Is Supertramp an underrated band?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2436
    Definitely under-rated, and a lot weirder and more experimental than their reputation would suggest. And yes their later albums are beautifully produced and recorded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4307
    Excellent band,writers & musicians . 3 eras to me  the early 70s dreamer
      the late 70s most significant  and the 1981 82 ish resurgence  (raining again) breakfast I. Americas great ,had it on vinyl for years 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Supertramp have done some totally jaw-dropping material. Proper musical genius.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12459
    Over 32 million records sales so probably not.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5648
    32 million? Pfft! Flash in the pan. 
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    edited March 2023
    Over 32 million records sales so probably not.
    Certainly they have been popular but, irrespective of their past album sales, I agree with the idea that they are currently probably a bit underrated. They are less talked about nowadays when compared with other bands from the same era and I imagine their back catalogue has fewer sales today than other comparable 70s soft-rock bands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    edited March 2023
    I find them absolutely unlistenable, to be frank, but fill your boots.
    In the late 90s I worked with a bloke who was about 10 years older than me, so would be mid-60s now. He told me how he was into rock and metal in the 70s, and how him and some mates had bought tickets to a Mystery Gig. Did anyone else do this? (And anyone else ever go on a Mystery Day Trip? We went to Hull! For the day, from Swansea. It's a long way...) I'd never heard of Mystery Gigs, but they were very excited until the curtain rolled back and the singer stepped up.... 'DREAMER!' 

Even now, 25 years later, I still laugh at how disgusted he was even though over 20 years had passed since that Mystery Gig. I maintain my dislike of Supertramp in loyalty to Graham the rocker. :D 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 792
    edited March 2023
    I have original Even In the Quietest Moments on vinyl. Also thought I had Breakfast In America but that seems to have gone walkies atm. Really rate Supertramp tbh - from the perspective of a 1970's educated ear. Not much guitary stuff though - mainly keyboards, with melodies being carried by the great vocals of Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies.

Best thing about Supertramp is it's next to T. Rex in my meticulously/neurotically alphabetically arranged LP collection. Sitting next to Electric Warrior for several decades will improve any LP! 

Would thoroughly recommend all 3 LP's.  And no Rap in any of them!! :-)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    I've always enjoyed playing Give A Little Bit, some nice changes and open string chords.