Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Least Convincing Action Hero

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsql said:
    Steven Seagal..
    Fujj, my shih tzu, could chew him up and spit him out without breaking wind.
    Maybe now - but before the fat implant he was very handy, a very competent aikido-ka.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I still love his knife fighting :)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    equalsql said:
    Steven Seagal..
    Fujj, my shih tzu, could chew him up and spit him out without breaking wind.
    Correct. You've won the thread.

He's STILL an actor in action films - low budget straight to video releases, but he's still there... big fat walruss of punches
  • Philly_Q said:
    Although Nic Cage has made some truly terrible films, he's made a lot that I really enjoy.  I think he has a goofy, likeable quality that not many leading actors possess.  I also think he made a pretty decent action hero in Con Air.

Liam Neeson's recent career as an action hero is a complete mystery.  The Taken movies are pathetic.

in the days (10 years or so ago) when I did something resembling a proper job and worked with problematic drug misusers ( that's people stealing stuff to sell to buy heroin) we would do ice breakers at the beginning of sessions. Absolute number 1 answer to 'whats your favourite movie?' was Con Air. I guess things will have moved on since but mention of the film always makes me remember my little groups of heroin addicts. Terrible film though. :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Fretwired said:
    Roger Moore ...
    I think if you're watching Roger Moore as Bond and thinking he's not much of an "Action Hero" then you're watching it wrong :)
    It's analogous to saying that Sean Connery wasn't very witty when he played Bond.

Unless he's been in other stuff as an Action Hero?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Roger Moore was the Saint, in the Persuaders and was dire in a series of films including Ivanhoe, Shout at the Devil, The wild geese, Sea wolves and others ... I've seen trees with more acting ability and milk turns quicker than he does ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15916
    I think it's a mistake to regard Moore as an actor. It's more helpful to think of him as an overpaid prop who occasionally moves. I believe Tolkien was inspired to create the ents after watching a Roger Moore performance.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Roger Moore was the Saint, in the Persuaders and was dire in a series of films including Ivanhoe, Shout at the Devil, The wild geese, Sea wolves and others ... I've seen trees with more acting ability and milk turns quicker than he does ...

Now you mention it I remember him in Wild Geese (surrounded by a cast of talented actors).
    You may have a point....
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Ronaldo.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    frankus said:

As for Liam Neeson, I love his fight scenes in Taken (the rest of the film is a shit sack but that's the plot) - all knees and elbows and for a tall man in his 50s he is fricking fast - I'd say he's convincing. 

But if you compare that with District 13, also directed by Pierre Morel, they had to resort to tricks, like all that shakeycam/closeup/choppy editing nonsense, to make Neeson's action scenes convincing, unless my memory deceives me.

Whereas in District 13 you can actually tell what the bloody hell is going on.

• FazerFazer Frets: 472
    with tom cruise he's got action teeth and the dynamic energy of a midget (short levers, moving fast),
    nicolas cage is the most wooden actor of all time, but he can do handstand pressups and could probably punch through a wall if he had to,
    roger moore had the cars and the ladies, just needs a bit of gun shooting and he's good,
    liam neeson, well yeah ... but he does at least have a gravelly voice to threaten people with, and to say over and over to his daughter, "keep going, drive faster"

but with denzel washington i am at a complete loss to see what on earth he brings to the action party, he just sort of walks and stands around a bit.

• FazerFazer Frets: 472
    and a lot of the others have got automatic "bald man hardness" - denzel isnt even bald!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You've all forgotten Vin Diesel.
    The only good film he ever did was Pitch Black.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, but you can tell him, I'm not.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    I must have misunderstood the OP I was going to say "cycle repair man"

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    Bananaman. It's all a load of bollocks. Everyone knows spinach gives you super strength, not bananas.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15916
    thing is, you eat as much spinach as popeye did and you end up spending all your time trying to clean out from between your teeth. And how's that gonna pan out? You got 24 hours to defeat the terrorists and instead of spending your time in disused docks and light industrial units, your driving around looking for a late open hours place that sells dental floss.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• You'd probably spend your remaining time searching for the closest khazi.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Roger Moore and Tom Cruise take some beating. Roger Moore's punching in bond is epic in its shiteness.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Jason Statham?

Well, this proves I should wear my glasses more often.  And probably read the OP and not just the title.

I thought the title said 'last convincing action hero'... I quite like Statham films because they're old school action.

The least convincing are these guys.

that's cool…
    It never occurred to me that you can use Superior Drummer for martial arts sound effects..
    play every note as if it were your first