Cambridge folk/Vulcan

What's Hot
Apparantly the Vulcan is due to fly over Marshalls at 14-45 today........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ah was thinking more this tbh image

star trek convention or something :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Vulcan is a noisy bastard
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The Vulcan is a noisy bastard
    Good looking noisy bastard if you don't mind.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    You lucky bastard. Saw it and the two Lancs at Clacton Air show this summer. It was just as majestic and manoeuvrable and fantastic sounding as I remember from all those years ago.

• mike_l said:
    The Vulcan is a noisy bastard
    Good looking noisy bastard if you don't mind.
    It wasn't so good looking when it did several circuits over my previous house in the small hours of the morning a few years ago. Bastards. :x
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    ESBlonde said:
    You lucky bastard. Saw it and the two Lancs at Clacton Air show this summer. It was just as majestic and manoeuvrable and fantastic sounding as I remember from all those years ago.

Saw them at Gransden a few weeks ago. I was at Waddington a few years ago when she took off, fuck me the ground shook.

• Grew up in a village under the approach to RAF Scampton. You couldn't hear them coming but the house rattled as they went over.

The Americans hated it as during excercises in the early 60s the Vulcan was able to evade the US air defenses and virtually nuke a few major US cities.

Having grown up right under the flight path into RAF Alconbury, I've seen many different military aircraft types in the air.

The Vulcan has it's own special appeal that others (Including Phantoms, Buccaneers, B-52's etc) just don't quite have.

I'd go almost to the point of the only one close is/was the Victor or SR-71.....

• It has within the last few minutes flown over Bury St Edmunds

• Never seen an SR71 in flight - but I'd put Lightnings on the list. Take off from RAF Binbrook and pretty much up like a rocket!

I've seen SR71 display at Mildenhall, and flying into Alconbury. They were impressive, but not like in the same way as a Vulcan.

The Lightnings are also impressive, as a kid, I've been scared by them flying low, fast and loud.....

My own personnal favs though are Phantoms. Probably because they were based at Alconbury and I saw them a lot while growing up.....And with Wyton about a mile from home, Canberras and Nimrods too.......

• The joys of growing up in the East Midlands!
    And having a Dad who was an RAF pilot.........

• Hah - I'd have been green with envy at 13! Having said that my old man taught a lot of RAF crew at Lincoln college, managed to get to have a tour round the red arrows and Vulcan hangers. Got in the cockpit of the vulcan, tiny!

Dad was based at Wyton, by 9, I'd sat in/toured round Canberras, and Nimrod R1's........

Plus been to many open days/air shows with him.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It has within the last few minutes flown over Bury St Edmunds

I was keeping an ear out in case it came this way, but I think that answers my question :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• Loved all the V bombers but particularly the Vulcan.

American missile deals sounded their death knell with no equivalent replacements I read and saw years ago.

Maybe the Yanks were ticked off at how well they evaded their defences and helped make it redundant.

Ar least they were a truly independent nuclear deterrent.
  • I saw a Vulcan doing it's thing at Bournemouth this year.  It was a bit underwhelming actually.

I was expecting it to be a real groundshaker but it wasn't as loud as I remember the Phantoms or A10's being at the IAT a few years ago?  Still looks cool though, and I enjoyed the story about their role in the Falklands.

I enjoyed the Hawker Hunter and the Typhoon, though - they were loud and fast.
  • Think they're saving the engines - they don't fly it like they used to do!
    Yep much limited engine hours left......