Larrivee OM-03BH

What's Hot
I think I have a problem lol...

My "local" shop had an OM44R (OM40 rosewood with lacquer) and also one of the Bhilwara guitars so I thought I'd take a trip before I head to Rome for a week...

OM44R was lovely. So much bass response... I was almost sold until I tried the OM-03 satin Bhilwara with moon spruce top. Blind test, it sounded better than the rosewood and walnut in store (staff agreed, too). It has as much bass as my OM40 mahogany but without the scalopped bracing (I prefer the non-scalloped bracing, to me it has a "sound" and it feels better to play, silly as that may sound). The difference in mids compared to the rosewood was stark and gave it such character. Definitely a mix of rosewood and mahogany which, to me, is something special.

As soon as I picked it up, it FELT right and sounded fantastic. The neck on the OM-03 feels slightly chunkier (same as my parlour and OM02) than my OM40, and the OM44R. I think that's down to slight variations in manufacture but I like it. The OM-03 walnut in store had a flatter neck so it's not just down to the model.

So, not many of these made and it's got that special vine inlay which I love. Setup is perfect, no issues I can spot. This feels like a special one.

So that's my third new Larrivee in as many months!! It does highlight to me that I prefer a guitar with more mids - and to have that extra bass without the scalloping is pretty cool.

The rosewood parlour in store was good. That wood on that small guitar really highlights the bass. And I told the shop owner to PLEASE not order an OOV-03 or I'd have to buy it.

Sometimes you pick a guitar up and it's instant chemistry. I had to have it and look forward to trying it out alongside my 'hog guitars after my holiday. Picture to follow... (Back and sides not shown but you can see that anywhere online)
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1860
    Very nice Thomas. Beauty of a guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    Very nice.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I have to say I could sell all others and just keep this. The characteristics of Bhilwara... Has the mahogany quack plus the low end chunk of rosewood. LOVE this. 

Until the next one lol ..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1860
    I have to say I could sell all others and just keep this. The characteristics of Bhilwara... Has the mahogany quack plus the low end chunk of rosewood. LOVE this. 

Until the next one lol ..
    You must be close to being a Larrivee endorsed artist by now!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15515
    I think it's fair to say you are now the big boss of the larrivee fan club. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Very nice mate.

Yep, I remember when I got a Gibson Dove. I didn't go looking for that, i
    I'd gone to try an Atkin Essential D and their D37 but I knew as soon as I picked 'em up that they weren't for me. Good guitars, I'm sure, but just felt meh to me. 

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2023
    Thanks, guys - I looove Larrivee lol...

Mellish, definitely... I had zero plans to buy and things are a bit tight but when I played the first chord, I knew I had to buy it... Before somebody else did and I had the regret!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I do like the "vintage" headstock on the 44
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    edited March 2023
    So, one of these for £4,499....
    Martin OM-28 Modern Deluxe VTS Top | PMT Online

...or two of these for £2,074 each ...
    Larrivee Limited Runs & Special Editions | OM-03 - Peach Guitars

No brainer, although not just about price is it.

Congrats on finding Larrivee, looks lovely @thomasross20 . Have fun.
    Bertie yeah I agree that looks nice. 

DavidR definitely.... I'm a massive Larrivee fan and believe they provide best bang for buck. Tempted to try one of these Martin Ooo-18 modern deluxe but £3.8k yikes. 

If get a chance to try Bhilwara then I'd recommend. Very unique sound
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497

IMO, 'Bhilwara' aka Indian Laurel is like a better version of Indian Rosewood.  I'm genuinely perplexed at how some see it to be an inferior choice to Indian Rosewood. 

I remember coming across this video

In terms of bass/treble/middle it just seems so beautifully balanced across the range, but still has a lot of depth and character. I find some tonewoods described to be a cross between rosewood and mahogany to be a bit bland, but I think Laurel is one of the superior ones.  I think it's a cross between Indian Rosewood and Ebony.

How are you finding the 'Moon Spruce'? There seems to be some 'hocus pocus' associated with the term but I think it's just excellent quality European Spruce. AFAIK there are only a few places that harvest spruce trees in this way, I think Florinett in Switzerland is one of the main ones.  They only cut a few days in the year, seems a responsible way to source wood as well.  I have a couple of guitars with 'Moon Spruce', I find it to be the 'most pure'/Hifi form of spruce I own, which isn't to say it's better or worse than other Spruces. 

Seems like you picked an absolute winner of a guitar.

Delighted for you Tommy!  Enjoy your holiday to Rome my friend.

edited March 2023
    Hello from Rome! 

Only had a good hour with it but I agree, it's more geared toward mahogany (lots of character) but with the snap and increased range of rosewood. Guy in the shop is a big rosewood fan and he said the Bhilwara sounded better, before I'd expressed any preference. 

Yeah I think moon spruce is harvest once annually during a particular part of the lunar cycle , apparently like Stradivarius! It looks great and sounds great, too hard to say just now, though. 

It really is a belter and I'm a sucker for the vine inlay. 

Right, best get back into this holiday
    Btw on the subject of Larrivee and their special tonewood runs.... Check out their OM40 Padauk videos on YouTube. That tonewood sounds absolutely amazing.
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this but I'm seeing Tommy Emmanuel and Mike Dawes tonight. Should have brought the guitar for signing. Unsure whether to get the $50 add on for a meet and greet or just enjoy the gig
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think one of these (or an OM-03 of some description depending on variants available later in the year) may have just gone on my shortlist…
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5464
    edited March 2023
    That is almost too much, @thomasross20 Going to see either one of Tommy or Mike would be a very special experience. Both at once ... strewth! Two amazing players.
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    As much as I'd love to see Tommy and Mike live, there's no way I'd let either of them (or anyone else for that matter) anywhere near one of my prized possessions with a pen!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5464
    Quite so @Shadow. Nor would I pay the extra fifty quid for a meet and greet. What sort of meaningful conversation are you going to have? Ans: none. Sure, Tommy is a great communicator, open and welcoming and maybe Mike is too - but that's a pass from me. I've met a few famous people by chance and enjoyed long conversations with them (I'm particularly thinking of a footballer and a pioneering wildlife photographer) but a lineup and a quick handshake "how are you, nice to meet you"? No thanks. 

(Mrs Tannin and I are off to see Tommy in Hobart in April. I am sure that we will love it.)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 2023
    I think one of these (or an OM-03 of some description depending on variants available later in the year) may have just gone on my shortlist…
    if you're looking at more "martin -y"   check the legacy/trad series
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.