SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Withdrawn F/T - Fret King Stvdio Tele 2016 Custom Shop Hand Built

What's Hot
SammySammy Frets: 130
edited February 19 in Guitars £
This is my Fret King Stvdio Telecaster 2016 Custom Hand Built One Offs, not to be repeated, so are very rare.

These were not your normal run of the mill Fret Kings as the Stvdio guitars were all one off custom handbuilt, none were the same, built by Trevor Wilkinson and his master craftsman and there were only few ever made. As per below taken from JHS Website

"Rarer still, as literally only a few were made, are Fret-King® STVDIO Series™, which as the brochure of the day said were “Beyond exclusive, these unique atelier design exercises showcase the outside of the envelope of Fret-King’s capabilities. Created personally by Trev Wilkinson and his master builder Mike Smith, in Trev’s Southport workshop, these one-off instruments blur the boundaries between guitars and art with off-the-wall cosmetics, mind-blowing configurations, tonal capabilities that will make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, and playability to die for."

Only a few well known music shops had any of these to selI, one of which was the old Ivor Mariant's shop in London and I bought this new from them 2016. All the Stvdio guitars being custom guitars were over £2,000 with this one being £2,300. 

This guitar original came with a Wilkinson Special Humbucker and Seymour Duncan ST1-1b Vintage Broadcaster bridge pickup which I changed for a Seymour Duncan Brad Paisley pickup late 2021, as although the guitar sounded really good on front and middle positions, for me, I did find the original bridge quite ice picky by itself, so after almost 6 years I decided to change it, after getting some advice from Seymour Duncan themselves, who were very helpful.
 Then in early 2022 I decided to also buy the Brad Paisley Single Coil Neck pickup. So rather than get  just the pickup, I managed to source another almost identical pickguard in same tortoise shell colour with a single coil cut out. This is currently on the guitar, so you can swap pickguards over if you want a change to a humbucker. When swapped over to the other pickguard, the humbucker can also be split into a single coil, as the guitar was fitted as a pull switch on the tone control. So you now have the choice of the usual Telecaster single coils, or can change to Humbucker neck, with single coil bridge.
This is an absolutely great guitar, with a really lovely easy neck to play and has a great sound with either set of pickups. It also comes with the Fret King Hiscox Case, which were only supplied with the top models. I have had many Telecasters over the years and in fact owned about 15 at one time, a bit excessive I know, but apart from the only other Telecaster I now currently own, which was built for me by a well known Luthier & friend, the Fret King is probably the best Telecaster I have previously ever had. 

The only reason for now moving this on, is I suffer from back/neck problems, which has got a bit worse as time goes on and whilst this is still quite light at about 7.8lbs, I really need something just a bit lighter 7lbs or less, when we do play out, which isn't that often now. 

There was an original brochure that showed all the Stvdio models incl prices, including mine, but unfortunately it can't be found now on the web. Though I did contact JHS and whilst they were unable to locate it either in their archives, they managed to find some details of my actual guitar after I sent them a photo of it, which they sent me along with a picture of it.

Some of the details described as below
Once Piece maple Neck along with 22 frets, alongside a deliciously comfortable 60's 'C' Profile.The neck utilises a 10" fingerboard radius to facilicate easier string bending, with a slinky, fast playing action.By utilising an original spec small diameter truss rod, there is a much greater ratio of wood to metal, all contributing to keeping the vintage tone you would expect from this guitar
SpecificationBody: Swamp Ash with distressed vintage white finishNeck/Fingerboard: 22 fret maple neck with vintage fret wirePickups & Controls: Alnico V single coil bridge pickup and distressed neck humbuckerPickguard/Hardware: Aged lacquaered tortoiseshell, Distressed hardware.

This is honestly a fabulous guitar and I don't think anyone would be disappointed once they have played and tried it, way better than any actual F..... I have had or tried! Plus it's the only Telecaster I have ever been able to use 10's on rather than 009's, as it's so easy action to play. 

I am looking to either swap for a similar value Telecaster or willing to trade up or down accordingly cash either way, if it's the right guitar, sounds good and plays well. Must, obviously be lighter weight, preferabaly have a maple neck and with a C profile type neck not skinny or too chunky.

Collection Only will not Post, as per any of my previous guitars/amps sold on here. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SammySammy Frets: 130
    edited September 2023
    Sorry having to do two pics at a time as otherwise they won't seem to load up!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2023
    @ Kennedydream 1980, Not really sure why you have re-posted another pic of my first photo!
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1377
    It's to avoid people having to click into the imgur links - help you get more eyes on the guitar you're selling!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Okay thanks, can only presume he went on imgur to get a larger pic!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1377
    I believe he just used your URL and embedded it with the little picture of a document in the toolbar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep I just used the existing picture from the Imgur link.
    edited February 2023
    Someone asked, so just to confirm, please don't confuse with the previous Fret Kings Country Squire, all the Stvdio guitars were one off handbuilt models and completely differ and were in another league to any of the standard models, including their top range models.
    The Fretkings, were really good guitars in their own right, though can't actually say what they are like now, since Trevor Wilkinson moved on, as have never played/tried any Fretking since!  Before I bought my Stvdio, I originally bought the Fret King J  Etheridge semi acoustic model, which was really excellent and only sold it later on, due to the wider fingerboard, which I couldn't quite get use to.
    With the Stvdio models, you just have to play one, to feel and hear the difference from any of their normal range, theres just no comparison. B
    Recently put this up on fleabay, with the option for p/ex etc as I had on here. Had quite a few interested in a p/ex of some sort, but unfortunately ebay took it off after a couple of days, so was unable to contact anyone interested, advising me that I was breaking ebay rules by offering p/ex, even though I had clearly stated that ebay fees would be paid on full amount of my guitar, if any p/ex was agreed. They said as I may have not known this, that I wouldn't be banned for now and it would just be a warning!

Anyany no such thing on here, so anyone interested in offering me a lighter Telecaster guitar, as per requirements, with cash either way! ;)

edited April 2023
    Have had some offers of P/Ex but nothing that is suitable for my needs!

edited August 2023
    WHY?
    Had interest from North of the border but as mentioned previously, sorry won't post!
    So as I have done previously on some other guitars have sold in the past, would be willing to meet up in London near Tube Station, if coming down from Midlands, North etc! :) &/or would be open to meet somewhere not too far for Southerners who get travel sickness ;)

Come on there must be some Southerners who I'm sure would love this, if they just tried it! As good as any Fender and at a great price for a custom handbuilt model.

edited August 2023
    Any really lightweight Telecaster!
    edited August 2023
    Still looking as currently don't have any lightweight electric guitar to play out, as my latest addition was a 335 type guitar, which is too heavy to take out but I just had to have it from my friend, so just indoors use only!

So someone must have a lightweight Tele they want to change, for a fantastic Custom Shop model that has both the Tele traditional plus Brad Paisley Sound and the Tele Custom sound with the interchangeable humbucker pickguard! 
    edited September 2023
    So someone must have a nice lighter weight Telecaster please they would be interested in doing a P/Ex for a really lovely Hand Built Fret King One, which is still considered lightweight?
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    Looks a tasty Tele. I would strongly consider a Thinline for the lightweight, should be easier to find a trade with too.  :)
    edited May 2023
    Looks a tasty Tele. I would strongly consider a Thinline for the lightweight, should be easier to find a trade with too. 

Your right, it really is and someone would get a great guitar but cant' find anyone with something lighter, only same or heavier! s    Would consider a Thinline if it sounded good and played well, but no one has offered one yet! B)
    Still looking for a trade, as nothing suitable yet! :'(