Fender Super Champ XD / X2 - potential purchase questions

What's Hot

Comments

• wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 269
    Another question on these models, if you carry out a factory reset of the dsp, what happens to speaker emulation, is it on or off when playing through the amps own speaker. It appears there is no software available to do this, so using one of these for gigging purposes might not work ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another question on these models, if you carry out a factory reset of the dsp, what happens to speaker emulation, is it on or off when playing through the amps own speaker. It appears there is no software available to do this, so using one of these for gigging purposes might not work ?
    Fender discontinued support for the FUSE software and to me it matters not a jot. I have no desire to to tinker with the factory settings. I just dialled in a clean and an overdriven sound that I liked,  took my amp to a gig and played. 

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1546
    edited January 5
    Has anyone tried to boost the preamp into overdrive on channel 1 on these things? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Dominic said:
    best upgrade is the Ragin Cajun..................makes a huge difference
    Hi Dominic, did this make much difference to the output volume, I’m seriously considering doing this to mine ?
    So I got myself a Super Champ XD. I’ve had it for 4 days. I know it has fifteen other voices, but we’re still stuck on strat into black panel ‘on edge’ and a touch of spring reverb. Having the same logo on guitar and amp seems to have unlocked some kind of magic I was unaware of. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12505
    If same voices as a scx2 then 5 is Princeton and 7 is BF deluxe and I think 2 is tweed deluxe. 

I find the Princeton setting
    slightly better than the first channel. 
    edited January 24
    This is slightly different, the manual says ‘overdriven early blackface voice’ with no mention of amp model. 

As I said, I guess at some point I will have to try the other ones… but at the moment am more tempted to sellotape the knobs where they are! 

What a nice little amp to have. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12505
    Now stick a Jensen pr10 in it to take it to the next level.  
    munckee said:
    Now stick a Jensen pr10 in it to take it to the next level.  
    I’m not going down that rabbit hole anytime soon. It’s perfectly fine at recording levels as it is right now. 

• BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    Yorkie said:
    So I got myself a Super Champ XD. I’ve had it for 4 days. I know it has fifteen other voices, but we’re still stuck on strat into black panel ‘on edge’ and a touch of spring reverb. Having the same logo on guitar and amp seems to have unlocked some kind of magic I was unaware of. 
    I've had one for, I'm guessing, something like 15 years.

Would definitely say that they suit Fenders and single-coils a bit better than Gibsons and humbuckers as the voicing is quite midrange heavy and the gain levels are quite serious on some of the models (IIRC the AC30 model is way too distorted to get anything approaching a clean-ish sound with humbuckers).

I still think that the first channel (which I've read is itself a model of some sort) and the first few channel 2 models (the blackface and tweed) are where it's at. Odd moments of fun elsewhere but, as you seem to have found out, some of those first models are excellent and you can just pick a favourite and run with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bought it to try and see if I would possibly like to get a ‘proper’ Fender in the long run. But, who knows, this one might be proper enough? At least at recording volume it’s a very well behaved box. 

I've tried the "tweed champ" voice. WTF? this thing is amazing. 

On my XD the favourites are 1,2&5, plus the clean channel, I’m stunned at how good these things are, in the past couple of weeks gigged twice, plus a jam with some mates.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1014

“These are based on the SCXD which has this Amp Modeling List

1 Tweed Champ
    2 Tweed Bassman
    3 Tweed Deluxe
    4 Blackface Clean (Twin)
    5 Blackface overdrive
    6 Blackface Deluxe OD (SRV)
    7 Vox AC
    8 Marshall Plexi
    9 Marshall Modern
    10 Hot Rod Blues Junior
    11 Hot Rod Disto Boutique
    12 Hot Rod Sustain
    13 Metal Hi gain
    14 Metal Hi gain sustain
    15 Fender Jazz King
    16 Acoustasonic”
    So, a few more details after a couple of weeks playing the shit out of this thing: 

- You can absolutely boost the clean channel to get some light grit. I don’t know where the clipping originates in this case, but it doesn’t sound bad to me.
    - Voice 4 on the drive channel is identical to the clean channel. 
    - This amp behaves like a real Fender! No sound between 0 and 2, useful levels between 2 and 2.1, breaks windows above 2.2. 

Jon

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yorkie said:
    - You can absolutely boost the clean channel to get some light grit. I don’t know where the clipping originates in this case, but it doesn’t sound bad to me.
    Need to correct the record. That was a mixture of my treble booster circuit distorting at max volume and the preamp distorting. I’ve tweaked a couple of things to make sure the boost is clean and now I’m hitting the preamp even harder. I’ve got the harshest of clippings, unusable stuff. 

So, clean means ‘DSP clean’ on this amp. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72943
    Yorkie said:

Need to correct the record. That was a mixture of my treble booster circuit distorting at max volume and the preamp distorting. I’ve tweaked a couple of things to make sure the boost is clean and now I’m hitting the preamp even harder. I’ve got the harshest of clippings, unusable stuff. 

So, clean means ‘DSP clean’ on this amp. 
    Why does it matter, if you got a good sound before with the pedal distorting?

I’ve never understood the need to have ‘amp only distortion’ or use a pedal purely to push the amp harder. Some of the best sounds are from a combination of amp and pedal distortion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Why does it matter, if you got a good sound before with the pedal distorting?

I’ve never understood the need to have ‘amp only distortion’ or use a pedal purely to push the amp harder. Some of the best sounds are from a combination of amp and pedal distortion.
    It doesn't. This was just research. I won't dislike or sell the amp because the preamp doesn't purr. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72943
    Yorkie said:

This was just research.
    Ah, I see :). I suppose that’s the sort of thing I do too, although since I never use a pedal to push an amp harder, that case wouldn’t have occurred to me to test…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein