Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

(What's the Story) Morning Glory? Resmastered

What's Hot
Yeah, yeah, it's not as good as Definitely Maybe. Bullshit. It's the best album of the 90's, soundtrack to my early teens and now it's been remastered.

My god it's excellent. Most remasters you can barely tell the difference, but I've just downloaded having been impressed by Some Might Say on youtube. 

It's astoundingly better. All the mush has gone. Highly recommended.

How much are those new Epiphone Union Jack Sheratons...?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73083
    It's astoundingly better. All the mush has gone.
    Have they fixed the lyrics, the vocals and the plagiarism too?

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;365609" said:

;)
    I 'get' the Oasis hate but what they had in their heyday was spirit. Given a straight choice between the mannered, overly thought-through cleverness of Blur or the uncultured roar of Oasis, I'll take the Mancs every time.

Or should that be 'tie-ime-ah'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

;)
    :D

There's little plagiarism that isn't credited in the sleeve notes. And Liam's still a knob, but his voice is at its best on this record. 

And are you saying that "Slowing walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball" isn't the greatest nonsense lyric of the 90's?

I'm less bothered about the forthcoming remaster of Be Here Now though, I must say. Unless they rearrange each song to be 60% as long with 130% of the cocaine content I can't see it becoming a classic.
  • did they switch the brick wall compressors off?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(What's_the_Story)_Morning_Glory%3F

"The brickwall mastering technique utilised during the recording of the album has led to some journalists claiming that it was responsible for initiating the loudness war, as its heavy use of compression, first widely used by Morris on Definitely Maybe, was leaps and bounds beyond what any other album up until then had attempted. Music journalist Nick Southall, who has written extensively on the loudness war, commented, "If there's a jump-the-shark moment as far as CD mastering goes then it's probably Oasis."[11] In Britpop and the English Music Tradition Andy Bennet and John Stratton noted that as a result of this technique "the songs were especially loud. [Liam] Gallagher's voice is foregrounded to the point that it appears to grow out of the mixes of the songs, exposing itself to execute a pseudo-live quality."[12]"
  • I don't think it's the best album of the 90's by a long chalk, but it does piss all over the other mainstream stuff that was around at that specific time (The Verve excepted). 

I don't mind Oasis in small doses, but the one compilation CD I have is definitely louder than other CD's I've got. That mixing style works very well on AM radio though IMO. 

Funnily enough, they remind me of Guns n Roses, not musically, but emotionally. They're either full on, in your face raucous types, or coming over all soppy. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27775
    edited September 2014
    Ok, maybe not the best album of the 90's, that's OK Computer or Achtung Baby, but it's the best of the britpop era by far. I was in mid-Supernova when I wrote that!

• Ok, maybe not the best album of the 90's, that's OK Computer or Achtung Baby, but it's the best of the britpop era by far. I was in mid-Supernova when I wrote that!

I'll give you that! 

Although do the Verve count as Britpop? I always preferred them from that era because they could get a groove going, and at their best they could swing.  

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2014
    It's not a remaster, it's a remix.... but the term 'remaster' seems to sell stuff better.  I like the new versions but I don't think they would have been as successful in the mid 90s market where Oasis albums presented with far more attitude and in-your-face noise than a lot of softer and drippier Britpop/indie undercurrent.  We look back and probably think "It's all a bit too much" but it was very much front line for that time.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17916
    tFB Trader
    I'll be interested to have a listen. 

Most remastered albums sound horrible compared to the original as usually they are just mastering them really hot in the modern tradition. The recent Queen remasters are a case in point.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Ok, maybe not the best album of the 90's, that's OK Computer or Achtung Baby,

bitch be trolling.
    :-?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    frankus said:
    Ok, maybe not the best album of the 90's, that's OK Computer or Achtung Baby,

bitch be trolling.
    :-?
    Definitely, everyone knows it's Spice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17916
    tFB Trader
    I had a listen. It's slight improvement on the original but fundamentaly I think it's badly recorded and you can't fix things like a weedy acoustic sound in the mix.
  • The songs have dated somewhat, IMO, and some of them were rubbish in the first place (come on, did ANYBODY think Roll With It was good enough when it came out?) so i dont really see what a fancypants remastering will add to the experience. Loved it at the time, but happy to leave it where it is, i.e. back in the 90's

• RocknRollDave;366325" said:
    The songs have dated somewhat
    They weren't 'contempory' at the time - Oasis were never at the cutting edge of creativity.

What they did was inject something raw/belligerent into music at a time when the charts were populated by Mariah Carey and Celine Dion. Full of rough edges, uncultured, unskilled - but not manufactured.

For a short time music had some 'grit' again.

Roll With It was meaningless and exciting; Country House was a meaningless critique of Blur's manager (IIRC) - and ultimately pointless.

If 'Roll With It' came on the car radio tomorrow, I'd turn it up and sing along - loudly....
  • I disagree. Rock n Roll Star was meaningless and exciting. Roll With It was meaningless and dull.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    ICBM said:

;)
    Yes, buy it.

The songs have dated somewhat, IMO, and some of them were rubbish in the first place (come on, did ANYBODY think Roll With It was good enough when it came out?)
    You gotta take your time.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    The demo version of 'She's Electric' that's on the Deluxe box set it quite good.
    Sounds like some bloke down the pub but it's quite naively charming because of that.

Skarloey said:
    Although do the Verve count as Britpop? 

Yeah definitely. 'A Storm In Heaven' was 1993 - BritPop was essentially 93-97. 
    By far their best album, in fact I'd put The Verve in that category (in another thread) of bands that went downhill after their first album.
    Nick McCabe's guitar sound is amazing on that album. The preceding albums had good tracks on them but they dropped that massive guitar sound that made 'Storm' so good.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27775
    The songs have dated somewhat, IMO, and some of them were rubbish in the first place (come on, did ANYBODY think Roll With It was good enough when it came out?) so i dont really see what a fancypants remastering will add to the experience. Loved it at the time, but happy to leave it where it is, i.e. back in the 90's
    Piff! I like Roll With It. It's simple music, but it's good music. WTSMG is still hugely underrated next to Definitely Maybe, which is definitely overrated imo.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    I remember getting rat arsed listening to oasis all day long in the local. They were never off the juke box!. We could even skin up in the pub in them days. Great days for me !  Gonna live foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr! ps went to see them in Bolton and they were ace!
  • Thank god they didn't use Brendan Lynch's mix of Champagne Supernova, I love his work on Weller's Stanley Road and OCS Moseley Shoals but he killed CS.
    Not listened to it all but I've enjoyed hearing little riffs here and there that were buried in the noise before. 
    WTSMG is a massive album for me too as I was just getting into music when it came out. 
    Every subsequent album has seemed to coincide with a big event in my life (Be Here Now - leaving school, Dig Out Your Soul - Daughter's birth as two examples) so I feel like the band really has soundtracked my life, looking forward to Noel's next album.