Push Push pots

What's Hot
Having had a second CTS push pull fail with the shaft coming straight out, I'm thinking of moving to push push pots. I've a recollection of Bourns being suggested. Does anyone know which specific models numbers I should be looking for? The failed one is a 250k log, but I'll also want 500k linear and log.

Cheers

Jeff
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Are they the CTS ones with the mini printed circuit board? The shafts come out of those but they go back in again 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Was looking at push/push the other day, Axesrus have alpha ones for quite cheap. Haven't tried them though

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Medium-Shaft-PushPush-Alpha-Pots-p/medpushpushalpha.htm

Or you can pay Megabucks
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    The shafts won't go back in on these two. The one that died today had been difficult to pull for a while and whilst removing the knob to lubricate it the shaft it came out and having eventually managed to refit won't reliably stay in. The first one that died the spring mechanism was impossible to put back together despite CTS kindly sending me an exploded diagram of how it should fit. I suspect it needs a jig and/or somone far more dextrous than me :)
    It's a pity as they're nice to use.
  • I've used the axesrus above. The pot works. The push push works. Job done.
    I am a fan of Axesrus in general 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    edited January 2023
    I've used the ones from AxeTec on a few guitars without issue.  They are unbranded but I believe they are Korean.  6mm 18 spline shafts, not the 24 spline "USA" spec.  They only now seem to stock 500K ones though, and I guess it's just because the vast majority of guitars employing switched pots are humbucker-equipped:
    Bear in mind that the knob is going to have to sit slightly higher off the body to allow space below it for the initial push down before it releases to the "out" position.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    As a general principle I prefer push-push to push-pull. They’re easier to switch in a hurry.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    As a general principle I prefer push-push to push-pull. They’re easier to switch in a hurry.
    I find it really cumbersome to pull the switch out while I'm holding a pick
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Roland said:
    Yeah same here. I guess the flaw with them is that they can be too easy to accidentally switch, but I still prefer that.

I think Axecaster has the Alpha ones too. One of them is metric and the other imperial... don't quote me on this as I may have it backwards, but I think the Axecaster ones are imperial and the Axesrus ones metric. I've used both and they're fine. 

I suspect the Bourns ones are nicer, but they're more expensive. I think WD/Armstrong Music has them.
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Having had a couple of push-on knobs loosen on push-pull switches, the idea of push-push appealed.

However, for me, the downside was that you can't tell at a glance which state it's in. Bottom line is that you have to risk playing at least one note in the wrong state.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    I'm not sure why anyone still uses push/pull. They're just objectively worse, especially with strat knobs. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Flip said:
    … for me, the downside was that you can't tell at a glance which state it's in. Bottom line is that you have to risk playing at least one note in the wrong state. 
    The tone knobs on my Yamaha SA are noticeably higher when the pickup is tapped.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    Yes, and you also have to ensure that there is a little bit of clearance between the underside of the knob when it is on the "in" position because it needs this clearance to allow for it to "unclick" and pop up.  I find it quite easy to see at a glance whether it is in or out / down or up, or however you think about the switching.
  • I'm not sure why anyone still uses push/pull. They're just objectively worse, especially with strat knobs. 
    Because CTS don't make them, and everyone knows you have to use CTS for the toanz?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    500k Bourns ones seem to be on very long lead times so I picked up a couple of the Alpha ones from Axecaster alongside a replacement CTS push pull in case I can't get on with the Alpha... half a feeling it'll clash with the wobble stick
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I could NEVER go back to push-pull. They are such a faff with strat knobs!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The only thing I don’t like about push-push in use is that they’re not quite as easy to go from up to down, because you have to positively push the knob down below the latch, which takes longer - with a push-pull you can just hit it with the side of your hand and it will pop down by itself.

But the worst thing about them is that they’re very easy to break if someone doesn’t realise that you must not try to pull them up, or especially try to get the knob off, from the down position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

normula1 said:
    500k Bourns ones seem to be on very long lead times so I picked up a couple of the Alpha ones from Axecaster alongside a replacement CTS push pull in case I can't get on with the Alpha... half a feeling it'll clash with the wobble stick
    Let us know how you get on with them please mate. I am still umming and ah-ing
    Well I fitted it an as I thought it totally blocked the trem arm, )with the CTS it just brushes the top of the knob) so I fiited a replacement CTS. The alpha latching mechanism seemed a little iffy as well even without a knob fitted... I'll try again in my Epi Les Paul which has push pull partial phase switch.

In good news though, I managed to strip the broken one down without the spring mechanism flying out so I now know exactly how it should fit in my other broken one :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4327
    edited February 2023