a master in perfect control of his instrument playing with such passion and expression. 

I saw him live for the first time last year at the Albert Hall ... was a fantastic show and he did a few tricks I hadn't seen before. The guy was in his seventies and still coming up with new stuff, not just going through the motions like so many of his generation.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Danny, your video is broke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591
    Danny, your video is broke.
    Ah cheers, it was because I edited it but should work now 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1814
    There are loads of versions of him doing Nadia this one at north sea jazz stands out for me.

https://youtu.be/7rDTbBIOlNU
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    My vinyl journey began with Wired but, if you forced me to pick one album, it would probably be Guitar Shop.

I attended one of the 1990 Beck, Bozzio, Hymas tour concerts at the Hammersmith Odious and the 2010 Emotion And Commotion tour.

IMO, the Live At Ronnie Scott's video is a pretty good representation of latterday performances.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Danny1969 said:
    i must have watched this about 100 times .. never fails to move me. Just a master in perfect control of his instrument playing with such passion and expression. 

I saw him live for the first time last year at the Albert Hall ... was a fantastic show and he did a few tricks I hadn't seen before. The guy was in his seventies and still coming up with new stuff, not just going through the motions like so many of his generation.  
    The Ronnie Scott’s gig is phenomenal - Jeff Beck (into his 60’s by then) was at the absolute peak of his powers (when most of his peers had turned into parody’s of themselves), along with Tal on bass, Vinnie on drums, the special guests and the intimate setting (and sound quality), this is my desert island gig. 

I did see JB at the Albert Hall and also at Chelsea Hospital grounds, both times excellent. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 988
    I just listened to blow by blow, guitar shop and BBA back to back. 

Love them all.

If I had to pick a single track it would be she's a woman from blow by blow.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    Ronnie Scott's is the best I've seen him. The only concert DVD/bluray I have watched several times
    Possibly the best rock guitar performance I have ever seen

I saw him 3 times live, last time was sad because Johnny Depp fans spoiled a lot of the gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    Spent 5 mins today explaining what to listen to to a colleague who hadn't heard his stuff, but wanted to find out 
  • Reaching for something slightly off the beaten track (although would love to say 'Cause we've ended as lovers')...try this cameo on a well known Imogen Heap tune...Jeff comes in around 2'38 to the end:

Very processed but it's still Jeff Beck...well, I always liked it ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    edited January 2023
    From the Secret Policeman’s Ball, as I mentioned in the tribute thread:

https://youtu.be/-5o0xt-nowE

Music starts at around 2.00
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 318
    Awesome cover of Hendrix's Manic Depression with Seal on vocals. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    tFB Trader
    Hard to stay away from Blow by Blow, Wired and Guitar Workshop - For a pure masterclass in playing the guitar then the Live at Ronnie Scotts is pure theatre - It is the World Cup final, Champions League Final and FA Cup final in one show

For fun, then the Les Paul Rock n Roll party is great - Plus shows Jeff stepping out of his 'norm' to handle such songs as How High The Moon

Playing Flash again and There and Back you forget about some great tracks on these albums as I tend to play the above listings more - People Get Ready with Rod on vocals is a must listen track and a pity that they never did get together to do a whole album of such blues/soul covers - It was talked about but sad it never happened 

With so many options then how, or even why, can you pick just one great track from a career that lasted around 60 years 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    uksaint7 said:
    Awesome cover of Hendrix's Manic Depression with Seal on vocals. 
    This is great
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    edited January 2023 tFB Trader
    Not my fav moment of Jeff but interesting if you've not seen it before - With SRV when they toured the USA together in 1989 - I've seen various clips over the years of some of this tour and have to say that when they are on stage together playing blues based tracks that SRV blows Jeff out of the water - But more a contrast of styles and it suited SRV more 

Once you are on that youtube page you'll see other SRV + JB video clips on the usual right hand side 
  • This was my introduction to JB