Favourite F/X

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
edited August 2013 in FX

Does anyone (other than me) have a specific effect they reach for when they're stumped?

I either add phaser (Script logo phase 90, C/O Not_the_DJ) or Wah (Weeping Demon C/O Bidley, or Crybaby).

I have the phaser set at roughly 1 o'clock, and love it.

Although I have a whole bunch of other F/X (Delay, flanger etc) I always seem to go for one of them, like a comfort blanket.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Flanger, delay or reverb for me. Reverb specifically for cleans
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    If we are excluding drive variants then it's Trem for me closely followed by chorus. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I was assuming that drive was covered by the basic sound, rather than F/X.

I'll not dis-allow anything though, if it's either pedal/rack or modeller done then it's fair game.

I used pedals for mine, as that's what I (ab)use......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I use a Tech 21 pedal more often than not, just for the clean sound - either a Tri-OD or Tri-AC.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• rprrpr Frets: 316
    most useful pedal is my (Morley branded) Award Session JD 10-  brilliant for DI recording and making bland amps sound fab.  Favorite pedal at mo is the Digitech Grunge, which is hilariously good fun
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2085
    edited August 2013
    Hmmm

Reverb, then tremolo, then delay, then rotary/vibe

I dabble with phaser/ flanger/ chorus but it never seems to sound any good when I use them.

I suppose it depends what style of music you are playing, really. I'm primarily Blues/Americana (with a bit of Gilmoury stuff when no-one's looking) so my core fx reflect that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Phaser, usually. (Boss PH-1R.)

Tremolo is great too, so much so that I used to leave it - set subtly so you could barely tell - on all the time, like reverb. (Both are on the amp.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    I frequently have a Boss CS3 Compressor / Sustainer on the whole time with attack and decay set to max, then use a volume pedal to change between rhythm and lead.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30130
    I have delay on all the time. So probably wah.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I always find myself coming back to my fuzz. It is just so much fun to play through.

I also like my reverb a lot (although not at the same time as any overdrives, it's quite a "big" spring sound so it's terrible with anything other than a clean tone).
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    If in doubt, I tend to use the modulated delay in my Flashback.

If I'm really in doubt, I'll stick another delay after it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    combination of delay + reverb. I love rocking back and forth on a wah whilst I tremolo the shit out of a scale or two.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902

If I'm having a bad day playing, I end up sticking the Delay on and start noodling to backing tracks. I use the Delay Pedal a lot.

Out of my gear, my fave pedals for Lead playing is either red or blue Bogner pedals with the El Capistan for talent boost.

If I want a good Rhythm playing workout, I like to bung the Keeley Comp on, and add optional Funky Spice with the Phaser or mild Flange.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • I'm a dreadful 80s throw-back; Pedal Mods modded CE-2. I love 'good' (ie warm-sounding) analogue chorus. My fave pedal by far.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    With the band it'd be Wah.

At home I tend to use a lot of delay. The Echorec setting on the TC Alter Ego is fantastically. 
  • dandldandl Frets: 36
    EHX Graphic Fuzz for me. absolutely in love with this pedal !
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

If I'm having a bad day playing, I end up sticking the Delay on and start noodling to backing tracks. I use the Delay Pedal a lot.

Out of my gear, my fave pedals for Lead playing is either red or blue Bogner pedals with the El Capistan for talent boost.

If I want a good Rhythm playing workout, I like to bung the Keeley Comp on, and add optional Funky Spice with the Phaser or mild Flange.

Wow- they sell talent boosts now??  Sign me up!!!

I, also, have amp reverbs that I love and leave on all the time.  To the point that it just sounds too flat/dry without it.

Because of this, I ended up buying a Boss Tremolo, and a couple of chorus's- even though the ones on the amp are great. (they just get ignored in favor of the reverb)  Those would be my favorite effects.  Trem is such a lovely sound, and a chorus just adds so much depth to a clean tone.   ( Corona chorus, boss super chorus, and TC Gravy)

I also love my Carbon Copy- in modulated mode.

Now that I've figured out how to use them effectively, I love my Phase 90 and my Boss Flanger, too.  11:00 on the phaser is my favorite setting, too-esp in conjunction with my OCD.

My Boss Super Chorus pretty much lives in front of my bass amp.

I do NOT have this, but wish I did:  The V2 Mustangs have the new pitch shifter on them that can transform any guitar into a baritone.  I saw Damon from Fender demoing it, and it tracked so well, you couldn't even tell he was using an effect!

• ragingbenragingben Frets: 111
    My all time favorite is the WMD Geiger Counter, every time you use it you find a sound in there you have never heard before that inspires you to just play. In terms of practical it is probably a compressor in general, and although I haven't had it long the G-Labs BC-1 is really floating my boat, always on in one form or another.
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Always have some kind of compressor and delay handy. I can use a compressor to get anything from quacky clean stuff to loud boost and get away without dirt if needs be. Delay goes from really subtle to standard lead delay. I can do most things with those two if I'm in a pinch. Doesn't really matter what they are.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902

@Pyroman

It's hard to narrow down really, I think different combinations of pedals work great for various music styles. My Ola chorus I love and it's even better on the Multi setting. I think I wanted to replicate tones from all the music that I like and basically had to get damn near every pedal type on the market(well not quite) to achieve it.

I'm still thinking of getting a Fuzz, just because I don't have one, I didn't think a Fuzz was necessary for my requirements at the time but I think I was wrong and a POG would be fun also. I will have to sound out the V2 Mustang you mentioned, sounds great with the ability to acheive a Baritone sound. Would a POG be a similar beast? I would have thought they were alike in function.

Only a Fool Would Say That.