Fenland

What's Hot
Not a bad part of the country reminds me a bit of parts of France with the miles of flat open farmland.
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't miss next week when A_G will be visiting Grimsby.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I live on the edge of Fenland. I find the stark flatness to be quite mesmerising.

The people are a bit odd though.

Good to hear that others like it too.
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited September 2014
    I'd give it a go, people should donate money or train tickets for me to explore the UK :-)
    Old Is Gold
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6263
    edited September 2014
    I used to work for BT out of Peterborough, and did a lot of work out in the Fens.
    I always found it to be an almost haunting landscape.

The soil is so rich that when the fields are being ploughed it looks like liquorice..
    I never got bored driving through it as it has an almost mystical feel.

The inhabitants can be an odd lot though, I remember being in a tobacconists in Wisbech and a local walking in with quite literally a halo of flies buzzing around her greasy matted bonce. Boy was she  'ripe'. It was almost like a scene out of 'League Of Gentlemen''.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bogtrotters
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    equalsql said:
    The inhabitants can be an odd lot though, I remember being in a tobacconists in Wisbeach and a local walking in with quite literally a halo of flies buzzing around her greasy matted bonce. Boy was she  'ripe'. It was almost like a scene out of 'League Of Gentlemen''.
    The problem there is, you were in Wisbech......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was over near March
    Old Is Gold

And you didn't call in for a brew on your way past......

Disappointed

(March isn't a long way from me.....)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Oh I had no idea you lived around that way. I was actually in parson drove to be more specific, I was helping my friends dad move in there.
    Old Is Gold
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15916
    . I was actually in parson drove to be more specific, I was helping my friends dad move in there.

lol, f'narr, f'narr.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• It's not terrible, but you do have to make an effort to hide your reaction when you notice the webbing between the inhabitants' fingers...
    <space for hire>
    round here the inbreds don't have webbed digits, but you can spot them cos not one of them are over 5 foot tall. Oh, and they all get really huffy when you post the dog shit they kindly left on your driveway back through their letter box.

• back to the OP,

I too very much like the open countryside around there, but have never wanted to live there because the place is dependent on being pumped out. There is also the drainage which helps, but most of those cute little dutch windmills that the dutch drainers installed a couple of hundred years ago have been replaced by lekky powered pumping stations, so its only a matter of time before you get flooded if the lekky goes off. If sea levels continue to rise, the fens will have had it. Enjoy while you can.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • VimFuego said:
    round here the inbreds don't have webbed digits, but you can spot them cos not one of them are over 5 foot tall. Oh, and they all get really huffy when you post the dog shit they kindly left on your driveway back through their letter box.
    Do they also have Hobbit-style feet?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    A Spanish council actually paid people to post dogshit to all of the errant villagers who let their mutts shit on the street.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2957

I love it here I do. Best sunsets around, the constant faint smell of shit everywhere... heaven.

VimFuego said:
    round here the inbreds don't have webbed digits, but you can spot them cos not one of them are over 5 foot tall.

Worry when they start playing banjo's

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    The view across the road from my house. Lived here on the southern edge of the fens for 12 years, love it.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n498/bigjon1684/Field.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mike_l said:
    VimFuego said:
    round here the inbreds don't have webbed digits, but you can spot them cos not one of them are over 5 foot tall.

Worry when they start playing banjo's

we likes our squeeze boxes round these parts.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748

I live on the edge of Fenland. I find the stark flatness to be quite mesmerising.
    Yes, that one. I took up distance running while I lived in Cambridge, I like hills, coasts, mountains, woodlands, but there's nothing quite like running or cycling across that expanse.
    Also anyone who lives out that way should read this http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/w-+g-+sebald/michael+hulse/the+rings+of+saturn/4594234/