AI generated music

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3401
edited January 2023 in Making Music
So I've been pretty amazed by some of the stuff that ai is producing in literature (poetry mainly) and art. Now I'm exploring music. This is ai generated....

https://jukebox.openai.com/?song=799444969

Not quite there yet  but the end is nigh!

Thoughts, comments, other links.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    It's obviously a lovely piece, but I can't agree with the concept of AI producing art in any form. Defeats the point for me 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2588
    tFB Trader
    Its another tool in the artists toolbox, once you have some music, go onto the chatbot to create some lyrics, compile and tweak to taste.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    I'll sure Bowie would have loved playing around with it and incorporating it into his own stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Modern music production has a curation element to it already with loops and sample libraries. AI can be another source of raw material but it'll never do the finished product as well as people can imo

I'm fascinated by the concept of generative AI. You could feed elements of your production into it and incorporate generative elements back in. I looked into it briefly but it seemed complicated to set up. It's niche compared to generating images so it hasn't been developed into a service yet to my knowledge. Maybe there's some potential there

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27141
    edited January 2023
    I find this all very interesting from a tech point of view but I don't have the words to explain how much I don't want a world where humans can spend more time working because now AI can make images and poems and songs so we don't have to. Because that will be the monetised endgame here. It always is.

The creation of art by a human being is the entire point of art. ESPECIALLY for music where you not only get to hear a record at home, but get to go and have a communal experience at a gig with potentially thousands of people all in the same moment while the crowd and artist feed off each other's energy. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I find this all very interesting from a tech point of view but I don't have the words to explain how much I don't want a world where humans can spend more time working because now AI can make images and poems and songs so we don't have to. Because that will be the monetised endgame here. It always is.

The creation of art by a human being is the entire point of art. ESPECIALLY for music where you not only get to hear a record at home, but get to go and have a communal experience at a gig with potentially thousands of people all in the same moment while the crowd and artist feed off each other's energy. 
    echo all of the above. I also find it a bit depressing tbh. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1520
    Does the AI gig too?
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• zedhexzedhex Frets: 191
    Yorkie said:
    Does the AI gig too?
    I believe they are developing a groupie version that does blow jobs

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3401
    What Nick Cave said.

Aka search 'Hi Ren' on YouTube 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Yorkie said:
    Does the AI gig too?

Well Ian Brown gigs to a backing track to save paying a band - not long before he gets a hologram to take his place as well.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27141
    Tenebrous said:
    Yorkie said:
    Does the AI gig too?

Well Ian Brown gigs to a backing track to save paying a band - not long before he gets a hologram to take his place as well.
    Presumably it would be an improvement in that specific case?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Tenebrous said:
    Yorkie said:
    Does the AI gig too?

Presumably it would be an improvement in that specific case?
    They could train the hologram to sing in tune

There will only ever be one hologram hero in my eyes...

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    Snap said:

echo all of the above. I also find it a bit depressing tbh. 

It's not going to stop humans making music too though, alongside and using ai as well. Just more ways to create and express. Nothing to get depressed about imo. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3401
    Tenebrous said:
    Yorkie said:
    Does the AI gig too?

Pah. Posh karaoke. He's off my list of bands to see.
  • Halls66Halls66 Frets: 24
    Probably the members of a guitar community/musicians are not the right target for this kind of things :) , but I'm pretty sure that in a few years many POP songs could actually come from AI models similar to this one and no one would be able to tell the difference.... The producer could put a 'human front' singing in playback to make people more comfortable, but in reality everything would be computer generated. I can see in other subject the human/AI divide is already nearly indistinguishable 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    I think it’s an interesting topic.

Definitely agree with the notion that it must be human expression to be proper art.

And yet, it could be no less moving to the listener all the same.
  • Does AI even actually exist yet?

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9584
    For me, music is ALL about soul and passion. 

AI is the antithesis of this.
    Cranky said:
    I think it’s an interesting topic.

Definitely agree with the notion that it must be human expression to be proper art.

And yet, it could be no less moving to the listener all the same.
    It is interesting, definitely. AI full stop is pretty darned fascinating especially as it moves into ethics and philosophy, asking questions of what is sentience etc. Love all that.

Which makes me ask, why do I think it's a bit sad to see it involved in creative arts? Maybe that is a personal prejudice. Worth thinking about!
  • It's just another tool to use, just like using the canned loops from Addictive Drums etc. The innovation comes from the way humans use it, not from the inception of the tool itself.
    Does AI even actually exist yet?
    Of course it does. I think the question you're asking is whether sentient AI exists, though...in which case, no. But it doesn't need to be sentient in order to be useful.
    <space for hire>