Fender Super Champ XD / X2 - potential purchase questions

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1546
    ICBM said:
    Yorkie said:

This was just research.
    Ah, I see :). I suppose that’s the sort of thing I do too, although since I never use a pedal to push an amp harder, that case wouldn’t have occurred to me to test…
    My treble booster was my first design and perfboard pedal — I added a knob to control the frequency range, going from full-range clean boost to mid/treble push. I also added a gain control, which was clearly set too high the other day. 

All these funky tests usually have nothing to do with music production. I’m just curious. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    One other thing I'm going to try is put the SCXD (min. 8 ohm) through the Creamback in the DSL40 (16 ohm), as the speakers in both have jack connectors. I'm guessing it won't sound Fender-y anymore? Also 10" vs 12"... let's see what happens to the bass response. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    It will probably sound *less* Fendery, but not *not* Fendery, at least for the clean sounds. What I would also expect is that the more Marshally/high-gain sounds on the other channel sound better/more accurate. I think of speaker choice as the final link in the chain, but isn’t more important than the overall amp design, if that makes sense.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It'll also be quieter than the SCXD speaker, as it is 16 ohm right? 
    The difference in magnet size is huge too :open_mouth: 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Yorkie said:
    It'll also be quieter than the SCXD speaker, as it is 16 ohm right?
    It should be about the same, or even a bit louder - you only lose about 20% of the power with that sort of mismatch with a valve amp, and the 12” speaker will be more sensitive which will at least compensate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    ICBM said:
    It will probably sound *less* Fendery, but not *not* Fendery, at least for the clean sounds. What I would also expect is that the more Marshally/high-gain sounds on the other channel sound better/more accurate. I think of speaker choice as the final link in the chain, but isn’t more important than the overall amp design, if that makes sense.
    Yep agreed.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Been having fun stereoing up mine recently. Had brilliant tones across many of the settings - this one in particular:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>