Is Supertramp an underrated band?

What's Hot
Having grown up thinking the Breakfast in America album cover the coolest thing in the world (next to Rush’s Roll the Bones) I realised that it’s a band name that very seldom comes up in casual conversation when discussing rock bands of the late 60s and 70s. 

Is this your experience too or are they well known in your circles?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5603
    I don't think they were ever 'cool', but I've always liked their famous stuff. I've even covered The Logical Song in the past. Admittedly, I don't know the rest of their stuff and have never listened to one of their albums. I might have to rectify that!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Very biased against them - lived next door to a piss atrtist who played Side 1 of their greatest hits at max volume when he got back from the pub until he passed out.

In fact still triggered when I hear them
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5648
    Rock 'n roll? Nope.
    Cool? Nope.
    Good musicians? Yep.
    Good songs? Yep. 
    Worth listening to? Too right.

The trouble with Supertramp is that they never quite worked out whether they were an actual band or just a name for Roger Hodgson's backing band. For a few years there they were all contributing and the results were fantastic - greater than the sum of the parts - but it didn't last. 

At their peak: fantastic. Underrated to buggery.
    There rest of the time: still worth seeing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    Definitely not underrated. They had huge success at the time and many of their albums are regarded as classics.
    My fave was Crime Of The Century.  The track 'School' is, IMHO, a masterpiece..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Still listen to my vinyl albums, and have a few Roger Hodgson solo albums too.
  • I find them absolutely unlistenable, to be frank, but fill your boots.

• I find them absolutely unlistenable, to be frank, but fill your boots.
    This! No judgement but a lot of "meh" from my direction 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    No - they're OK for a listen every few years or so.
  • They're a radio band for me - enjoy the songs when they come on the radio, but I'll never chuck them on Spotify or buy a CD
  • I liked their songs, hated the singer.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2038
    Love them. Great arrangements, great keyboard sounds, great lyrics. 

Can understand anyone who is apathetic, but they would be right up there for me in terms of great 70s bands. The Live in Paris album is superb. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3900
    Haven’t listened to them in ages but Crime of the Century and Crisis, What Crisis? we’re great albums. I thought Breakfast in America went to pop, but at that age I was generally dismissive of anything that got radio play. 

Compared to their contemporaries like Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd they weren’t as interesting to me and only released a handful of albums which may explain their relative lack of success. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    I could never stand the vocals. High-pitched nasal whining just doesn't do it for me. 
  • I like the hits but whenever I’ve tried beyond that it’s dreary prog. Someone on here,IIRC, was in a Supertramp tribute band, they may be along in a while to explain how wrong I am :anguished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    I've always thought of them as a big band because there were pretty big in the days when I spent much of my time in record shops looking at album covers.  But perhaps they've been rather forgotten in subsequent decades... I've never really heard much of their material, although my brother had a couple of the albums, so I don't know how good they were at their best.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 122
    Crime of the Century has some great songs, and to most they’re a useful reference point to what a Wurlitzer ep200 piano sounds like……many others of course.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3188
    The Concert for Diana was boring, boring, boring until Roger Hodgson awoke the quietly snoozing crowd, even turning Harry, William and Co from wondering who this old hippy was and getting them up singing a long

He did the medley first and then gave the performance of the day with 'It's A Little Bit'.

They were never cool, and underrated for sure. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    I always hated them back in the day, mostly because of the vocals, but after seeing the film Magnolia which has a couple of their songs on the soundtrack I realised I should maybe give them the benefit of the doubt again. I've only got Crime Of The Century and Breakfast In America, but both are quite decent and I like them in a nostalgic sort of way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    I’m not a huge fan… I like bits and pieces.  But it has to be said that Crime Of The Century is one of the most beautifully recorded albums I’ve ever heard.   Incredible to think it was made in ‘74. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24866
    I saw a rough sleeper in Manchester busking The Ligical Song.

I said, “Supertramp”.

He said, “Thank you very much!”