Crumpets

What's Hot

Comments

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 945
    Firstly, I assume you're not referring to Scottish crumpets ... they're bigger, flatter and sweeter and lend themselves perfectly to being eaten cold ... buttered and with jam and a builders brew in the afternoon.

The savoury crumpets to which you refer, I would toast and butter whilst hot. Generally, two of those with a brew and you're sorted.

Alternatively, just spread jam or conserve on them instead of butter for a sugar rush.

One I haven't yet tried but plan to is crispy, streaky, smoked bacon smothered with maple syrup and sandwiched between two unbuttered toasted crumpets. I normally do this with bagels or muffins and they're fantastic.

FFS I'm Hank Marvin now ... and salivating :anguished: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1120
    stufisher said:
    Firstly, I assume you're not referring to Scottish crumpets ... they're bigger, flatter and sweeter and lend themselves perfectly to being eaten cold ... buttered and with jam and a builders brew in the afternoon.

The savoury crumpets to which you refer, I would toast and butter whilst hot. Generally, two of those with a brew and you're sorted.

Alternatively, just spread jam or conserve on them instead of butter for a sugar rush.

One I haven't yet tried but plan to is crispy, streaky, smoked bacon smothered with maple syrup and sandwiched between two unbuttered toasted crumpets. I normally do this with bagels or muffins and they're fantastic.

FFS I'm Hank Marvin now ... and salivating :anguished: 

Crumpets should never be un-buttered if you're having jam/whatever else on them. It's the law!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1449
    Butter AND a nice chunky marmalade 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3124
    edited March 2023
    WezV said:
    Cheese & Marmite!
    That would be epically foul.
    I light smear of marmite, then cheese piled on and grilled.... then add beans.   Chefs kiss!
    You can smell Marmite on the wind in B-O-T!

It's butter for me - a proper treat in these healthy spread times.

My dad calls them pikelets for some reason which in his Brummie accent sounds funny. Poikelitts!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12770
    My bro in law brought some of his golfing buddies over here from the US last summer and they stayed with us while they played at Sandwich, Leeds Castle and a couple of other courses. Three of the four of them had never been to the U.K. before so we introduced them to fish and chips, curry, proper sausages and decent bacon etc. The major hit though was the crumpet, they loved them. One of them misheard and christened them Grommits, and they’ve stayed as grommits in our house ever since. 

Likewise my mum has always called croissants “croisettes” although I’ve no idea why. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10288
    edited March 2023
    WezV said:
    Cheese & Marmite!
    That would be epically foul.
    I light smear of marmite, then cheese piled on and grilled.... then add beans.   Chefs kiss!
    You can smell Marmite on the wind in B-O-T!

It's butter for me - a proper treat in these healthy spread times.

My dad calls them pikelets for some reason which in his Brummie accent sounds funny. Poikelitts!
    I think, but could be wrong, that pikelets are actually the thinner version of a crumpet, thickness similar to a scotch pancake but texture very much in the crumpet style.

That could be what stufisher is taking about a few posts above, the thinner "Scottish" crumpets?
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4977
    Having just had a Lister* for lunch, I'm thinking it would work well as a crumpet topping.

*Fried egg butty with chilli sauce and chutney; it's a state-of-the-art sarnie.   :)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3847
    Ardennes paté or similar. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24884
    All this talk of butter is making me feel sick.  I hate butter.  Especially melted butter.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nobody else calls them pikelets, then?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    My stepmother used to.  Yorkshire thing, is it?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Philly_Q said:
    usedtobe said:
    Yeah - a Yorkshire thing..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• KittKitt Frets: 11
    Nothing wrong with an ample quantity of melted butter IMHO. 

Nothing beats the combo of melted cheese and butter though!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12211
    usedtobe said:
    Philly_Q said:
    usedtobe said:
    West Mids thing I thought, although I think pikelets there are thinner
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12211
    Kilgore said:
    munckee said:
    The problem is the crumpet, rubbery crap.  Start with a toasted muffin add poached egg and maybe pancetta and hollandaise sauce.  
    Is your muffin buttered? Would you like us to assign someone to butter your muffin?
    Excuse me?   ;)
    I don't think any remaining forumites possess a muffin
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29852
    boogieman said:

Likewise my mum has always called croissants “croisettes” although I’ve no idea why. 
    I went through a period of calling them "crussunts" specifically to annoy someone who was insistent on saying it with a French accent. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28373
    Marge only for me. Plus I have to cremate the thing first. I don't like them squidgy at all I like them firm like mens buttocks. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    usedtobe said:
    completely different to crumpets.

Crumpets are about 1/2 to 3/4"  thick,   Pikelets are thin like a scotch pancake/drop scone 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited March 2023
    usedtobe said:
    Philly_Q said:
    usedtobe said:
    West Mids thing I thought, although I think pikelets there are thinner
    I said Yorkshire because my stepmother was originally from Hull, no doubt they say pikelet in other parts of the country too!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2491
    This is my fancy way of having crumpets

1.Toast crumpets properly so they’re slightly brown and hard on the outside. Any less and they don’t taste too good.
    2. While toasting, gently fry off some finely chopped garlic and scramble in some egg. Cook slowly so it’s fluffy and moist.
    3. Butter crumpets generously and place a slice of cheddar on each.
    4. Add the scrambled egg over the crumpets so it melts the cheese. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
    5. Enjoy crumpets like never before.

This works particularly well with those giant crumpets. Deffo cooking this this week now!